Posted: Sep 27th 2008 11:50AM (Unverified) said

Does anyone know if you have to gain control of *all* of the intermediate tier (1-3) RvR battlefields before your side can unlock access to seige an enemy city?

If so, then you need PCs of *all* tiers -- not just tier 4 (max) -- to help since PCs are polymorphed into chickens if they enter a lower-tier RvR battlefield (and cannot take a control point in that form).

If not, then the tier 1-3 RvR battlefields will (continue to) be a wasteland once the first wave of players reaches tier 4 since there would be no reason to go there.

Interestingly, I found on my server, Middenheim, that only the Empire/Chaos RvR battlefield (and RvR scenarios) are frequently active but that is because all of the other races go there to fight. The Elf and Dwarf/Greenskin battlefields and scenarios always seem to be empty. :-(

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 12:38PM Seraphina Brennan said

Nay, you don't have to control tiers 1-3 to unlock the siege mode. Tiers 1-3 will help, however, in the overall WAR effort. But the sieges and endgame fall exclusively on the shoulders of tier 4.

I thought the same thing you were thinking, actually, when I first went into the game. :)

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 12:16PM (Unverified) said

Your mileage may vary between servers of course. I play Destruction on Phoenix Throne, one of the head start RP servers, so I also have the huge population and wait times. I rarely have trouble finding people to fight in the Tier 2 area. Tier 1 is kind of so-so. The Chaos/Empire area is often a hotbed of conflict. The other areas are barren.

My guild this week did a keep siege in the tier 2 High Elf/Dark Elf area. The northern keep was controlled by the Dark Elves and the south by the High Elves. We easily battered down the doors but six of us couldn't handle the keep lord and the couple of people who showed to see what was happening. After that, we participated in defense of the northern keep, driving off a pretty large force of Order types, then zerged down to the southern keep and eventually took it.

Mind you, this was a Wensday night, not exactly the biggest draw time for gaming. And we have probably 40-50 people between both sides fighting over these keeps. I'd say that's a pretty good response.

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 7:43PM (Unverified) said

"I rarely have trouble finding people to fight in the Tier 2 area. Tier 1 is kind of so-so. The Chaos/Empire area is often a hotbed of conflict. The other areas are barren."

I play Order on Ironfist and I've found this to be true as well. I wouldn't say the other areas are completely barren, but the Chaos/Empire pairing seems to be the place where most people flock in order to play with their friends, etc.

As for the article, I agree with most of what you've said but I would like to mentio a few things about my experiences with public quests. While I do sometimes have trouble finding people to do a specific PQ, there are multiple PQs for each chapter and thus they all grant influence toward the same chapter and set of rewards.

Usually if one PQ is empty, I can find another PQ for the same chapter that has plenty of people. If not, I just check back in a little while after doing a scenario or quest and sure enough there are people to do it. Also, at least in the first two tiers (haven't been further yet), the first stage of every PQ is soloable, so there is a way to participate and gain influence if you're determined to do so by yourself. You just have to stop when it reaches the second stage and go to another PQ in that chapter until the first one resets. Not an ideal way to do it, but if you're desperate for the influence during an off-peak time, it may be worth it to you.

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 1:59AM Seraphina Brennan said

Oh yes, that is the good news to the situation. You always have places to go no matter what. But if you have your heart set on a particular PQ, then you may be out of luck as the players might be somewhere else.

Anywho, yes, that is a wonderful point. Once again, another point showing that WAR is just overloaded with content. A very good and only semi-bad thing at the same time. So weird saying that too much content is a bad thing. XD

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 12:24PM (Unverified) said

I play on two servers, Kislev (destro) and Rakarth (order) and I've found it a mix bag really. I'm currently on Teir 2 on both (taking my time since i'm playing 6 characters) and I've found it really depends on the time of day. during prime time hours i've had no problems getting into scenarios, don't RvR stuff and PQ's. there always seems to be people "there" and both servers i play on are pretty low to med pop servers.

The game is fun. I played WoW since launch in 04 and have leveled several characters to 70. after awhile WoW felt like work. a chore to get that next piece of armor or to learn the raids so I don't get yelled at by guildmates. WAR is different, WAR is fun. the community thus far is great. It seems like we're all the same breed of folks, the "WoW refugees". The only problem is perhaps the game is too fun? I know that's a horrible silly argument but i'm playing 6 classes right now and I'm having a hell of a hard time focusing on one or 2 to level as my main. each class I've played is just fun.

a couple days ago I closed my WoW account. I won't be going back for a long time and even Lich King won't draw me back, I was in the beta for that and I just perfer WAR. it's a breath of fresh air in what was quickly becoming a stale MMO field.

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 12:44PM Seraphina Brennan said

No, no, I fully agree with you on the "game is too much fun" front. There's so much to do and so much to see that not only do you get a horrible case of alt-itis but you also find the player base very diffused across the server because everyone is finding different things they enjoy doing.

Bad Mythic for making a fun game! Bad! (Wow, who ever thought that could be a "problem?")

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 12:31PM (Unverified) said

Good summary overall but shouldn't you be comparing battlegrounds to scenarios not open rvr.

I think the problem with the open rvr is that there is very little reason to do them over the scenarios which give better xp and gold.

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 12:41PM Seraphina Brennan said

Ah, yes, I can see why you asked that. I actually wanted to keep this article strictly on the topic of Warhammer Online versus itself.

Although, if you want an answer on the comparison... Scenarios > WoW Battlegrounds. :)

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 8:52AM (Unverified) said

True there is very little actual reason, but If I go into an area and its towers are capped by order...I almost feel offended. I typically drop whatever I'm doing and at least TRY to cap them myself. I dunno why. Its just so compulsory for me.

I guess its just a pride thing.

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 12:52PM (Unverified) said

I thought War was fun and was happy with it until I hit level 19 and did all the quests in all 3 of the pairings plus hundreds of scenarios and was still level 19.
Mythic needs to fix the leveling rate it is fine up to rank 18 or 19 but there is a serious problem after that.
I have already canceled my subscription before my free month is up. After the free month is up there will be very few left playing if the leveling grind isn't fixed.
It is much easier to keep a customer you have already than to get a new customer.

Posted: Sep 27th 2008 4:25PM (Unverified) said

Seriously?

I did only Empire quests and scenarios, and have had zero problem leveling up. I haven't had to travel to other pairings to get levels.

I'm level 23 and rank 20 now and have only done the first chapter in Empire Tier 3.

Are you doing the repeatable quests when you do scenarios?

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 12:19AM Jeromai said

I think this is a server community issue. Most MMOs will develop 'characteristic' servers over time, some are more crowded and packed with people with all the pluses (more social interaction) and minuses (more idiots) that result.

If most of a server's community is into scenarios rather than open world RvR, then one will suffer at the expense of the other.

Me, I like the packed servers myself. Queues can be tolerated.

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 11:30AM Abriael said

You didn't consider that as of now it's a lil early to see the typical costant roll of new characters that's in mature MMORPGS. At the moment the new level 1s, simply include new people that join the game, that are discouraged to join pretty overpopulated server like yours or mine (Phoenix throne, and I can tell you that lower tiers are already more population in PT than in ST, because queues are lower). People already on the server are, at the moment, working on their first character to get to 40, and as such very few create alts. When people will reach the endgame they'll start rolling out alts and the lower tiers will re-populate.
This, of course, if the cccount retention and growth are good. But i see no reason for them not to be :D

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 11:19PM (Unverified) said

WAR is fun, and I have to agree with several people which have the alt-itis issue. I think it is because I'm not feeling a driven to level as I did in WoW; I can have fun now, I don't mind playing at level16 and there is no rush for me to level.

Regarding the RvR open areas, they are a little desolate in places. I'd attribute three things to this
1. To many and too large an area
2. So much else to do
3. Not significant enough motivation/rewards
4. It actually takes a bit of time, where the rest of the game can be done in 15min chunks
5. The high level hero's at the end. In a 11-21 zone, putting level 20 heros at the end mean its very difficult unless there are some level 20ish tanks.

Overall though its a tonne of fun, and with a bit of polish and time it only needs to ensure endgame is as good as leveling to keep me happy.

Posted: Sep 28th 2008 11:55PM (Unverified) said

I think this is by far the easiest game to have an alt in, and you're exactly right Pete. there's really no rush to reach end game. each tier is important so I can level as many alts as I want and play in a tier without feeling useless like other MMO's. I think that's another thing that makes this game fun. You don't feel useless. Your character hits the ground running right from level 1. right off the bat you can jump into scenarios and in a short amount of time start doing RvR. and since the game is split up into Tiers each tier is important. even level 10 and below guys are important to the overall campaign of your faction. Mythic did a wonderful job with this and I think this is key to making the game fun.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 4:34AM (Unverified) said

Very good read, Im in tier 1 and I have found that PQs close to quest hubs are normally popular but the ones further away are not getting done.

My only gripe with the game is that it looks so bad without AA and FFSA turned on at the hardware level. I nearly uninstalled it because the textures looked so poor. Then a guildy reminded me to enable AA and FFSA and the game is transformed like no other. the character now look excellent.

I think I may have finally found a home away frojm wow.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 7:50AM (Unverified) said

I've been playing on one of the EU servers and generally (generally) I've not had a problem doing PQ's. Whats handy is that there is that little button under your portrait that tells you how many open groups there are around you and more importantly, what they are doing.

I've played for good chunks from about lunch time to 4am (holidays ;) and whilst you obviously don't get anywhere near as many groups at the early AM, you still get them.

If you want and absolute blast, get yourself into Troll Country and do the PQ at the Chaos gate. This is quite possibly one of the most epic feeling events I've ever experienced in a game.

Due to the nature of the PQ reward system tanks tend to do quite badly (in my experience) in the ranking, so here you tend to get the tanks trying to pull as many groups as possible so they can hammer on something without the DPS nuking it. This leads to HUGE pulls and it feels totally, totally out of control. Then there is the dreaded ecort quest, except (gasp!) the NPC is not made of heamophilliac kittens! It doesn't feel like an escort, it actually feels like there is a total bad ass who 'could do with a hand'.

Man. I CANNOT overstate how awesome this event is.

Are you still here? Got get a group and run it NOW.

Posted: Sep 29th 2008 7:56AM (Unverified) said

Oops, forgot to mention: The PQ I went on about at the end, is miles from the road, past some fairly nsaty mobs and even some other PQ's, but I found no trouble getting a group for it. At least during a Sunday afternoon...