Posted: Oct 17th 2008 11:12AM (Unverified) said

I'm always here ready to push DDO on people. With mod 8 coming out (moar previews please), I can't wait to dive back in. Excellent game.

Posted: Oct 17th 2008 11:35AM (Unverified) said

I got and played DDO when it first came out, but never went back after the first month.

I've always been curious to see what it turned into and how it's progressed. I think it could of been something really great for small groups of friends to play, but I think it tried too hard at the launch to be like all the other MMO's instead of going for that more unique D&D experience.

Posted: Oct 17th 2008 12:11PM (Unverified) said

DDO has always been a game to play with friends, for those that want to solo, check out mod 8. Now you have hireable NPCs

Posted: Oct 17th 2008 1:09PM (Unverified) said

I have tried DDO a few times, but could never get into it due to the control scheme. I tried setting up the key mappings and bindings the way I thought they should work, but it didn't help.

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 6:03AM AnthonyHJ said

Ah, Mabinogi...

Every so often, well three times now, someone mentions it and I wonder why I haven't tried it. I download it, install it, then realise that I can't play it because I am not in North America...

I also remember DDO being a little iffy at release. I persisted, my wife did not. I had a good guild and there were good times, but we all started to fade away and one day I came in to find the guild was no more. Once that happened, I made the mistake of accepting pick-up groups (which has a whole unfortunate double meaning if you play a female character) and burned out pretty fast.
If my wife ever agrees to join me, maybe I will go back...

Posted: Oct 18th 2008 7:19PM (Unverified) said

I think you picked a couple of the least impressive points about Dungeons and Dragons Online. More impressive things would be:

A great LFG system that people actually use.

Arguably the best quests in any MMO. None of this "go bring me 20 rabbit ears and then come back so you can then get me 20 pig ears" stuff. Want to grind in a generic field on generic monsters to level up? Sorry, if you want to level up in DDO, you'll have to do more interesting and fun things than that.

The greatest freedom in character creation of any MMO. Want to be a wizard who wears armor and fights with two big swords? No problem. Want to be an agile, dexterity finesse fighter? Ok. Want to be a barbarian who can also disable traps? No problem. Want to be a battle cleric who heals the good guys and then beats up the bad guys with a two-handed axe? Check. Want to be a fighter who can use magic wands? You got it.

The best combat of any MMO. Period. Trip people, run-and-gun, flank, do a backflip when a giant is swinging his club at you to get out of his range and then tumble back in to then hit him, collision detection so you can stand between the bad guy and your frail wizard, block, etc. What other MMO lets me manually dodge a fireaball!?

All the people who complain about WoW clones? Here you go.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance