Posted: Nov 11th 2008 5:09PM Arashikou said

Excellent work! I read Tolkien's more well-known books when I was much younger, but this comprehensive explanation exposes nuances and subtleties to Gandalf that I missed (or didn't read the right books to know) back then.

The trivia about his name was a nice touch as well. :) It's fun to get inside the heads of the great creators of our time.

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 4:48PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I don't think anyone plays this game anymore...

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 5:04PM organiclockwork said

Misinformed troll is misinformed.

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 5:12PM (Unverified) said

If that were the case, then I wouldn't know that the server I play on has a queue every night...

Thanks for the nice article. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 5:14PM organiclockwork said

Oh, and great article, by the way. I'm a lore monkey, so I just love this kind of stuff.

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 5:25PM JohnD212 said

This game is wonderful. I'm proud to say I'm a Founders member so I've enjoyed it a lot. I took a break but might head back in to check out the new stuff. Love to explore new areas...especially when they relate to the story itself.

To the first post.... Go away! Obviously you don't play the game but to assume you know what is going on with the game...shows how stupid you really are... Isn't Second Life or Hello Kitty Online waiting for your return loser!

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 6:36PM Wispur said

Hey! No need to pick on Second Life. =P

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 5:28PM Jesspiper said

Excellent article! One thing, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn it was Eru Ilúvatar (God in Middle-Earth) who gave Gandalf a second chance at life?

Either way I look forward to more installments of this series, especially if they focus on the books and leave the movies by the wayside, which is where they belong when it comes to LOTRO.

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 6:27PM (Unverified) said

You're right. Eru Ilúvatar gave him life, while Galadriel is the one who robed him in white to become known as Gandalf the White. I found myself cutting out some info once the article got too long, and that may have been summed up too much by me :) Thanks for the clarification!

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 6:43PM Jesspiper said

Thanks for replying to my reply. I can only imagine how hard it would be to condense any facet of Tolkien lore into a single column article....especially when about one of the most central characters!

I'm looking forward to the next aritcle. LOTRO (for obvious reasons) easily has the deepest and most expansive lore out of any MMORPG out there, I imagine these articles could go on for a while!

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 5:49PM (Unverified) said

One minor correction. The name Stormcrow was not given to Gandalf by hobbits. It was given to him by King Theoden of Rohan when Gandalf arrived there with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 6:47PM (Unverified) said

Theodan calling him Stormcrow was pretty much mockery. He was known as Stormcrow all around that area, but originally it was hobbits that knew him as such.

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 6:52PM (Unverified) said

Also, fail at the troll that thinks because HE doesn't play a game means no one else does haha.

LOTRO is probably the 2nd most successful MMO in the western market if you believe the estimates. Warhammer might claim that spot and LOTRO put to 3rd, but lets give Warhammer 6 months before we make that call. Still 3rd isn't bad...

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 9:37PM (Unverified) said

In the books, the first mention of that name is in The Two Towers, Book III, Chapter 6. Perhaps in the movies it's used elsewhere, but in the books this is the first time we hear it. Referencing his tendency to show up when things are looking grim.

If there is an earlier mention of that name I apologize for my error but I must have totally missed it (and I did look for it cause it's driving me nuts trying to find it). Put me out of my misery and point me in the right direction please.

Posted: Nov 11th 2008 11:24PM nomoredroids said

You're also assuming the information isn't given in the Silmarillion.

Posted: Nov 12th 2008 12:21AM (Unverified) said

I'm fairly certain it's not given in The Silmarillion.

Posted: Nov 12th 2008 11:30AM (Unverified) said

There are numerous errors in this article. Some fact checking is in order.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 7:47AM (Unverified) said

Few things,

Eru Ilúvatar did NOT give him his life. After creation of the world, Iluvatar spoke only through Manwe, and it was HE who gave Gandalf back his life, after which he was brought to and cared for by Galadriel.

His true name is mentioned that once (as ref'ed above) in LOTR, however he IS called (by Olorin) in the Silmarillion, when they speak of the Maia, they mention him, Curunir (Saruman), Sauron, Iarwain Benadar (Tom Bombadil) among a few.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 6:48PM (Unverified) said

Well, that's kind of splitting hairs now. The source of Manwe's powers is ultimately Eru Ilúvatar anyway so I wouldn't consider it an error to give credit to the source of the power (Eru Ilúvatar) and not just to the vehicle through which the power operated (Manwe).

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories