Posted: Nov 13th 2008 4:20PM Thac0 said

Yes, Blizzard gets a free pass because they put out quality software....

Ummm I think they have just as many issues as any other game. When I was still playing WoW (this was post burning crusade) they were still putting out "rebalancing patches"! two years after release!

The more likely answer to your question is that because its Blizzard and WoW has been out for so long everyone has become numb to the constant issues that blizzard has and they know the game will continue anyhow just as it has.

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 4:45PM (Unverified) said

Honestly, the WoW launch was pretty terrible. The TBC launch was not so hot. The Wrath launch sounds pretty bad too. They're no better at launching MMOs then anyone else, and arguably much slower at fixing bugs and adding content then almost any other MMO out there. For whatever reason, WoW just gets a free pass. I think THACO nailed it -- the players are just numb. They don't expect it to be perfect, and when it's not, just shrug their shoulders and move on.

Considering their continued difficulties it seems the only lesson Blizzard learned from WoW and TBC launches is that they don't need to improve because nobody is going to call them on it anyway.

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 5:28PM Abriael said

"It seems more likely to me that Blizzard simply has far more fanboys that most new games, people who will willingly put up with any amount of bugs for their preciousness."

This.

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 7:17PM J Brad Hicks said

"Spend a little more money and spend a little more time if it is necessary to make the highest quality game that you can make" sounds like lovely advice, I used to give it myself. But there comes a point where the money that can be raised to continue working on an MMO just flatly runs out, and that point always comes before the MMO is completely done. Always. Even with WoW, you'll recall, which was hardly feature-complete on day one. At that point you face a choice: tell the investors, "sorry, never mind, we give up" or ship it as it is and hope for the best.

No one, ever in the history of the MMO industry, has beat this problem. The best anybody can do is have enough good karma saved up from prior titles that people trust you to fix it eventually. If Blizzard hadn't had Warcraft II, Diablo, Starcraft, and Diablo II to point to, people wouldn't have been so forgiving of WoW's launch problems. Right now, a substantial number of Warhammer Online's staunchest fans are people who have fond memories of Dark Age of Camelot, and it remains to be seen if there are enough of them to sustain the company's cash flow until the game is polished and feature-complete.

I sincerely hope so. I loathe WoW, and rather count on there being alternatives with enough people in them to find people to play with.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 12:34PM (Unverified) said

The sky in Northrend is probably the most beautiful I've ever seen in any game....in general. I installed and have been running without any hitches whatsoever, no FPS issues, no lag, nothing. I'm also running a Core2 Quad Extreme 6850 processor, which helps in WoW, but didn't in Warhammer. Despite how rediculous my computer is, Warhammer never failed stutter randomly while playing.

As for lore, Warcraft lore was NEVER, I repeat NEVER, ripped off of Warhammer lore. Character designs on the other hand were blatantly ripped off, but the lore is pretty original and well designed (except the bain of the WoW's existance imo, Draenai).

I'll defend WAR on lots of issues, but dammit Abriael, stop trolling.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 12:35PM (Unverified) said

Curse missing reply buttons! That was supposed to go lower!

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 8:22AM (Unverified) said

Yes there were bugs the day before the release...but yanno what? Loading, installing and playing Wrath was flawless. I wasn't kicked out once. Everything was beatiful, there was no lag (I have some fps issues looking up at the AMAZING sky for long periods of time, but that was it). Wrath launched flawlessly.

Unfortunately for WAR, I'm canceling my sub to them. At this point in time, nothing can beat WoW for me at the moment. It's perfect for the casual gamer, easy on less than top end machines, and the content is so full of lore and meaningful for me that I can't see myself going back to WAR anytime soon.

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 11:09AM Evy said

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised. My installation was smooth, Northrend is beautiful, and the server is stable. Yay!

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 12:11PM Abriael said

Content full of lore? Maybe. But what lore? A warped version of the warcraft lore that's already a pre-teen-friendly version of the warhammer lore. And even more teen-ized with the laughable stretch they did to include the death knight in the ranks of alliance and horde (because of course, in wow you can't be evil, it would upset the 10 years old).

As of the flawless launch, having fps issues while looking at the sky (a sky that, by the way, has a lot to learn from certain skyes in warhammer, that incidentally don't lag you)? That's so laughable that it's not even worth commenting.

In any case launching an expansion based on a 4 years old engine that moves models comparable to 6-8 years old games isn't really tyhe hardest thing in the world.
Comparing it with launching a new game is totally off-mark.

Posted: Nov 19th 2008 11:45AM (Unverified) said

I agree, the launch of Wrath was pretty flawless. Very little lag, no server crashes, I have only run into 1 bugged quest so far - and had a very quick GM response.

Graphics/sound/depth of story are all some of the best I've seen in any MMO I've played (UO|EQ|DAOC|COH|LOTRO|EQII|EVE|TR|LII|FFXI - vet here). Simply put, it's been everything it's hyped to be.

There will always be haters in the vocal minority, but the experience I've had playing this xpac is why I play MMOs: FUN. Isn't that novel? All those talking about how it's unoriginal/graphics suck/uninspired/old/teen-heavy are all meaningless to me if I'm having fun. I hope everyone that plays and MMO is having fun playing it - otherwise, what's the point?

Posted: Nov 14th 2008 1:36PM (Unverified) said

I can't wait for MMO's to arrive for cell phones. Ever since I started working with Motorola, I have become a huge fan of the Krave. I wonder what game play would be like on it's massive touch screen. Has anyone else seen it? motorola.com/krave. It's got a massive list of key features that have made this phone my top pick.