Posted: Oct 5th 2008 10:33AM Skruff said

For me, it's absolutely the company I keep. My guildies and I were having a recent conversation regarding WAR and one player saying that it felt like the gameplay was repetitive. My argument was that the game play in all MMOs is repetitive to some degree...

You see an enemy (real or NPC), you press 1, 2, 3, rinse, repeat...

Every now and then, you may throw in 4 for fun or if you're really feeling crazy, 7. But in general, it's going to be the same basic keystrokes to defeat an enemy in a MMO.

That's not necessarily what keeps me in the game, though. What keeps me there is whether that repetition is outweighed by several other factors, one of which are the people I play with. I get bored very quickly with the MMOs where I don't have anyone else to play with, or I don't like the community of players I can play with. If I find a good guild, I'll stick around significantly longer enduring the almost inevitable grind just to spend time with my virtual (and occasionally, real life) friends.

So the community, whether it be the one of my choosing or the one I happen across, is really pivotal to my enjoyment of MMOs

Posted: Oct 5th 2008 11:54AM (Unverified) said

I believe people still play (original) Everquest (and some other older titles) not because of the game itself but because of the relationships they have (and have formed) within the game. The gameworld is just a backdrop for why they are really there -- to socialize and have fun reaching in-game goals together. Everquest is, obviously, more than a graphical chat system but the gameplay is of secondary importance so there is no compelling need to move onto the "next great MMOG."

Posted: Oct 6th 2008 7:32AM johnnic1235 said

Absolutely - it is the company you keep AND the sense of community fostered by the developers and forum moderators.

After 4+ years - longer than I have played any game not called Civilization - I had played out City of Heroes, over and over again (admittedly, not a difficult feat). But it was the sense of community that kept me in.

However, NCNC is slowly changing the community culture of that game since the buyout of Cryptic. I think I was among the earliest people to notice it, but it totally sapped my enjoyment of the game, even though a core group of my friends remained.

Now, more people I know are dropping out as well - so there is a bit of a cascade effect. It's a delicate thing to keep sustained for developers - I'd advise against developers messing with it if and when you have a good community established.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM