Posted: Oct 14th 2008 5:04PM Mr Angry said

I imagine it was initially a year, but they are going to redevelop the engine from the ground up to compete against the current and future MMO experiences a little better and to offer a different experiences.

Bit disappointing really, as this was one of the pieces of news that got my attention at the time.

I was also thinking maybe there were going to fully integrate virtual technology so you stick a helmet/goggles on and you are there?

Posted: Oct 14th 2008 5:17PM (Unverified) said

I don't think most people really took that yearly expansion thing from blizzard seriously.

Posted: Oct 14th 2008 5:36PM Abriael said

According to me, an expansion a year is just the sweet spot, not too often, but enough to give a sizeable influx of new content to a game. Less then that risks to get kind of stale, expecially for the less casual players that tend to burn trough the content of an average expansion in a few months.

It depends on the contents of the expansion though, If it adds just more grinding (IE: more levels) they can keep it. I prefer games to expand horizontally, instead of vertically, making the entry bar to the endgame for new players higher and previous content completely obsolete.

Posted: Oct 15th 2008 3:19AM (Unverified) said

Everquest 2 has done this beautifully. Every other expansion is just more content for the same level. Then again, they tend to do it all a little quicker, so I'm guessing it amounts to the same thing.

(At first I was kind of pissed with the Faydark expansion. My top level toon was stuck. But after coming back to the game after a break and rolling a new toon, I crowned that one as the best expansion yet.)

Posted: Oct 15th 2008 5:16AM Meurik said

I'd rather see more "endgame content" come to WoW, rather than that they increase the level cap every so often. They can make the progression increasingly more difficult, without the need for raising the level cap or adding additional talents. Could also be done by the use of "mini expansions" much like the 2.4 patch was with the inclusion of an entirely new zone complete with a 5-man instance and a 25-man raid. Some WoW players are still waiting to explore the depths of "Uldum". Hoping we'll get to see it sometime during Wrath of the Lich King's run.

One major drawback with Wrath of the Lich King (as it also was with Burning Crusade), is that all the hard earned gear that every player has accumulated basically becomes useless only a level or so later (some cases the gear lasts longer before being replaced).

Posted: Oct 15th 2008 9:41AM Solidkjames said

The one knock I have on Blizzard is the fact that they are the most financially successful MMO of all time but their development timeline and content releases are among the worst ever. 4 years and we barely get 2 expansions and 1 new class. Most of the content is rinse and repeat. They are an amazing company but they need to hire some experienced devs from other companies to come in and help them improve WoW. In my opinion it has been terrible in this area.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM