Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 10:19AM (Unverified) said

Pity. Champions showed promise until this news. Roper is a great salesman, but the trouble is that his hype rarely finds common ground with development. All I can see him doing for Cryptic is soaking up resources to finance his globe-trotting marketing gigs. After seeing the train wreck that was Hellgate: London, I can't figure out what wisdom Cryptic is using to give him such a high profile position.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 10:39AM Wispur said

Uh oh. My mind is fighting a civil war in my skull. On one hand, I have complete faith in Cryptic's ability to make an awesome game, on the other hand, Roper has also demonstrated the ability to lead an MMO to destruction....

I guess my hope in the end is that, given a second chance, Roper will make good with it.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 10:39AM wjowski said

Jesus Christ no. Who'll they hire next? Brad McQuaid?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 12:37PM (Unverified) said

LMAO

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 11:20AM (Unverified) said

Did none of you guys read the interview with 1up?

Ropers a good guy who honestly cares about his games. I'm glad he found a new home, and I know he'll take CO to some great places.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 11:29AM Wispur said

"Did none of you guys read the interview with 1up?"

Yes, he said good things, however his track record is one of going back on the good things he says, often at the expense of the customers and their faith.

Ropers was responsible for many if not all of HG:L's horrible mistakes.... now, let's move on....

"Ropers a good guy who honestly cares about his games"

He actively abused his customers, dismissed their concerns, lied to them, offered life time subscriptions to a game that didn't last much over a year, and generally led his game and company to ruin.

"I'm glad he found a new home, and I know he'll take CO to some great places."

Many people have been burned badly by Ropers, and we have every right to be concerned about the places he'll take CO. Knowing that he will influence the game's design in any way, shape or form gives reason to pause.

Where before CO was an auto-purchase, now it'll need to be followed and examined very closely to make sure it's worth our money.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 3:28PM wjowski said

I don't care what he or 1up said. Talk is cheap. As far as I'm concerned he'd got a long way to go to prove he's not the Anti-Midas.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 11:44AM (Unverified) said

Bill Roper always comes across as a passionate, friendly guy, much like any other snake oil salesman. Putting his face publicly for any upcoming release is a real kiss of death. Hellgate: London is too recent a debacle for people to disassociate him from it. Hellgate only released a year ago.
I had my doubts with Champions due to the plans to develop cross-platform and the damage Jack's ego did to City of Heroes. This may not be the last nail in the coffin, but it's damned close. I'm not spending my money on anything Roper's involved with.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 12:01PM (Unverified) said

Like some of the above posters, this is a huge concern. I was pretty much all set for CO, but I'll have to wait for a 14 day trial or buddy key now with Roper on board before buying. =(

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 1:14PM (Unverified) said

Wait, wasn't he forming another studio a while back so that work could happen on the spiritual successor to mythos after the fiasco?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 1:23PM Jesspiper said

When I heard Turbine was hiring some former flaghip people I was really worried that they had made a stupid move like hiring Roper. Thankfully Cryptic made that move and not Turbine. Selfish I know. I feel sorry for Cryptic fans and those looking forward to Champions Online, though.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 2:35PM Purkit said

Ah well, that's another MMO I will not be buying.

Crazy, just plain crazy.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 9:23PM UnSub said

You can learn more from failure than you ever can from success.

I'll be waiting to try out ChampO at launch and see if the game is fun, not choosing not to play it because of who might be a designer / developer on it.

Roper brings a lot of experience to Cryptic who are trying to do what is very difficult (two large MMOs in ChampO - out early next year at this point - and STO). I hope it works out for all parties, including the players.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014