Posted: Oct 24th 2008 2:25PM Softserve said

The Jedi to Sith comparison doesn't seem significantly different to me than, say, Horde vs Alliance or Destruction vs Order. It seems logical that they'd have different content on that level, because they're on opposite sides of the spectrum. But it doesn't really imply to me that different classes will be seeing totally different things like he claims it does.

I guess we'll see. The game definitely has a ton of potential, but so do most MMORPGs. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Posted: Oct 24th 2008 3:06PM Scopique said

Actually, Tony, in one of the other articles on the subject at Massively, they DID say that no classes will have overlapping content. However, I'm sure there will be "group" content which will, natually, overlap.

And is it just me, or are these BioWare "writers" sometimes...incoherent?

Posted: Oct 24th 2008 3:32PM (Unverified) said

i really really cant wait for this game. i like how they are saying that its not just gonna have a ton of content but specific content. cause that was kinda the lamest part of SWG that every piece of content was the same either side u were on. (example: I was an Imperial but my Rebel friends complained about having to attack the Corellian Corvette) it will be a nice twist to have a reason to switch factions or create characters of the other faction to see the other content that is available.
~iGGy~

Posted: Oct 24th 2008 11:46PM (Unverified) said

I'm a bit afraid. When they say "from one to max" I really hope they don't intend on making this game a lindear style game. I'm sick of going from level 1-50 (or whatever the cap is). I want the tiered system that SWG brought us to come back. I love being able to mix and match classes.

Another thing I wish they would do (but it sounds like they aren't planning on it) is to make Jedi an option later on in the game, requiring you to go through a certain amount of content before you can start pwning the verse with a lightsaber.

Posted: Oct 25th 2008 2:49PM (Unverified) said

The idea that you're going to have a "completely different game" depending on which race/class you choose is a nice thought, but is going to be very hard to implement/keep up with.

Think about the content in TBC and WotLK for WoW. Sure, there are horde- and alliance-specific quests and items, but the vast majority of the content is shared. That's for good reason. Designing quality content is hard and takes a long time. Saying you're going to exclude people from half (or more) of the content because of the class you chose means you have to do two (or more) times as much work to keep them satisfied.

Given the amount of time it takes to get a decent WoW expansion out the door, I question whether this is going to be a feasible long term strategy.

I don't think it's impossible, but the dev tools and game engine are going to have to be absolutely stellar to enable the developers to keep up with the demand for new content across the board.

I think it can be a great game even if they can't follow through on this concept, but I'd hate to see this game get hyped up like WAR did, then wind up promising way too much and having to cut back significantly. I, like many other folks, am looking for a game to tear me away from WoW -- it's an awesome game, still, but I've been playing it since day 1 and I'm ready for something else -- but that game is going to have to be almost flawlessly executed. I'm scared that this concept might get them off to a bad start.

Posted: Oct 29th 2008 3:13PM Dirame said

I cant wait for the guild that will call itself the 501st, i would want to be in that guild but I can only dream

Posted: Oct 29th 2008 11:51PM (Unverified) said

"If you think about it, though, Jedi get popped by people who aren't Jedi all the time. Not everybody's fantasy is to be a Jedi, believe it or not."

Oh Yeah! Smuggler, baby! :)

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM