Posted: Sep 27th 2008 11:39AM JohnD212 said

Well said. I completely agree. I've said several times on the servers that they need to tighten up the servers. I joined a lower populated server cause I wanted to avoid lag and the ques to join...least did I know that I would have to miss out on so many public quests cause no one is around to do them. Forget about playing during a work day . This is the first game that forces me to play during the most busy time to ensure I have the best chance of finding actual players to play with.

I like WAR but unlike WOW ... it makes me feel lonely!

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 2:05PM (Unverified) said

Ummm.... John...

JOIN A SERVER WITH A HIGH POPULATION!

Don't complain when you are on a low populated server... You blame WAR for that and you are the one that is ignorant for joining a server with no on in it.... Everytime I do PQ's there are full groups that run them... =)

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 8:53AM (Unverified) said

Fail. Reread, try again. WAR hasn't been without it's queues.

Having to be on a high pop server to play a game properly is a design problem btw.

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 2:42PM (Unverified) said

There's nothing "broken" with PQ's. If they're empty, it's the players' fault, not necessarily the design. Game developers can only anticipate population and design content that's available for all types of players in all types of conditions and population ranges. Now, if you're implying that a PQ should be soloable from beginning to end, then that's absurd, and obviously NOT what Mythic had in mind.

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 12:09AM Jeromai said

I think of public quests as a variation on the standard "group" quests that any MMO has. You walk in solo, you realize, egads it's full of elite or champion mobs, and you grumpily realize that you can't do this one alone. Normally it sits in the quest journal like an unwanted baby until you can either get a guild group going, or get into a PUG by listening in or spamming LFG channels, or you delete it only to hear in the next five seconds that someone is building a group for it.

The nice spins WAR has made on this: The first stage is usually soloable. So you can influence grind solo and not lose out. The geographic factor means it doesn't take up quest journal space, and groups spontaneously form when they realize significant inroads are being made on the first stage or later.

If you have enough people running around for spontaneous group formation, that is.

If not, then well, it's just like any 'hard' group quest. Got to get a group. Possibly even a good one, because some of the later public quests are quite mind-bogglingly hard. Lord mobs, fer example.

And another variation, you can zerg it for completion. Your chances of good loot just go way down, is all. No maximum group size with all the cherry-picking of classes that results.

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 8:20AM (Unverified) said

> And when it comes to game design, WAR is filled with new ideas.

I count.. 2. Tome unlocks for random things giving XP and PQs (RvR isn't new). I'd really like to get into this revolution everyone's talking about, but where is it?

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 8:47AM (Unverified) said

Arguably the stone-watchmacallits being accessible from the interface instead having to trudge somewhere as well I guess. Missed that one.

Biggest grudge from a design pov for me would be that while there's plenty of content, there's still some grinding to be done because going down one track (pvp or pve) leaves you illsuited for the other (I could go on, but I don't have inf there yet).

I wonder what will happen with this at endgame, but time will tell.

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 12:20PM Abriael said

@REcursive:

The ability to exp from 0 to cap entirely in PvP
An ongoing campaign that lets you go as far as conquering the enemy city (making such PvP meaningful)
Unlockable trophys and pocket items
The ability to jump from PvE to PvP and vice-versa basically at any time and anywhere...
Could go on for hours.

And no. Going down one track (PvP or PvE) does not leave you illsuitet for the other. All masteries work well and fill a role (of course one needs to know how to play them) in both environments, equipment follow the same route. You can perform well in PvE with equipment completely earned in PvP and vice-versa. Or you can have a good mix of both and have no performance problems. This is exactly the contrary as in other games (IE WoW) where you need to respec/re-equip tyo move from PvE to PvP. in War RvR and PvE are completely seamless.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 5:01PM (Unverified) said

The focus on solely levelling through PvP is.. more intense than elsewhere, but XP through PvP isn't new and if you're going to just level through PvP on the current servers.. well you'll be doing scenarios or PvE in PvP zones.

The ongoing campaign isn't in effect yet, in fact, there's only one city for each side in the game as of now, so the meaningfulness of this is still very much undecided. Nice idea though, but not new.

Unlockable items isn't new. As I've stated elsewhere before, I in fact liked other implementations better.

Jumping from PvE to PvP is.. new? Are you serious? You relog in other games? Or do you mean the accessability through the interface, which I in fact already mentioned?

And no, they are not compatible as such. They're two seperate tracks. Sure you can do both, but you'd still have to go back in one after progressing in another if you want in on both (and I can't shake the feeling the PvP rewards are vastly superior to the PQ rewards, though this may be due to imbalance in my levels there, again proving my point).

This is of course somewhat inevitable in the current setup, but I think it could have been smoothed down a bit, for instance by making the chapter areas a bit bigger. Some seriously are a town and 3 PQs, why not make the whole zone work under the same banner?

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 5:26PM (Unverified) said

I'm very sceptical about gear and spec meaning there's integration btw.

I see your point, but like I said I perceive quite a difference in PvE/PvP rewards and I have several raiders doing quite well in BGs elsewhere. WAR of course has no arenas and we haven't really seen the PvE endgame yet, so let's wait for that until we judge.

Besides that, WAR specs really aren't as.. specialist as those in say, WoW. I don't want to call them dumbed down, but I haven't seen individual specs outshine others yet. This isn't just a pro, it also makes you more "just another number", especially with the very casual nature of groups up to this point.

Posted: Sep 30th 2008 8:36AM (Unverified) said

Yes RvR gear is better... in tier one. I ran sewers with my friends at level 15 and got a new WP robe with big bumps to every stat including morale generation. I got my tier two rvr gear, it's okay but it's not nearly as good as the blue items you find from pq's. Tier 1 is easy to get great gear thru rvr. But the pve gear gets better fast once you get out of the first two chapters.

Posted: Sep 30th 2008 8:38AM (Unverified) said

Also, @ recursive. TANKS IN PVP!

Posted: Oct 28th 2008 4:43PM (Unverified) said

After reading the title, I realized that I'd heard someone say it before-be it in a book, video game, or some other media. I was wondering where it's from?

Posted: Oct 29th 2008 1:44AM Seraphina Brennan said

Good question! Glad you asked!

It's from the song, "War" by Edwin Starr. It's one of those one hit wonder type deals. Plus, if you get the chance to watch Rush Hour, it's a running joke in the movie.

Posted: Oct 29th 2008 4:41PM (Unverified) said

Ah, I now remember where I got it from-it's one of the things that the civilians say in Civilization IV when war has been going on for an extended period.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014