Posted: Nov 7th 2008 11:12AM (Unverified) said

A lot of us in the CoX community are very excited that they decided to just add the powers in instead of replace them. NCSoft has done a great job of listening to the community since they took over the game.

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 8:08PM starka1 said

It will take more effort than NCSoft is currently putting into this game for me to want to return. Shuffling pieces of a puzzle around(aka redoing awards for missions/TFs, rebalancing PvP and replacing APP/PPP powers) is NOT content imo. There are a couple new shiny pieces in new powersets and missions but overall it is just business as usual. Tweak existing mechanics/gameplay and call it new content. Too much rehashing in this game. Glad I'm not paying for it anymore. The next two Issues are a waste imo and by the time Issue 15 rolls around there will newer, shinier MMOs to play.

I'd be willing to pay for an expansion if it offered more than the usual rehash/tweaking of current content and systems but I think they just do not have the ability to create something truly new in the game's current incarnation.

Wow, I get Merits instead of a Random drop. Wow, they are tweaking APPs, powers that were never truly Epic because they are powers that were borrowed from existing powersets and had their stats tweaked. Wow, dual builds, I get to spend twice as long doing my own tweaking of the same content. Wow, they are rebalancing PvP. Sounds more like quality of life improvements that should have been done in-between Issues. Such exciting [cough] content.

Posted: Nov 9th 2008 2:04AM Jeromai said

That's because the game's current engine is four years old. They've got to patch in new code over the old, refine their game design and make sure it holds up before they can launch new stuff.

After all, there's no point having any PvP content if the only real contending classes are blasters and scrappers with a healbot lurking around for buffs. Villains have been crying about an epic pool choice imbalance for ages. Nor will it tempt many existing players into PvP if it means screwing up their fancy PvE AoE builds - hence dual build capability.

So it's not fancy new MMO hype. But the NCsoft team running CoH knows how to do things right and listen to the community in the process. I rather they take things slow and right, rather than just dumping in a few artificial 10s of levels as more grind through fancy art. That only makes an MMO that is top heavy and will fall under its own weight when people get tired chasing the cheese.

Posted: Nov 9th 2008 12:48PM starka1 said

Exactly, there is no way to make any significant changes beyond shuffling the pieces around the board and hoping players think they are getting new content.

The extra 10 levels are only artificial if they don't put the effort in. Considering how much they try to tweak existing zones, powers, mechanics and other content, I highly doubt they have the ability to add anything truly new. I have no idea what you mean by doing things "right". That is such a subjective term. Speaking of chasing the cheese then you are obviously forgetting purple recipes. Yes, I know you can still play without them but they are 'cheese' nonetheless. I'm still glad I am no longer playing this game.

Again, most of these changes should have been in-between Issues as QoL improvements.

One Shots: Nowhere to hide