Posted: Nov 12th 2008 6:43PM Zantom said

BRING IT ON!

I just finished listening to the full 11 book audio series (very well done btw)... and I was thinking, this would make a SWEET MMO. I hope they do it right, but the world setting is very rich and a perfect setting. I want to be an Asha'man baby!

Posted: Nov 12th 2008 6:53PM (Unverified) said

Light! This is great news for fans of the WoT series. It's a shame Robert Jordan (James Oliver Rigney) passed away so young. I believe RJ would have loved to be involved with Red Eagle's MMO regarding the WoT's vast world setting, lore, history, ect. Robert loved to share his passion for epic storytelling and I cant think of a better way to continue his epic WoT series than to share it with the gaming community.

Also, am I the only one who remembers the WoT first person shooter from a few years back? Just wondering...

Posted: Nov 12th 2008 8:05PM (Unverified) said

I think the world could make for a good MMO, even including a PvP element (since many of the eventual 'good' sides start out at each other's throats). There could even be VERY clever PvP if they tried to implement a system where the white tower faction can't actually kill its adversaries, but maybe had more power to make up for it.

I do see some potential if the developers try to innovate and really take advantage of the unique setting. But if they go the more likely route of least resistance, and try to make a WoW-clone, well they are left with a limited PvE experience that will end up sucking all the feeling out of the IP (by giving us tons of pointless grind quests killing rats, bats, and wolves that would not really make me feel like I'm playing a WoT game).

This reeks of an IP that is just trying to take advantage of films being made and make a quick buck. If this MMO does actually ever see the light of day as a film tie-in, I'd give odds that it ends up being a generic, WoW-clone-lite (very lite) that blows chunks.

I really hope they do this, and take the time to do it right, but I won't hold my breath.

Posted: Nov 12th 2008 8:08PM (Unverified) said

Oh yeah, I do remember that FPS WoT game from years back. I actually really liked it for its time. I wasn't a big fan of the way they handled magic (with having to use a relic each time you fired a spell), but it made for some real fun multiplayer.

And I still remember that games rendition of the ways, I thought they did a fantastic job with that, and the whole game! I really hope the MMO people put as much care and thought into the game as the old devs did with that FPS.

Posted: Jan 13th 2009 6:45PM (Unverified) said

no ive got it. the problem was that it was produced in 1999, just before the major gaming jump. its pretty good, i guess

Posted: Nov 12th 2008 7:06PM (Unverified) said

HOT DAMN.

The only problem is there's too many MMOs I like right now, and too many coming out. Where will I find the time? :)

Posted: Nov 12th 2008 8:40PM Ripper McGee said

Don't we already have enough Rand al'Thors in every MMO already on the market :p

Seriously though, it's a good IP for a core crowd, but so were AoC, LotR, and WAR. Do we really need another cool IP fantasy MMO?

I'd rather see a really solid alt-genre MMO like a western!

~Ripper

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 12:04AM (Unverified) said

omg, please don't let it be a terrible MMO.. I don't need games to destroy my favorite series of novels (already one horrid WoT game out...)

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 1:04AM (Unverified) said

Bad Idea very very bad Idea. I've read the WoT series over 5 times and I think this is the worst Idea for a MMO. Where will the game start? Where the books do then when people get bored the Devs jump the shark and start the wars too soon. Plus everyone and their brother will be a boarderlander with Lan in their name somewhere... Please don't ruin one of the Epic Fantasy series of the 2oth century.

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 6:15AM MMOaddict said

HOLY CRAP! About time they decided to do this. I LOVE these books and can't wait for the mmorpg/movies for them. The books already have a huge pool of lore and artwork for the game to use and if any series of books out there has a ton of content for an mmorpg this is it. Tons of cultures, peoples, careers/classes/jobs, music, fireworks, etc. Invading armies from across the sea, aes sedai weilding magic, hell just choosing an aja could be fun as hell. As you can tell I'm extremely psyched about this. With book 12 coming later this year to tie up the series my day is going to be a great day.

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 9:28AM BlindseerJB said

WoT would make an awesome MMO. Sign me up for this one. Can't wait for them to finish book 12, since he left lots of notes for it. RIP RJ :)

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 11:04AM (Unverified) said

HOLY CRAP!!!! My bags are packed!!

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 3:49PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I started reading the first book in the series a couple months ago. I found it very bland; the writing style was too basic, too mechanical, the characters one-dimensional. The story itself didn't seem to contribute anything new or exciting to fantasy fiction, and I got to the point where I thought Jordan was writing pages of (uninteresting) stuff just to keep the book going. I gave up about a third of the way in, which is very rare for me.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 2:04AM (Unverified) said

To RJGiskard...

I think perhaps you should look back over your comment and really consider what you've just said. You gave up a third of the way into the book, the first book in a soon-to-be 12 book series.

Having read the series several times, as well as many other fantasy series, I have to disagree with you big time. I can admit that Jordan has followed a similar storyline as all of the great epics, but he has taken that and advanced it beyond belief. The complexity of the plots, the inevitable growth and adaption of his characters, and his ability to remain consistent through all of this have all helped to place him above all other authors to me.

Anyone that believes they should fully understand even a main character within a few hundred pages should consider whether they could define themselves that well in so little space.