Posted: Nov 7th 2008 12:49AM (Unverified) said

Generally speaking I have 2 MMOs subbed at any one time.Usually 2 that contrast one another. Right now I have City of Heroes and Lineage 2 subbed.
I wish NCSoft had a package plan because I like their games better then most other companies.
SOE, although they have the greatest variety of games, overall the quality sucks butt.
Turbine needs to make something besides fantasy games. Even if they had a package deal its playing the same game with different skills. (except for AC but again, more fantasy)
WoW, haven't played it in years, burned out no desire. WAR, tried the beta...felt to much like WoW.

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 1:00AM (Unverified) said

I would be interested in seeing the profile of a typical XFire user compared to the profile of a typical MMOGer. I bet there are some significant differences, assuming such a profile could be derived, and player age would be the most dramatic.

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 3:33AM (Unverified) said

I have SOE's Station Pass. I primarily play EQ2 with it, but occasionally will dip in to SWG, since some friends of mine still play that (yes, even with the NGE), and occasionally I'll spend a few hours in Vanguard as well.

Beyond that, I also play EVE. Lately, I've been playing more EVE than anything else, but once the TSO expansion for EQ2 is out, then I know I'll be back over there a lot more and EVE will more or less be "log in, change skill, check the buy and sell orders, log out" again.

My opinion is that EVE is a good "casual 2nd" game simply becuz you don't need to log in to advance your character (or even make ISK, if you know what you're doing on the market), where the more "traditional" level-based ones require active play in order to advance/get loot/get new skills/etc, so they're more time intensive. As a result, I think any "normal" game plus EVE would be good. I find for myself that I have trouble relaly advancing anything in a 2nd "traditional" type of game. Which is why my SWG character is still in his 40's (out of 90) and my VG characters are 14 or lower (out of 50). I never got past 14 in WoW, 8 in GW, or 12 in LotRO either.... EQ2 kept calling me back -- and I have 12 characters there. 3 are 80, 2 more in their 70's, 1 in the 60's, 5 in the 50's, and my "lowbie" at 42. Yeah, EQ2's definitely been my focus. Since starting EVE 6 months ago, I do feel like I've done less EQ2 overall, but even so, I still totally enjoy it and plan to play the heck out of the TSO expansion.

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 4:22AM Greeen said

I heavily doubt that xfire is representative. I know a bunch of peeps online and in RL who don't care to use xfire at all, and I have a number of online friends who quit using xfire because they don't see the need for it.

Another example is a game such as UO - many of the vets there use other systems such as aim, because that existed already before xfire and thusl they don't see the need to switch/use an additional programme.

All in all, despite using myself xfire, I think it is overrated as a source for such data.

Heck, one can log gaming time for many games without actually having to play, e.g. WoW is registered at the login screen without actually loging in, meaning you don't even need a subscription in theory to log WoW game time in xfire. Most games are like that, even the ones where you need to login to a patcher first, you can bypass, if you really wanted to. Why people would want to do that is beyond me, but it is possible (perhaps "play for free games" to make them look more popular than they really are?).

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 7:17AM (Unverified) said

For Xfire to not be representative, than you would have to have some evidence that having Xfire makes you behave differently as a paying gamer. Sure, lots of people don't have Xfire... but within that sample, I am not sure you can claim that the decision to pay for more than one MMO is some how impacted by Xfire and therefore overtly biases the sample.

We use Xfire to get the measurement, fully realizing that it is only a small window into a much larger population.

We have to do sort of the same thing with Xbox Live... you have to have a Gold subscription to be in our data... but there are millions of non-Live or Silver members... who might behave differently when playing games.

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 8:32AM (Unverified) said

I'm subbed to EVE and WoW at the moment. I may have a look at WAR aswell!

I use a neat site www.avatarsunited.com to keep track of my MMO profiles. I can highly recommend it for you MMO addicts:)

Here's one of my WoW alts:

Posted: Nov 8th 2008 11:11AM Ozmodan said

Reading some of the comments above I have to wonder if some of them even know what xfire is for.

Xfire was developed for First Person Shooters(FPS) games so that players could find what and where their friends were playing on line.

In essence, this is pretty useless for MMO players as they pretty much know where their friends are playing.

Hence there is little reason for a MMO player to fire up Xfire unless they also intend playing some FPS games too. My thought is once you move to a MMO, there is little reason to return to the FPS genre, but I sure there are many that do.

My conclusion is that using Xfire to extract MMO data is just a bad idea. It is not representative data, so you are going to get skewed information from it. The article is just an exercise in futility

Posted: Nov 7th 2008 1:24PM Snorii said

Right now, I'm playing City of Heroes and Lord of the Rings Online. I'm also playing Warhammer Online, but I'll drop the subscription on that shortly.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories