Posted: Nov 15th 2008 9:44AM Evy said

"I'm ready to be amazed by a barrage of fresher experiences, wilder worlds. And really, aren't most of us by now?"

Definitely. I love the fantasy genre, but I'm also ready for something new. Let's get some variety in here, people!

Posted: Nov 15th 2008 10:54AM (Unverified) said

Aion could be described as high fantasy. But it's definitely not the same kind of fantasy as WoW, LotR, or WAR.

I think it also qualifies as highly anticipated. If it does really well in the Korean market, NC Soft will have the capital to continually refine it, a similar advantage Blizzard has built on with WoW.

Posted: Nov 15th 2008 11:14AM (Unverified) said

I don't wanna see any fantasy or medievale for at least 15 years.

Posted: Nov 15th 2008 6:05PM J Brad Hicks said

"I don't wanna see any fantasy or medievale for at least 15 years."

I Agree With This Comment. Seriously, how many D&D knockoffs do we need? Aren't we way overdue to try something else?

Posted: Nov 15th 2008 12:19PM Minofan said

I'd place Aion on the upcoming fantasy game list too, myself, and Stargate on the sci-fi list.

I can see where you are coming from with this article, but really how many of those non-fantasy games you listed are REALLY going head-to-head with / replacing the fantasy behemoths ?

Champions & DC = 4 button console-controller action games.

APB & Agency = first-person shooter.
( Guessing at APB since info a bit vague, but I'd be surprised if the Unreal engine is being used in some other way. )

Jumpgate = piloting shooter.

Star Trek = anyone's guess, at this point.

Having played Stargate I am surprised how much of a MMORPG it is, and expect Star Wars will play similalry - but the rest of them ?

They really have no gameplay connection at all to WoW, WAR, LotR etc. - and presumably not even comparable business models ( surely Champions, DC and The Agency have low-to-zero subscription fees ? ).

I don't see the next generation of FPS and console-actioners support massive numbers of players online constitutes them succeeding the current ( fantasy dominated ) MMOs - even if they do provide more / fresher fun, none of them are even aiming to compete with the depth of what are currently considered MMOs...

Crafting ?
Loot tables ?
Player housing ?
Raids ?

Most of the listed games "stack up against" the fantasy behemoths like Spore stacks up against Civilisation - same platforms, different genres.

Posted: Nov 15th 2008 12:54PM (Unverified) said

First off, let me be clear that I'm not talking about "replacing" or "killing" anything. WoW, WAR and LotRO are all going to see expansions and subs over the coming years. But the trend is most definitely going away from fantasy for games in-development.

I don't think you've got a valid argument when you use that sort of reduction. I've played Champions Online and Jumpgate Evolution, both games are very much MMOs in the complexity sense. Just because the combat is shooter-style in Jumpgate Evolution or action-heavy in Champions and DCUO does not mean those games aren't as deep or engaging as their fantasy counterparts.

Also, all of these games are going to have crafting, loot tables and raids of some variant. Player housing to me seems like a fairly overrated feature. It sounds really cool on paper, but only appeals to a minority of players in actual implementation. It's a nice thing to see, but it's also hardly a "must-have" feature.

And the Aion stuff, well we'll see. What does well in the Asian markets hasn't been able to do nearly as well in the NA and EU markets. Aion is supposedly going to be able to break this trend through its design, but we won't know until it's been out for a while. The game is certainly within the fantasy genre, but it's a strange sort of anime-influenced thing that I don't see as typical "High Fantasy" like in LotRO, WoW or even WAR. Plus it's got that whole flying with wings thing happening.

Posted: Nov 18th 2008 4:56PM (Unverified) said

Someone please tell me when Warhammer "40K" MMO comes out.