Posted: Nov 14th 2008 2:26PM mandarin said

Cant really read the image font.
What do COH merits do to the character? I played COH before and all they seem to be doing are labels. Nothing new there.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 2:37PM Killing Chronos said

It's basically a new form a currency in the game. Rather than getting random recipe drops for completing TF/SF/etc. (which can sometimes be useless to your character - a tank getting a pet damage recipe) you'll get 'tokens' which you can trade in for what you really want.

I think it's a really good thing for the game... will lead to faster character completion (from an enhancement/sets POV) and will reduce the grinding needed to get that one recipe that never seems to drop for ya. I've played for over 3 years and I've still never gotten a Miracle Unique Recipe drop. :(

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 2:40PM Killing Chronos said

ok obviously whoever transcribed this conversation doesn't play the game...

"You can go and buy a luminous convalescence, +recovery +regeneration enhancement, if you want to."

What the hell is a "luminous convalescence"?!?! He said "Numina's Convalescence" .... which is a highly sought after recipe. Anyone who's played the game for a reasonable period of time would know that.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 2:59PM (Unverified) said

Actually I've played pretty extensively ... just couldn't understand what he said on the recording.

Fixed. Thanks for the note!

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 4:07PM Heraclea said

Most of the controversy regarding this system stems from the fact that they are using datamining rather than design intent to fix the merit rewards for certain tasks.

This leads to seriously skewed results. On beta, for example, the "Eden Trial" is rewarded with 2 merits. This is a fairly substantial undertaking for most players, and if played by design and intent takes more than 1 1/2 hours. But the key to finishing it is obtaining certain "inspirations" (short lived buffs) that drop from certain monsters in the trial. These inspirations, however, are transferrable items.

People who want a quick reward can purchase the inspirations from the in game auction house and complete the main task very quickly. This skews the results.

Posted: Dec 5th 2008 5:38PM (Unverified) said

this system doesn't reward right. It rewards the big supergroups who probably already have all the sets/recipes they'll be getting with these merits, but for the casual gamer, running those arcs AGAIN and AGAIN is boring and it takes to long to get merits vs big grouping monkeys. I'm not into big groups, I duo. I spent 3 hours to get 17 merits vs a person I know doing big nerd groups that got 105 merits. Now I don't even do the beloved radio or newspaper missions because the reward is nothing. Experience sure isn't a reward, I can powerlevel myself to 50 in no time. Merits though,.. have to do lame storyarcs and travel ALL over the whole map, zoning many many times.. it's dull and the kill all missions in those maps with 8 elevators or more... too much work. It's a poorly thought out system. It was a good idea but fails badly for the casual player who only clocks in like 7 hours in a week on X-Fire. I'll be 2012 before I get everything at this rate. EPIC Fail Positron.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM