Posted: Oct 16th 2008 8:06AM (Unverified) said

May have more to do with the economy tanking. WAR's a fairly hardcore MMO. I don't know if a lot of tabletop players who weren't MMO players (I don't think MMO players would have been spending hours in the store talking about their hobby) would suddenly jump on the online bandwagon.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 8:13AM (Unverified) said

Hmm. I should have mentioned it wasn't a US store. We've only had 48 hours of economic problems here so far.

Nevertheless, tabletoppers and warhammer RPGers could have been interested enough to give the MMO a try. I don't know if that's the explanation, but we're curious if some of you fall into that category and the MMO has cut your table activities.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 8:33AM (Unverified) said

I do think it is possible. It was like that with World of Warcraft. I am a long time MMO player but lots of my friends, who before WoW had never set "foot" in a MMO world, started with WoW and they say that they will never play another MMO.
It was Warcraft that attracted them.. for the love they have for the IP.
That same is happening with Warhammer.. I bet many today Warhammer Online players are like my friends.. first comers to a virtual world where their beloved IP is now alive and kicking.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 9:05AM (Unverified) said

I know that in America, Games Workshop has been tanking at a steady rate, they are currently THE most expensive miniatures retailer here. In fact, since it arrived in America, the North American GW has not turned a profit once, ever. They are entirely held aloft by the European market.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 9:59AM Ayenn said

regardless of what store manager Todd says or your blind and delusional belief that we have had only about only a 48 hour "bump" in our economy (the "bump" started well over a year ago... remember those crappy gas prices that only have mildly let up this last week? remember how that drove every thing that sits on a shelf to be purchased a minimum of 20%? 48 hours? ...crack smoker!) i have to agree with Ted Logan's assertion. i know, from being a former game shop manager of 4 years, Games Worshop fans are fanatics. no silly computer game will get in the way of their rabid fanaticism. a failing global economy will, though.

the demographic for table top war gamer is pretty much the same demographic for videogame players (37 yo moderate class individuals with a "start up" family. the difference is the TTWGs are dominantly male while the VGs have a 48ish percent female population.)

given my wife's attitude about my several Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40k, Mordheim, and Inquasition armys (she calls them my little guys) is when push came to shove and if she were concerned about bambinos or the fact Christmas is coming up, she would definitely ask me to curb my miniature army habit, if i still had one. reason being: IT IS ENORMOUSLY EXPENSIVE!

my smallest army, a 2500 point black Templar demon hunter space-marines army, if purchased today with all the paints and stuff and things, would cost around $1000. my next smallest army (yes, this one is small in comparison to others) is a 5000 point vampire counts army that would have cost me close to $3000 if i had purchased it today.

as you can see, the cost of this particular hobby is quite prohibitive in our current financial crisis... especialy when you consider most TTWG players buy around 3 armys a year.

anyone's wife (or husband), even if sympathetic towards gaming, would tell their TTWG mate to cool it for a while on the army purchasing if the gamer was not of a mind to stop on their own.

only 48 hours of economic problems? do something other than play videogames... your senses of reality is warped.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 10:59AM (Unverified) said

The economy affects sales, that's bound to be true. But it doesn't affect people who have already bought their armies. (Yes, I know it doesnt stop there..) They would still play, even if they wouldn't have money to buy new products.
I'd say WoW nearly killed tabletop rpg among our friends, we're now getting slowly back on track. I think WAR will do the same to miniature gaming in some circles(at least Fantasy Battle).
Actually I've been thinking on the same lines when I heard WAR was coming last year, because of my experiences with rpg and wow..

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 11:15AM (Unverified) said

Actually, for me it's quite the opposite. I have been a very long time miniature gaming fan, and I started with Warhammer and Warhammer 40k back in the early 90's. I don't even want to think how much money I've spent on GW's miniatures, and they are not the only company I bought miniatures from.

But after a couple of long distance moves and difficulty finding people to play with I had mostly sold off or discarded my miniature collection. I still have some of the old books however.

Since picking up Warhammer Online though, I've started to get the itch to paint miniatures and play the game again. I've picked up the Soulstorm expansion to Dawn of War this week, and I've been looking at the GW site lately, considering what I can make for purchases. So for me, the MMO has re-sparked my interest in miniature gaming.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 11:46AM Mr Angry said

Have you got any pictures of your tabletop armies, I'm interested in seeing them?

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 11:16AM (Unverified) said

I feel that warhammer online has made me play the tabletop more!

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 6:13PM (Unverified) said

I'm exactly the same. WAR has motivated me to finish the final 1000 pts of my Orcs & Goblins army.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 11:58AM TheJackman said

I do not play with tabletop, I only play PC/wii/xbox 360 games....

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 4:36PM (Unverified) said

What killed Warhammer and 40K?

Games Workshop.

Great I.P.
Stupid management.

I was done when they published the following bit of insight. "We have around a 2 year cycle to develop an army. We work on the minatures, units and look from the beginning. We work on their rules for around 3 months." Sorry, but if it is a wargame, it needs to have some real dedication to the actual GAME part.

They favor specific armies and even change rules to make those armies perform better in tournaments. They even changed the entire rules to better favor these armies in the 5th edition.

Their prices have skyrocketed, the quality has been slipping, and the CEO has made questionable decisions pretty much constantly.

Andy Chambers, (now at Blizzard as a world designer for WOW) was so frustrated with their favoritism and refusal to make things balanced for a great game he left.

I have 3-5 armies, tons of miniatures and I haven't played in around 2 years because of their greed. Frankly I am glad, the new rules suck eggs.

Posted: Oct 16th 2008 8:22PM Jesspiper said

WAR dented my miniature painting time for about a week or two. I won't be renewing my sub. Back to painting.

The two experiences (love 'em or hate 'em) are so vastly different I would be shocked if it were even possible for one to actually cause someone to stop playing the other. MMO vs MMO sure, byt Tabletop vs MMO? Apples vs Oranges x10.

If anything is going to stop someone collecting Warhammer, it's Games Workshop's obscenely high prices and constant re-writting game systems.

Swordsman launches today