Posted: Oct 28th 2008 8:17AM (Unverified) said

I only have the time, money and patience to play one MMO. In fact, everyone I know only plays one MMO. When I read that Jacobs said all gamers play more than one at a time, I wanted to laugh.

I briefly play other PC and console games, however. Mass Effect, Spore, Portal...but usually that's if I happen to be online before everyone else in my guild.

My online time is short and precious...and I'm spending it only on one game.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 8:27AM Haggs said

I'm a one MMO person. I'm loyal to City of Heroes. Once in a while I try out a free trial of another MMO, but CoH is what I spend money on.

That's going to change when Champions Online and Stargate Worlds come out. I'll see if I can afford to play all three.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 8:34AM GRT said

I play two at a time, but one of those is LOTRO where I have a Lifetime sub, so I generally play it very lightly while paying for another game.

I don't think I'd pay for two subscriptions concurrently; not enough hours in the day to devote significant time to 2 mmos at once.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 8:37AM (Unverified) said

I generally play my MMO of choice about 2 hours per week. If I played more than one, there wouldn't be any time.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 8:50AM (Unverified) said

Money and time dictates one MMO at a time. I like to save a slice of time for single player gaming also.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:00AM Idle said

I only play one at a time. As it is, with my attention span, I can only manage to play one toon on my current MMO for 45 mins or so before I start hopping between alts. If I played more than one MMO, I'd be doing some weird combination of alt AND game hopping. That, and the fact I hate to eat another $15 per month sub.

I'll add that I don't alt hop because my current MMO is boring. I've done it with every MMO I've played. It drives my guildies crazy. The only time I zone in and focus is during scheduled raid/pvp/guild activities.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:06AM (Unverified) said

Like most people posting so far...I only play ONE AT A TIME. Why? Money. Time. And I get caught up in character development/advancement and don't want to spend time elsewhere when I could be leveling and improving my main char in my main game.

I have never had 2 MMOs going at once and probably never will.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:12AM Jesspiper said

I'll try new ones when they come out for a bit if they interest me (SWTOR and GW2, for example), but 95% of the time it's LOTRO and nothing else for me.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:37AM Boruk said

I also have only the time and money for one MMO...and LOTRO is it.

I also find it funny that he says it's either War or WOW. There are other games out there even though they don't have a huge subscription base. I think LOTRO is benifiting from the some old WOW clone though as most of my old WOW guild has stopped after 3.0 and come to LOTRO.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:21AM Greeen said

I am too interested in what is out there than to stick to only 1 MMO.
WoW I play because of RL friends and upcoming expansion.
SWG I play (again) because I am tired of Fantasy genre.
LOTRO I have a life time sub, but don't play atm until the expansion comes out. If I will stay, I don't know yet.
EQ2 I will have to see, I'd love to resub, but there is just not enough time in my life for that.
WAR: I like it, but it is not the ground breaker I had hoped for, and I might have, as mentioned above, fantasy genre burn-out.
So no, definetly not one MMO only.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 5:41PM (Unverified) said

I play 2 at a time usually. Sometimes 3. I don't have the affinity to "dedicate" myself to one game. I become burned out. I get tired of the repetitive aspect of MMOs. I need something diffrent.

I usually play everynight after work and through-out the weekend (depending on plans). And I pay for my wife's sub. So, I'm paying for anywhere from 2-4 subs a month.

Right now, I'm only playing one. But that's not the norm for me. Just currently, b/c I decided to re-sub to Gamefly instead of an MMO and play more console for a bit.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:40AM (Unverified) said

One MMO at a time. I once tried to do two (FFXI and WoW, when it first released) and ended up just ignoring one in favour of the other.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:44AM (Unverified) said

I tried playing two MMOs at once, I think if I was in a guild in both, it would be very difficult. As a result, my play in the one dropped off a lot, went into maintenance mode. Better to focus on one if you're in a guild, I think.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 9:53AM Sunlover said

I play multiple MMOs. However, I only play one pay to play at a time. For example: WoW, Guild Wars, and Requiem. I like some other pay to play games and will switch to those whever I get burned out on WoW (LOTRO, WAR, EQ2, CoX).

I am waiting for GW2 and other really good Free to Play MMOs (Free Realms, Runes of Magic) that embrace a faster game play style and emphasis on fun, quick achievements and progression. I think the genre will make a move to more fun, fast, quest and story based leveling/progression and endgame is where all the hardcore grind will be. Also, since many MMOs will have to compete with P2P juggernauts like WoW and WAR, they will offer more and more alternative pay schemes and play styles. This is when more gamers will play multiple MMOs I think.

I can't wait.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 10:07AM Wron said

I'm subbed to WoW and WAR and plan to continue to do so. It slows me down in both but I don't really care. I don't feel any obligation to play my 2 hours per day or whatever and I don't define myself by what MMO I play, they're just games. I play whatever I find fun at the time.

I think people who treat an MMO as their second job or a major responsibility in their lives would have more trouble handling more than one. I don't sell all my single player games when I happen to be really into one of them at the moment. But for now I enjoy both games for different reasons and I don't see any reason to quit one.

As far as the money thing goes.. seriously if an extra $15/month is causing that much financial hardship, perhaps you shouldn't be subscribed to any MMO for now until you get things sorted out.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 10:17AM (Unverified) said

I don't have a problem with paying for two, as every game gets boring after a while and I like to play single-player games as well. I imagine once I get a chance to try WAR (and if I liked it enough) I might do that in conjunction with WoW. Although I'd also like to give the LOTRO trial another shot and possibly get into that instead.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 10:44AM Evy said

I only play WoW. I don't have enough time to devote serious attention to another MMORPG. I wish I did. Between work, WoW, and keeping a social life, nothing would get done around the house if I added anything else into my gaming schedule.

I do play single-player titles in my spare time, but not nearly as much as I did before WoW. As a former Sims addict, I am very much looking forward to The Sims 3, however. :)

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 11:03AM (Unverified) said

I've had an active subscription to an MMOG since day #1 of EQ(1) but the only time I have had active subscriptions to multiple MMOGs simultaneously are the transitory months I am switching; due to remaining time on the "old" one while I am playing the "new" one. I am a monogamous MMOGer.

I do not consider myself a casual nor a hardcore gamer but somewhere in the middle. When I play a game I try to get as much as I can out of it until I feel I have seen and done everything I can (or want to). Expansions draw me back -- for a few months -- but nothing is forever.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 11:17AM (Unverified) said

i used to be a gamer, now I just play WoW. I havent touched my 360 in almost a year.

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 11:19AM (Unverified) said

I only have a couple of hours free time per evening for WAR. I don't have time to play other games let alone other MMO's.

However, even when I did have lots of free time before uni/job/girlfriend, I still only stuck to one MMO and no other games. Obssesive personality perhaps.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014