Posted: Nov 14th 2008 10:13AM (Unverified) said

I think they should go the route of unlocks and level-ups.

Since there's no such thing as a Level 3 Furry or Level 6 Land Baron, then the things to unlock would be the stuff people keep asking for that already exist as features, but have some kind of limit on them:

- Additional Group Slots
- Permanent email-to-avatar gateways
- Discounts on Classified postings
- Ability to post more events per day than 3

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 10:19AM (Unverified) said

I hope they add rather than subtract premium benefits. Since I have a grandfathered account and a new account I would have an automatic reaction to them eliminating the stipend. Quite simply, I would dump my land, have both become free accounts, and probably cost LL more when it comes to resources used and such.

My grandfathered stipend is the main reason why I keep my older paid account a premium one. My newer account is a premium because it was the cheepest way to get 512 more of tier.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 2:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure how creating another premium account is the cheapest way to get another 512 more of tier. According to land pricing, it costs an extra $5/month to add 512 to your existing account.
According to the membership page new accounts cost "as low as" $6/ month so that's $12/year more expensive.
Unless you were thinking of creating 3 accounts to create a group and get an extra 10% of land for a group, I can't see how it could be any better at all.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 11:38AM (Unverified) said

Good article.
I have a few additional notes.

For a short period of time, in between the 500L and 300L stipend there was a 400L stipend. I believe this period lasted 1 month. But, it was grandfathered like the 500L one. I'm sure a few people have it.

Also, there is a bug that prevents referrals from registering on LL's side premium upgrade bonuses from being paid out to referrers. This may be reducing the number of premium signups, and affecting the economic incentive for upgrading to premium, namely, the incentive of having you friend get 2000L bonus from LL after 2 of your payment cycles. There is a SL JIRA issue for it: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-841

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 12:39PM (Unverified) said

I suspect I blinked and missed the L$400/w stipends.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 12:06PM (Unverified) said

The money paid out in premium stipends: does LL actually purchase that currency on Lindex, or simply "mint" new L$? The latter would create some inflationary pressure, true, but it would mean no US$ cost for LL. And how big of an inflationary effect would it be, compared to the overall size of the economy?

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 12:44PM (Unverified) said

It is minted currency, but currency minted for stipends cannot be sold on the Lindex, and so represents a diminishment of future earnings.

A stable economy requires the currency pool to grow or shrink in direct proportion to the availability of goods/services within the economy. RL economies attempt to create that balance, but it is difficult to achieve, and leads to all sorts of problems. GDP and GNP are optimistic approximations.

The Lab manages to do it with elegant simplicity since all currency trading is - essentially - a foreign exchange activity. Stipends + the sales by Supply Linden neatly encapsulate the growth of goods/services availability within SL.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 1:41PM (Unverified) said

maybe if you're a premium then LL will let you post on comment on their blog?

Premium is really a joke--it only allows you to buy more stuff? LL must be one of the few online sites that forces you to pay in order to buy from them. If you have a good product, why wouldn't you want everyone buying it rather than force people through a paywall? And why not just rent from landbarons who seem to take anyone at anytime?

er...are people really that dumb? /me remembers I had a premium account until earlier this week. Stop the insanity! LDS intervention pls!

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 2:48PM (Unverified) said

This evaluation hinges on the notion that every L$ given out is a lost Supply Linden sale, which is a somewhat contested interpretation.
It is possible that those with Premium currently simply wouldn't be spending as much money to buy L$ on the Lindex if they were not premium, forcing LL to adjust the sinks (or inject L$ in other, non-paid-for ways) to hold the value steady.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 3:14PM (Unverified) said

There was also a time when you had to pay $10 to make a non-premium account, however you got a L$50 stipend. I've got one of those grandfathered in, so LL is practically bleeding money into my account while I pay nothing.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 3:26PM (Unverified) said

Tony: subtract the 300/wk stipend then compare than to 60/yr for the 512

Posted: Nov 15th 2008 3:55PM (Unverified) said

The Enterprise Level Support is $25,000 USD per year. I checked into it. Only Anshe and the biggest of the big can possibly afford that.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 5:33PM (Unverified) said

Tier should be more granular without having to set up an alt and forming a group in order to limit tier cost. For instance, if I'm at $75 and I want 1k more land I have to start paying $125 for a bunch of tier I don't really need. I could bring an alt to premium, plus the 1k tier level, which means LL has to service me twice with stipends.

So the problem here is not really premium, but the tier system. If it were more granular, I'd be more enticed to make a small leap over $75/month, which is obviously what LL wants, remain below concierge level, which is also what LL wants, and get only one stipend payment, which is also also what LL wants.

So let's reform the tier system for the better.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 12:56PM (Unverified) said

Cinco has an excellent suggestion. I'm right at the 1/2 sim level and if incremental tier charges were available I would now be up to about 3/4 sim but making that first 16 sqm purchase that bumps you into the next tier is a barrier that is too expensive to cross.

Posted: Nov 27th 2008 8:04AM (Unverified) said

There are several ways to add more value for Premiums.

Expansion of Group limit.
A more detailed, more informative and interactive Big Map both inworld and outworld.
Expanded outworld management of inworld matters, like;
Group management
Event planning > 3
Smart embedded e-mail support (inworld and outworld)
Smart embedded IM support
etc etc etc

Full website application into inworld objects.

Uploads for L$0 of L$5
Additional quality software applications to support easier creation of content
outworld to be easily embedded inworld, for example: clothes, textures, primitive
building, song list streaming, 3D modelling, sculpting, etc etc etc.

etc etc etc

Not saying that all needs to be done, but there are many option to add value for
Premiums i suppose.

Linda

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 11:18AM (Unverified) said

Perhaps Linden could go through their records and start to eliminate inactive accounts... say those that have not logged on for more then 6 months to 1 year. Some of the older accounts have land that was free and they could get that back for auction sales.

OOO how about a spell checker for Premium =)

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 11:28AM (Unverified) said

There was a plan last year to eliminate most of a million accounts that had never logged in even once. There's no sign that it ever happened, however.

We're still curious as to what happened.

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale