Posted: Nov 8th 2008 7:21PM (Unverified) said

It's one thing to say that you want to tell a good developer generated story, it's another thing to explain how you are going to tell a good story in a true MMO given the limitations of the medium.

The basic problem being that if you allow the world to change based on player actions, then only a tiny percentage of hardcore players will ever see your story (everyone else will only see the after effects).

But if you don't allow the world to change, then everyone gets to see the story, but suspension of disbelief gets stretched to its breaking point which ruins emotional involvement in the story (players are told that their actions have an effect, but when the players return to an area, nothing has changed).

The usual way that game designers get around this problem is to instance portions of the content (or "phasing" which is just a variation on instancing). But, as I was alluding to above by saying "true MMO", the more you instance, the less your game is really an MMO.

Posted: Nov 8th 2008 8:28PM JediPagan said

This game cannot come soon enough. This will be the most painful wait in MMO history (for me anyway). :)

Posted: Nov 9th 2008 12:03AM Samael said

I have LoTRO to tide me over till this comes out. I have been wanting an MMO by BioWare forever, and now that they are making it in SW universe is just awesome in multiple levels. This is the most anticipated MMO for me during the time that I have been playing MMOs.

Posted: Nov 9th 2008 3:30AM (Unverified) said

I've stopped anticipating MMOs. They almost always let you down in at least a few aspects. Doesn't mean they're not good or great games, just never what you hope for.

Posted: Nov 10th 2008 1:56AM (Unverified) said

I agree with Reader here, I've stopped anticipating mmo's. With the current trend of mmo developing, they are dumbing them down and cartooning them out... I hope they listen to the customers on this one.

Posted: Nov 9th 2008 3:33AM (Unverified) said

But will the game give you the chance to fail at being good or evil? Could your side flip during gameplay due to your actions? That would be a first in MMO's if they did do it. And they should. Allow the players actions to decide what side of the Jedi-Sith battle they may fall upon. Let them become disgraced Jedi or Sith.

I only say this from playing Fallout 3, and because the good-evil was in previous KotOR games. I find it difficult to play the evil side, which I'm trying to do for my first run through Fallout 3, and if I do too many good things, I might switch alignment.

So this is something they should look at, but I doubt they would do it, because it might be too controversial if someone wants to play Jedi or Sith and then they can't role-play that faction properly and end up flipping or becoming disgraced to their faction. How dare an MMO add in player actions that matter. That would be blasphemous.

Posted: Nov 24th 2008 12:35PM TheJackman said

Rob Chestney sorry to break it to you but all this is just talk... Show us something ingame to proof your point mostly looking for something high level middle level and low level samples of this "great" ways that this game will tell the story. If you thing you can pull a Age of Conan on us and just show us a starter zone and noting else forget about it...!!! Also level caps on betas are not good signs.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014