Posted: Oct 26th 2008 8:25AM (Unverified) said

If you play over say 24 hours in a week then you are probably addicted.

Posted: Oct 26th 2008 8:40AM (Unverified) said

Well I guess i'm addicted to work, i spend 40 hours a week on that.

Posted: Oct 26th 2008 9:15AM (Unverified) said

As well as most people being addicted to sleep if number of hours is the sole indicator. Or breathing. :)

Posted: Oct 26th 2008 8:28AM (Unverified) said

Would that mean 24 hours on any activity? Or is MMOGaming special for some reason?

Posted: Oct 26th 2008 8:51AM (Unverified) said

Time investment is not the only criteria for addiction. We could get into clinical technicalities, but that would make for some boring conversation.

Simply put - If you're avoiding real life issues, obligations, and responsibilities to play, then you're probably addicted.

Posted: Oct 26th 2008 2:19PM (Unverified) said

I disagree with the definition of addiction in this article. Addiction is defined as being compusively and habitually involved in something and as far as I'm concerned a great many people who play MMOs fit in this category - myself no exception.

Addiction doesn't have to be a bad thing though. Many people don't realize the connotative weight words carry, and society (and I'm sure a great many of you disagree with society on a lot of things - I know I do) regards addiction as a very negative thing.

But ask yourself this: Are insanely successful millionaires/billionaires not addicted to success? Are record-setting athletes not addicted to their sport of choice? Are your favorite musicians not addicted to music?

Some of the greatest feats known to man arise out of addiction. Obviously, these examples are a bit different from being addicted to MMOs, but we are just starting to understand the connections between MMOs and the application and understanding of human behavior.

This very website has fielded numerous posts about ties between EVE Online's corporate CEO's and success in other life pursuits - this article inspired by writings in major publications such as the New York Times. This is just one example of how guild leaders in MMOs are learning important management skills.

What about the subconscious effects of playing MMOs? They teach us to dedicate ourselves to something, and then they reward us for that dedication. The point has been made many times that MMOs are not about skill but about dedication. "He who has the most time to spare wins." Isn't that how life works when it comes to any particular thing? World famous guitarists are world famous because all they did all day was play guitar.

So are many of us addicted to MMOs? I would say yes. Is that necessarily bad? I would say no. Hopefully more people will research into the positive effects of MMOs on our ability to function as social creatures.

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 4:34PM (Unverified) said

Probably the strongest and most thought out response I've seen on this website. Opened my eyes.

Posted: Oct 27th 2008 12:12AM (Unverified) said

I think a lot of the time, people blame things on gaming addiction and what not when really the person would just be lazy anyway, but not be on an MMO. It may seem like they avoid stuff in life to play their game, but again they would have anyway.

Of course there are those that truly do fall into the addiction of it. Sometimes I wonder when I notice I've been grinding for an hour and a half for a piece of influence gear. I might take a break from MMOs again, have yet to reactivate my WAR account (not sure if I'm liking how the endgame is looking anyway).

Posted: Oct 27th 2008 11:34AM Evy said

No, I'm not addicted. I'm sure glad WoW wasn't released when I was still in school, though! I believe my grades would've suffered. Now that I'm older, I possess more self-control and limit my playtime to what I believe is a reasonable amount. I'm not sure I could've handled that as a teen or young adult. I don't know how kids manage in today's world, with so many distractions.