Posted: Oct 18th 2008 3:22PM (Unverified) said

That first paragraph is win and quite appropriate for the subject matter. ;)

A lot of people certainly do keep multiple MMOs but there will always be one that predominates for most, if for nothing more than time constraints. I want to have my cake and eat it too with WotLK and Warhammer but I can't quite bring myself to log into WoW. I'm sure many others feel the exact opposite. It can be hard to juggle two worlds at once.

At the same time we must also be cautious here. In seeking a narrative for Warhammer's launch we've naturally rallied around the idea of War's David standing up to WoW's Goliath. But this misses the point that WoW isn't the only 'feeder game' out there for Next Big Thing MMOs.

Much more under threat are the Last Big Thing MMOs, like Age of Conan and to a lesser extent LotRO, but this narrative that the gaming media focuses on behaves as if WoW is the only game with disaffected longtime players. Ultimately, there is- likely as not- room for more than one big MMO. WoW will not be torn asunder by Warhammer, but at the same time WotLK won't stop the Waaagh in its tracks.

There will be Warhammerers who go back to WotLK- but also remember a lot of people in War either quit WoW ages ago or never played it at all- there will be plenty to play WAR after Lich King goes live.

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 5:03PM Jesspiper said

"The idea that you only play one is really kind of silly."

Hmmm, that's strange because me, my fiancee and several other friends I know only play one MMORPG. Obviously many people play multiple MMO's but the idea that people just play one isn't silly, it's entirely real and should not be dismissed.

Mark Jacobs needs to take his head out of his own ass. He is easily one of the most arrogant game developers I have ever seen quoted. The only reason WAR is half as successful as it is, is because it has Warhammer on the cover and EA's financial backing. If this game was entirely an original Mythic product (a DAoC 2, if you will) it would be nowhere near where WAR is today.

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 5:08PM Triskelion said

• 1 heart
Mark, go suck EA's dick - its been two days since you last did it, they must be missing you by now. You fat ego maniac, your game is a niche product, appealing to a select niche crowd - just like how DAoC was never able to run with the big boys; WAR is the same way. WoW is 4 years old, it should be in some kind of decline at this point, so don't go sticking your stomach out and flexing all over, you haven't accomplished anything yet.

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 5:10PM (Unverified) said

While I have been subscribed to more than one MMO at a time in the past, it is usually only because one of the subs still has time on it after I canceled it.

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 5:19PM (Unverified) said

I know some who are subscribing to both WoW and WAR. WoW is their long play session game and WAR is their instant gratification game for shorter play sessions, which makes sense when you look at them. You can accomplish a lot in WAR in a very short time.

Personally, I think they should just let it rest, because the two games are far more different than they are alike. If you like doing dungeons and raiding, you play WoW. If you like PvP and instant gratification, you play WAR. It's really pretty simple. The two games are different enough that they don't actually occupy the same type of audience.

What Mythic needs to do is get the message across that WAR's PvP isn't like WoW's PvP, and just because you hated WoW's PvP doesn't mean you'll hate WAR's. PvP in WAR is actually fun and much more fair and balanced. Healers can kill and tanks are useful. So they should be trying to make that point to people, not trying to compete with WoW. They should be trying to differentiate themselves from WoW.

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 7:16PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
After reading halfway through the article i had to stop. being a day one beta tester (and yes, testers have said this time and time again) the game wasnt ready for launch, let alone compete against anyone.

Folks playing this incomplete game and giving kudos to EA?Mythic for all the "fantabulous" updates, are not very demanding players and are willing to take abuse or substandard mechanics.

All i can say to Mythic/EA is, way to spin that spin, and calling the devs ignorant liars would be to harsh now wouldnt it?

To the rabid fans of warhammer there is no hate, just sadness and plain fact, being politically correct is for the weak minded.

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 10:47PM (Unverified) said

I don't understand the whole 'incomplete' thing people keep talking about. Every single reviewer has said that WAR is the closest thing to a 'perfect' launch they've seen. WoW was barely playable for the first few months. But of course Blizzard had a large base of rabid brainwashed fans out there so of course users didn't leave.

Also its very nice to have consistent weekly fixes rather than once a year 'updates'. As well as content that was removed for launch to be released for free in an update.

Posted: Oct 19th 2008 10:03AM ahac said

Brainwashed fans had nothing to do with that... the lack of decent competition did.
If there was a huge game like WoW already out when WoW was released we would have a much different market now.

Posted: Oct 21st 2008 6:27PM Mabans said

I play WoW for PVE, something that from what I read, lacks in WAR. Does it make it better? No! WoW gives me what I want, which is PVE. War gives PVP, I don't understand the competition. Could you imagine how stupid 2 people would look like if they were to stand around about what desert gratified your desire more?

Please stop it, WoW is great otherwise 10 million users are morons.

Please Stop it, War is great because it fills in the PVP need everyone seems to want, lore be damned.

Pick your game, and enjoy it.

Posted: Oct 19th 2008 12:07AM TheJackman said

Warhammer lag content:

No Halloween event is a big disappointment . Warhammer is great for a Halloween events...

Posted: Oct 19th 2008 1:29PM Solidkjames said

The comments attacking Mark Jacob's are clearly those of people who fall into the category he is referring. You can't stand for anything other than your beloved game to be successful so you attack anything else. WoW was a fun game for many years but it is done, the new expansion is not gonna change the direction they took the game. As for WAR, it is clearly the most polished game at launch I have ever played in the 9 years I've been playing MMO's. Will it continue to improve and actually steal some of WoW's 2.5 million subs is the question.

People who say WoW has 10 plus million subs are including Asia and because they don't even pay for half of those subs it can't be included. We are talking Americans since we are an American ran world as the world recession is evident by our buying choices. I'm very disappointed in Blizzard for starting this flame fest as Mark never said a negative word about WoW until they started attacking Mythic.

Regardless what side of the fence you are on, their rivalry will do nothing but make both games push the envelope and maybe inspire Blizzard to realize they can't sit on their ass and still say their game is the best out there. 1 class in 4 years against 2 new classes in 3 months says all I need to hear.

Posted: Oct 19th 2008 7:55PM Jesspiper said

WAR the smoothest launch in 9 years? An American run world?

Congratulations on reaching the pinnacle of ignorance.

Posted: Oct 20th 2008 10:08AM Solidkjames said

Then do tell Ms. Jess why 90 percent of the world wants our help? But being a WoW fanboi only means you are one of those people who think if anything is different than what you like its wrong. Your opinion is the only ignorance around here.

Posted: Oct 20th 2008 2:41PM Jesspiper said

90 percent of the world eh? The world is run by the United Nations General Assembly and its Security Council, of which the United States is 1/5 of the power.

Russia, China and the Middle-East make up more than 10 percent of the world, and they all pretty much laugh at the US and give them the finger on a regular basis.

As for being a WoW fanboi. I don't play WoW, I subscribed to it for 4 months back in 04/05. I have tried WoW and WAR, but do not subscribe to either, so when I voice my disdain over Mark Jacobs' arrogance and peeing contest, it's because I don't like it. Not because I don't like WAR over WoW. I thouroughly dislike both.

Posted: Oct 19th 2008 1:49PM wjowski said

Honestly...both of them need to put their money where their mouths are and quit acting like two bored college kiddies arguing in an internet forum.

Posted: Oct 20th 2008 12:38PM Arkanaloth said

War's too PVP centric for my liking, but I hope it succeeds... Blizzard needs someone to keep them from getting too comfortable.

Posted: Oct 21st 2008 1:27PM joerendous said

^^this

Posted: Oct 21st 2008 2:01PM Joey the Squid said

I don't play Warhammer, however that's mainly because I own a Mac and I prefer PVE to PVP. That said I do hope Hammer does well and becomes a viable alternative to WoW. My reasons for this are selfish, but they're relevant.

Firstly ever since the introduction of Warhammer, occurrences of ganking and griefing on my WoW PVP server have gone down significantly. And while it's never good to lose PVPers, I can't help but feel that this is a positive thing. This is because most of these people were not engaging in real PVP (that is unless you think a group of 70s camping 30s in STV is real PVP). Simply put, Warhammer seems to attract the WoW players I personally like the least. So I'm glad they now have a game that better represents their interests, in turn giving me a game that better represents mine.

The other reason I hope Hammer succeeds is simply a matter of competition. Competition makes for better products. Good concepts can be borrowed (stolen) while bad ones are rendered extinct. And in the end we all win.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2008 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Why Mark is making those comments is beyond me, I have WAR, I plan on subscribing ...but how can he expect to compete with BEhemoth that's Blizzard when Mythic don't even have a official tech support forum...

Sorry Mark happy customers=$$, THAT ones one of the things up to this point that Blizzard has done right have official forums, have in GAME GM assist players with issues...and all the poor saps who bought the game and cant even run it for various reasons are pointed BY MYTHIC to post on various public forums
"cause Mythic Tech support folks read those forums"

EPIC FAIL Mark!!! get out of your bubble before you ruin this game.

Just google "warhammer online stuttering" or visit warhammer allaince under user to user support there are at least 3 post all those with well over 82k view each, and that's not even counting the request many players have been asking for help since Head Start weekend...like someone above me said, put your money where your mouth is...THIS was not a flawless launch, nor ONLY a small minority of players are having the poor performance issue, on quad core systems and top of the line video cards.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2008 10:41AM Negatron said

WoTLk is going to bring back alot of old users that has retired, and if it doesnt...It will attract new users.