Posted: Oct 20th 2008 8:28PM (Unverified) said

Although certainly a good step forward, this solution does not resolve the issue of games that are not built to support a rmt solution. In most mmos, any character can grind away game coin with sub-par gear and in many cases the use of bots. This game design prolongs the "chinese farmer" situation where coin will be increasingly dumped into the economy and naturally inflate over time. Of course, mudflation and coin inflation is nothing new, and will occur regardless of rmt, but not at as high of a rate. As long as games are designed as they are currently, the "player" will not benefit from this kind of solution. Only the stereotypical "chinese farmer sweatshop" that can employ cheap labor and bots will benefit.

Games must be made so that they cannot be farmed by bots, which means no static mob spawns and no easy to reach bosses (e.g. pindleskin). Admittedly, I can't give a great solution on the coin issue, as I think most of us would agree that a currency-based economy is vastly superior to a barter-based economy (give me soj!). Regardless, the use of variable instancing and variable mob spawns will go a long ways to alleviating the farming problem and making sure that the people who succeed in a mmo are not those with an army of cheap labor and bots, but the players who succeed at the game.

I look forward to a AAA MMO that will implement this kind of system. It's not that I want to make my job farming for mmo goods. However, I always liked the possibility of finding a valuable item you don't need that someone else will pay cash for. It makes the game far more satisfying and motivating to me. Hate me if you want, but I think the market has spoken...loudly. RMT is here to stay.

Posted: Oct 20th 2008 11:54PM Ghede said

Well, yes and no. I believe that RMT should be legitimized, but not on every server, especially in a PvP oriented game. RMT RPPvP servers, just to add yet another acronym combination.

Posted: Oct 21st 2008 7:06AM Zombie3k said

At the end of the day I would probably say most people that buy gold do so to fund their purchases of the more expensive in game items like WoW's epic flying mount.

If a company is really against RMT all they would need to do is substitute currency for some kind of token system to fund those big purchases. Instead of grinding 5000 gold you would grind 5000 "tokens" which drop from bosses in dungeons etc. I'm sure they could think up a better version.

The fact is the best part of legitimate RMT is that the spamming of gold sellers will surely be cut dramatically.

The worst part is that you wont know if someone bought the gold to attain epic item x or if they actually put in the hard work. If a company could find some way of showing if you've bought money then I would support this kind of a system.

Posted: Oct 21st 2008 9:01AM (Unverified) said

I don't know about any of you but I wanna see more of this girl in the monopoly dress!

Posted: Oct 22nd 2008 11:46AM (Unverified) said

@ Lesserthan -- that was my real motivation here. :)

Posted: Oct 22nd 2008 5:04AM (Unverified) said

Doesn't wow kinda have something like this already with the card game. Instead of getting a glowing tiger mount just make it 2kg. Probably cost cheaper then buying the tiger.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny