Posted: Oct 12th 2008 7:49PM (Unverified) said

Sadly a number of the famous PVP players in EVE use isk selllers on the internet to replenish their coffers. Those with deep pockets in real life can play EVE PvP and not have to sweat or grind to build ISK like those who play the games by the rules. It is the main reason I left EVE, a steep death penatly encourages this type of cheating.

Posted: Oct 12th 2008 11:48PM SgtBaker said

It ain't cheating.
Selling timecodes and characters are both "legal" and CCP supported activities. You can always discuss the morality (and fun) of getting your ISK that way, but it's not cheating.

Posted: Oct 13th 2008 1:00PM Brendan Drain said

This is the same argument I've had a dozen times with people over EVE and it's the reason I wrote this article. The idea that PvP always requires a lot of isk is a common misconception and I must admit I used to think this way too. When it comes down to it, all PvP requires is a group of people to gang with and a lot of practice. You can successfully PvP in gangs of cheaply fit frigates or cruisers perfectly well, especially since Faction Wafare came out.

The ship I fly the most is a Thorax (tech 1 cruiser) with entirely tech 1 and named modules. Losing the ship costs me just under a million isk after insurance (seriously) and I have a big stack of them waiting in my home station for me. In fact, these ships are so cheap that I give them out free to members of my corp. And even though it's cheap as hell, they're still extremely effective ships in small roaming gangs.

Self-confessed faction-a-holic Siigari Kitawa (who usually flies ships worth billions of isk) laughed when I forced him into one of these for a gang but five minutes later, we faced off against a well-fit heavy assault ship and won. In small groups of 2-3, we've successfully destroyed heavy assault ships, a bunch of battlecruisers and even killed a battleship without losing any ships.

Most ships drop a pile of tech 2 modules as loot, meaning a single kill usually pays for the entire gang to get replacement ships. I actually make a profit in an average night's PvP and without having to worry about the cost of replacing my ship, I find myself having a lot more fun.

Posted: Oct 12th 2008 10:01PM (Unverified) said

EVE itself is an ISK seller. You can sell time codes through the games website for ISK. Everyone does this. Why else have there been articles popping up like "Too many Titans?" ....because ISK is flowing like water.

RMT in EVE is alive and well, and it's so cheap now to get a whole fleet, pilots and all. Still a great game, though!

Posted: Oct 13th 2008 12:18AM Avantime said

The timecodes are mutually benificial, the rich players get free subscription and the isk-poor players get more isk. It helps even out the income gap between the titan pilots and the newbies.

Posted: Oct 13th 2008 2:07AM TheJackman said

I never will play this game like its all about who got the more big pockets in real life....

Just lame

Posted: Oct 13th 2008 11:00AM Evy said

Agreed. It may be perfectly legal, but it's definitely not for me.

Posted: Oct 13th 2008 12:35PM Brendan Drain said

I can say with absolute certainty that this is NOT the case. In fact, I'm not sure how you got this idea considering the article was saying that the exact opposite is true.

EVE is not like other MMOs in that buying a character with high skills and the most expensive equipment does not make you uber. Expensively fit ships are not EVE's equivalent of level 80. You absolutely cannot buy your way to victory, even with the best equipment your ship will still go down in a fleet engagement when called as a primary target.

Why I Play: ArcheAge