Posted: Oct 31st 2008 4:47PM (Unverified) said

So many? There's three. I expect to see another post like this when a couple more Scifi MMOs hit. Everybody complains that there's 50 bajillion fantasy ones, but when a lesser touched-on flavor emerges it's "what's the deal with X?".

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 5:03PM (Unverified) said

Seriously? So many? All of 3? And how many fantasy MMOs are there? Get a life.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 5:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person annoyed by the stupidity of this article.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 5:14PM (Unverified) said

Get back to us after answering why Age of Conan, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Final Fantasy XI, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, and World of Warcraft exist when EverQuest II is out and playable.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 5:29PM (Unverified) said

To be fair, City of Heroes isn't exactly doing such a stellar job that you can see a vertical market segment that can split that base three ways and survive.

Sure, Fantasy might have a lot more entries, but it is a broader market segment... and even so, a lot of fantasy MMOs DON'T survive.

I think it a fair question, but the article itself did nothing to address the question in my opinion... it seemed more like just a marketing nod for each of them.

I'd like to see a much harder hitting article that manages to talk to the producers of Champions and DC and asks them "What the heck makes you think splitting this segment is a good idea?!?!?"

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 5:30PM (Unverified) said

The author might want to peek at this - http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart8.html

Notice how all of sci-fi and superheroes are one section, and it's only 3.7%.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 11:27PM wjowski said

...Personally I'd ask why so few. Comic-book settings are every bit as broad and viable as high fantasy.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 11:32PM Sam not Spam said

From everything I've read and heard about CO and DCU, it sounds like they're going to be significantly more actiony/console centric than COH. As a result, I think the three can exist. Plus remember CO and DCU are PC/Console (360 and PS3 respectively) and COH will be PC/Mac soon enough. Each game being a different "flavor" plus being on more than one platform should enable them all to be okay, financially.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2008 12:52AM UnSub said

Superhero titles have always been under-represented in games unless they have a known IP attached - the shadow of DC and Marvel is long, so that players will buy an average Batman / X-Men game, but ignore a superhero IP they can't buy in comic book form (even if they don't buy comics).

CoH/V proved that the superhero MMO can come out and be successful in attracting an audience. DCUO will have the DC name behind it, while ChampO has the advantage of Cryptic's experience and will probably be the first 'next-gen' MMO out on the Xbox 360.

This wasn't a bad article, just badly titled.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2008 6:18PM (Unverified) said

Champions is a license as well.

Posted: Nov 4th 2008 11:36AM (Unverified) said

yeah bad title for sure.. I'd like to see more then just fantasy, a million superhero mmo's and a million sci-fi mmo's would be a blessing to try...

like any one play a game called Neocron, FPS MMORPG.. not only ahead of its time but also riddled with so many bugs it was unplayable..

kinda happy however to see something come of the Marvel Universe project, Champions looks to be so good I'm going to try to get in on the beta, and i haven't done that since the NIGHTMARE that was MxO. i sense that it was a huge mistake on marvels part to trash the project though, this might be an area where DC wins. I mean if there's any chance of my joining the Lantern Corps then i see myself as being a very happy person.

Posted: Nov 13th 2008 5:48PM (Unverified) said

Champions looks all right if you ignore the fact that Statesnerf of CoH lead-dev infamy is running it, and the fact that it's one of the ugliest MMOs I've seen.... ever.

Posted: Dec 13th 2008 6:54PM Skyydragonn said

I'm still holding my breathe for privateerpress to announce a WARMACHINE MMO.

for those that dont know WARMACHINE is similar to warhammer tabletop.
its centered around magic users controlling hulking steam (or necrotite) powered warmachines with the apropriate mix of "soldiers" like riflemen (Longgunners)
or specialist Gun wielding magic users. Theres a very rich setting which is partially fantasy with a very hefty steampunk flavor. I think would make an excellent MMORPG, given privateer press' commitment to quality products in everything else they do.

The full scoop on Marvel Heroes' team-ups