Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:15AM Wispur said

I've adopted a policy of always buying the collector's edition "just in case" it ends up being my alltime favorite game ever. At least when it comes to MMOs, it's kinda like an ingame sign I was there from the beginning.

Non-MMO's it's a bit more questionable, it really depends on whether the perks are worth it to me.

For MMO's though, yes, always.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:24AM Abriael said

Warhammer's collectors' was absolutely great. Even just the quality of the hardcover artbook and graphic novel justified the price, and i can see them holding a nice place in my library for years to come.

Aoc's one was a tad lower in quality (expecially the soft cover artbook, it fell apart almost immediately), but still offering pretty decent value for the price.

Too bad we aren't getting many CE's with the quality of the ones you see pretty often in Japan (the one for valkyria chronicle, for instance, included a figurine, an artbook and a whole model kit of the tank of the game), but I wouldn't definately call CE's mostly useless. They're collectors items, and as such they have value for the ones that enjoy collecting, which is a sizeable portion of the gaming population.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:18AM Snorii said

I've bought several collector's editions, although I've thought most weren't worth it. I can't seem to stop getting them for MMOs that I play, just recently ordered the collector's edition of the Mines of Moria.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:24AM Jesspiper said

What can I say? I'm a complete collector's edition whore.

I cherish my AoC one the most thus far.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:28AM Askgar said

My name is X and I'm addicted to buying Collectors Editions...

What I'm trying to say is, yes, I do buy CEs, I have way more than I know what to do with (CEs for all of GW, WoW:BC (I don't even play WoW really), I have one for CoV, and now I have both AoC and WAR CEs...). Unfortunately I also get non MMO CEs... I have way too many boxes in my house now!

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:32AM (Unverified) said

I've never seen the point.. I'd just seems like lots of things I'd raise my eyebrows to and thing "...thats nice..." and then itl get put somewhere in my room where I probably wouldnt take note of it again.

Just seems like lots of crap I dont want/need. I'm not interested in action figures or comic books, I just want the game!

Saying that I always want a box. I wont ever buy games from Direct2Drive or the like because I dont feel like I own a game without a box.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:34AM Abriael said

Agreed on the box and the Physical support.
The day in which digital distribution will become the norm (hopefully never) it'll be a sad, sad day for me.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 9:31AM Askgar said

I have absolutely nothing against Digital Distribution as long as its significantly cheaper, like Steam WAS in the UK until the currency crashed, but if I'm paying the same price, if not more some times, for a digital download than a box it really does annoy me.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 8:47AM RanWitScissorz said

I really like CE's that come with something physical, like a figurine. Bioshock was probably my fav because of Mr. Bubbles that protects my phone at work. I had really hoped for a 7" Altair figurine with Assassin's Creed, but they changed it to a crappy 2" figurine at the last minute. The WAR CE was really nice in its quality, not just in the items inside, but the box itself was pretty rugged.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 10:13AM Minofan said

I have bought CEs - only ever for MMOs - and I have regretted it every single time.

When will I learn ?!

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 10:18AM (Unverified) said

I always buy collector's editions, usually for the game soundtrack and in-game items. I have the collector's edition of City of Heroes, City of Villains, Age of Conan, and Tabula Rasa, (although I no longer play Tabula Rasa).

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 10:44AM (Unverified) said

Artwork, CDs, cool boxes... none of that is a reason for me to buy it. Even early access is not worth the additional cost (upwards of $100 on some games).

It's all about longevity of in-game items. Which seem to lose ground to pre-order items.

If what's offered doesn't help/improve or overall offer anything that can be used through-out the carreer of my characters, I'm not interested.

Things like +1 rings/capes that are useless after the first couple of levels I can live w/out.

Mounts that don't compare (slower) w/ what is normally avail won't do it either.

Early access to mounts, say 5-10 levels earlier would.

A +1 ring/cape that scales w/ level, would.

So, it's all about in-game content for me. If there's no value for me game play wise, I'm not interested.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 10:57AM (Unverified) said

No. I often think about it and always opt not to.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 11:12AM GRT said

Mostly useless?

If you want to look at it that way, games are mostly useless.

I'll buy the CE if it has interesting physical extras. I was really pleased with the contents of the War CE for instance. I enjoyed the mostly useless graphic novel and mostly useless art book quite a bit.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 11:14AM (Unverified) said

CEs are for people with more dollars than sense.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 11:27AM (Unverified) said

I buy them for the games I love. Fallout, Warhammer, WOW, etc. I personally don't think they are useless to one that collects. Saying they are is uninformed and insulting to people that collect anything. Be it baseball cards, stamps, etc.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 11:28AM Evy said

I buy CEs for games I really care about, yes. I don't mind the extra cost as long as it's not overly exorbitant. The WoW: WotLK CE wasn't too bad, and I wanted the pet. :)

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 11:34AM Syme said

Yes, I bought a Frost Wymling, I mean, WotLK CE.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 12:40PM (Unverified) said

It all depends on what it comes with. In-game bonuses will defiantly get me to buy a CE. Art books, soundtracks, figurines I couldnt care less. Just my personal preference.

Posted: Oct 31st 2008 2:01PM (Unverified) said

i use too buy them for most games i bought single or mmo but now i just buy it for the in-game items and maybe a soundtrack like wow