Posted: Nov 7th 2008 4:49PM (Unverified) said

I like the walking around in starports much like Earth and Beyond did back in the day, however, there is no way in Haiti that I would join a game that has deep rooted corruption and exploits. Especially since some were condoned by the devs.
Too little too late?

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 6:13PM SgtBaker said

Too bad for you.
In the meanwhile EVE is doing just fine without you.

Ps. And I don't mean to be CCP apologist. They deserve stern flogging for their scandals - but EVE is a solid game and it would be a shame to miss it for the reasons you state.

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 6:54PM (Unverified) said

Agreed with SgtBaker -- and Dave to some extent -- what happened shouldn't be forgotten or swept under the rug.

A lot of the EVE play experience is about harsh consequences linked to your actions. In keeping with that tradition linked to the game, I see no reason why there shouldn't be consequences for the future career of a dev who abuses his or her knowledge or control over the game to unbalance it... My .02 ISK.

I do recall having read something by CCP's CEO, quite a while back, that he would have handled the matter differently than whoever was involved in the decision to keep or fire the employee. That loss of trust is a major issue and largely responsible for the player-developer divide that's characterized EVE since I began playing.

Even though I really like the game and think the company is doing some really innovative things in the MMO space, it's important that this isn't allowed to happen again. And as much as I think it's time to move ahead, it still shouldn't be forgotten.

As (one would hope anyway) the CCP devs keep in touch with the game by actually playing it alongside everyone else, I've often wondered how they felt about their friend and co-worker using his position to do something that they simply wouldn't. Would it create tension in the workplace? Would it create a policy where employees don't discuss who they are/what they do in-game with one another? Do CCP's 'Internal Affairs' audits turn up dev misconduct, and if so are said devs terminated? All good questions, but as outsiders we're not likely to learn these things. I suppose it comes down to either having faith in them, or the simple fact that most people are going to place their livelihood above spawning BPOs in a game.

That said, I wouldn't bother playing the game if I really believed that it wasn't a level playing field, much less writing about it. I can fully understand people shying away from EVE or even outright rejecting it based off of what happened in the past and the PR nightmare it represented (and continues to represent) for CCP Games, but I also think it's not something that's happening now on any wide scale.

If someone bases their judgement of the hundreds of people that make up CCP on the actions of one person who abused his power - or that GM that was an Ebayer - they might be off base a bit. But again, I can't say someone's wrong for thinking that way. Just think they're missing out on an interesting game.

Of course this has nothing to do with the content of the actual post on Walking in Stations... but this could turn out to be an interesting discussion if others care to run with it.

Posted: Nov 8th 2008 9:44AM Temploiter said

Maybe this will lead to a sequel to EVE that runs alongside the current EVE game. That sequel would be 100% ground/space station based in your actual body.

A whole new set of skills, with no space game pre-reqs would begin on purchase. Dodge, Rifle certs, +Ranged Damage skills. EVE2: Ground and Pound!

Do it please! I can't play a space ship, and damn I want to love you EVE.

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past