Posted: Sep 29th 2008 8:09AM postman said

I am definatly ready for something other than fantasy MMO, most notably high fantasy MMO. I would be game for a well put together steampunk MMO, its always been a genre.
Right now the MMO market imo is a little shy on good sci-fi mmos and a bit oversaturated with the high fantasy model (though hype helps to skew this). I will welcome something new with open arm. thank the mmo gods though that there are some really good looking sci-fi games on the way with Earthrise, Star Wars Old Republic, and though they arent really PVP basesd Star Trek and Stargate.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 8:19AM phobic99 said

Although I'm enjoying WAR at the moment, I would gladly jump ship for a *quality* MMO that didn't have any combination of swords, elves, or magic.

There's only a couple of sci-fi MMOs and neither one was able to provide me entertainment for more than a few days.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 8:36AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 8:49AM (Unverified) said

How about a Bladerunner MMO. That be some fun PvP.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 10:09AM (Unverified) said

As an avowed steampunk myself, I am absolutely ready for a Steampunk MMO.

Beyond my own personal interests, however, I'm simply ready to see something new and creative. Sword and Sorcery has been done to death, and even "traditional," Sci-Fi has been around the block a few times, and will be a few more with the upcoming Star Trek and Stargate MMOs. I think a Steampunk MMO would be a fantastic breath of fresh air.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 10:42AM godlyhalo said

I am sort of tired of the fantasy based MMO's, I would prefer something new. But just because its fantasy doesn't mean its not good. Take WAR for example, I've been playing that non stop and I've never gotten bored of it, and have had so much fun every time I've played it.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 10:42AM (Unverified) said

I am sick of all the elfsand dwars! I am sick of all the heroic futureworrier! And I am definatlysick of barbarrians - tho thats not their fault.

I am ready for punk! Bring it on!

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 10:50AM Softserve said

Neo Steam has attempted this, although I don't think it's done a terribly good job. It might as well be any other MMORPG, honestly. So I would like to see one that takes this genre and does something interesting with it.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 11:05AM (Unverified) said

Remember that game Arcanium? Great game.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 11:22AM (Unverified) said

I particularly like the Steampunk that is more of a Industrial Revolution/Victorian Era slant. Then you have the Victorian clothing and even swordplay to go along with some blackpowder pistols. Mix in some magic and you could have a winner.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 11:32AM (Unverified) said

It certainly would be a welcome break from the usual MMO. Heck, any steampunk game would be a welcome break from any other game. The closest thing to a steampunk game I can think of is Arcanum. Could anyone fill me in on any others?

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 4:26PM (Unverified) said

I just want a Shadowrun mmo then all would be right with the world. With my luck it would get produced by sony and the opening cinematics would be done by Uwe Bole ><
I am starting to thing that game manufacturers do zero research, I mean they released warhammer fantasy online before 40K? 40K is hugely more popular.

Posted: Sep 30th 2008 2:36AM (Unverified) said

Microsoft could have done something great with Shadowrun, since they bought the rights to it. Instead they release the piece of garbage they did.

I used the play the pen & paper game back in the day & it was by far the best one I had played.

If done properly, a Shadowrun MMO would be truly epic!

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 12:07PM (Unverified) said

Definitely MORE than ready for a good steampunk MMO. I've tried NeoSteam and while it has come cool visuals, it's just not quite right. It's a bit too "anime" for my tastes, and to be be properly steampunk. Those fluffy little "pom" guys and the anthropomorphic wolf men/fox ladies really kind of kill the whole steampunk feel for me.

I could see a steampunk game as having a really involved and fun crafting system. If someone could capture the magic of the Girl Genius comic into an MMO, that would be a heck of a game.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 1:56PM (Unverified) said

I'm still amazed that there hasn't been a Shadowrun based MMO out on the market yet...

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 2:59PM (Unverified) said

As much as I loves me some WoW, I have to say that the typical fantasy human/dwarf/elf/orc/gnome/whatever is starting to get really old.

I think a steampunk game would certainly be interesting, although personally I'd like to see a Warhammer 40k MMO.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 3:26PM LaughingTarget said

It'll have to be something more than a cosmetic skin. You can already get these kinds of games and more in the Korean MMO market, but they're mostly the same game with a different graphic set stapled onto them.

If it has something worth playing, something new, original and not a Steampunk WoW, then I'll consider it.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 4:04PM (Unverified) said

Until MMOs change their design philosophies, it doesn't really matter what new theme they adapt into the genre, it'll all still be the same, only with a different shell.

Once mainstream MMOs become more player-driven, sandbox-oriented and challenging like EVE Online, then I wouldn't mind a wild west MMO.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 5:36PM (Unverified) said

Warhammer 40k and Warhammer fantasy have the video game IP's sold to different companies. EA owns fantasy, and THQ owns 40k. Which one was released first has nothing to do with zero research as the 40k mmo was only RECENTLY put into production, it was kind of a "me too!". Warhammer fantasy was started long before the 40k mmo was even envisioned.

That being said, steam punk is amazing and is a genre that doesn't get much love in any medium. I'd say give it to me now, but I'm anxiously awaiting my heaven that is the World of Darkness mmo.