Posted: Oct 25th 2008 12:10PM (Unverified) said

what's amusing to me is that I used to be in a corp with Black Claw, the Black Scorpions and that corp was originally an Anti-Pirate corp. essentially we went around breaking up random gate camps in known pirate infested regions to allow carebears a brief safe passage. my how times have changed and now he's on the other side.

Posted: Oct 25th 2008 12:39PM (Unverified) said

Thank you for the story, James. I love reading your perspective on what I and others write about Eve. I think I'm a new fan. ;)

Hey Rozo, forgive me for not remembering you, that was quite a while ago. I wouldn't say I'm on the 'other side', I'm more in the middle. Me and my corp are now working with a NBSI (Not Blue Shoot It) policy, and we're enjoying our middle ground. We're friends with pirates and anti-pirates alike, and we engage in all actions. Unlike real pirates, however, we don't make a living from killing.

I do it because I'm bad at it, and I need to become better. Practice makes perfect, as they say. And nothing helps more than by fighting with and against pirates. I'm learning so much from it, and writing about what I learn and experience helps others learn too, which is a good thing.

Posted: Oct 27th 2008 8:15PM (Unverified) said

No problem, Black Claw. Your post struck a chord with me and so I felt like highlighting that here. I'm liking 'The Art of War' pieces as well and certainly hope you'll keep going with those.

Posted: Oct 27th 2008 8:26PM (Unverified) said

Oh, I fully intend continuing them! There's some good value there, and I'm happy that they're popular, so there's no way I'm stopping! :)

Posted: Oct 25th 2008 8:59PM Jeromai said

What I'm always somewhat amused by is the rationalization by PvPers that it's a good thing to make more PvPers and convert everyone to their way of thinking and fighting and playing. It's almost like a religion. Killing makes you free. Or some such.

Sometimes limits are in place for a reason. Look at the real world. We put social limits in place so that the sociopaths cannot walk over the majority, who are content to be sheep. Of course, we then promptly turn over enforcement of the limits to soldiers and policemen, who have to learn how to become wolves (or sheepdogs) and killers - in order to protect sheep from the other wolves out there.

Still, it's far better to explore all this sort of interplay in a virtual world. So yay to Eve. For those of us not playing it, we'll still enjoy reading about what everyone's been up to in there. :)

Posted: Oct 26th 2008 3:55AM (Unverified) said

The way I see it, depending on how long a person plays, they gotta go into lowsec eventually. They will get attacked. They might learn how to fight back or at least defend themselves better. Already, they're involved in PVP.

Some people just do the bare minimum to survive, while others get focused. That's what it comes down to.

Posted: Oct 26th 2008 2:01PM (Unverified) said

I can agree with Black Claw to some extent. I've got to admit, in the very beginning I used to get kind of angry about being ganked (in lowsec). Though after a few deaths, I realized:

1. This is the nature of the game. No other game, ever, really got my heart pounding like that.

2. By jumping into a lowsec system, as with even logging into EVE at all, it's implicit that there's some degree of risk involved. Hence, part of the appeal for some players.

3. There are many things I can do to deny them a kill, even when I had comparatively low skillpoints... even when flying solo, as a fair amount of my EVE time has been.

4. Regardless of how I felt about it at the time, exposure to pirates/gankers made me a better pilot.

I'm not a pirate myself, but I cast aside a kind of knee-jerk dislike of pirates/piracy a long time ago as a new player, and now fully accept that they're an aspect of the game. An essential aspect , too -- I feel that what they do in EVE is just as valid/important as other professions. The game would be boring without the risk that they introduce... the concern about what's on the other side of that gate.

Also I want to say that Jeromai raises an interesting point about people who have to learn to 'become wolves' themselves to stop the bad guys. From what I've gathered in my time in the game, EVE has some rather zealous anti-pirates who are, to make a real-world analogy, vigilantes. I couldn't say for sure how sporadic or organized such efforts are, but many EVE corps make clear to their members whether or not they're expected to be 'anti-pirate' or if they're more neutral. Black. White. Shades of grey. It's all represented in the game. I suppose my point is that there are different organizational approaches to PvP in the game, and not everyone eventually becomes a pirate or kills new(er) players. And sometimes even the hunters become the hunted.

Lastly, I also agree with Jeromai that these things can be interesting to read about, even if you don't play the game at all. I read about EVE for quite a while before I jumped in. Obviously, it's the crime and wtf?! aspects that catch people's attention, but there's a lot more going on in the game, a lot of layers to it all. The 'single world' approach is largely what makes this possible, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying reading about all of this. Plenty more to come.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM