Posted: Nov 13th 2008 11:14AM Comrade Domovoi said

Not being a rabid fanboi or anything, but Warhammer is Dark Fantasy, if you want to get "technical". Also, if you want to get technical theres so many subgenres of fantasy its stupid. Whatever happened to good old plain fantasy?

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 8:24AM (Unverified) said

Yes, Yes, a thousand times yes. I'd love a decent Cyberpunk/Post-Apocalyptic MMO. Something different from elves and dragons, please.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 1:50PM (Unverified) said

Steam punk! NOW NOW NOW!

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 8:26AM (Unverified) said

Never!!
More chop chop ..less pew pew.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 8:29AM (Unverified) said

Pokemon sounds like it would be a great MMO... lol...

But yes, I am sick of the same fantasy MMOs... some companies love to use this genre just like they like making WW2 fps... it gets old after awhile...

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 8:29AM DaBruuzer said

Absolutely. I can't even look at another fantasy MMO.

Way back in the day, Earth & Beyond was an excellent game, only to have it's life (and Westwood Studios) cut short by EA. It had a loyal fan base, whom to this day is still trying to revivie the project with the Earth & Beyond Emulator (http://www.enb-emulator.com).

Since then only CoX has kept me entertained, although I have to give EVE a mention, even though I don't personally like it. Seems popular though.

So, on the horizon we have:

- Jumgate Evolution
- Champions Online
- Star Trek Online
- Fallout MMO
- KotOR MMO

Here's hoping they are quality products, that can finally break the fantasy cookie-cutter approach.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 8:37AM (Unverified) said

Leave Frodo?!? NEVER!!

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 9:08AM batzimov said

There's only so many times you can do it, really. And a handful of games have already perfected most aspects of the Swords and Sorcery world in their own way.

How about Feudal Japan? How about the Old West, or even a Deadlands-style spin on it? How about Cold War-era espionage in the Eastern Bloc? Occult-themed mystery solving for 1890s Scotland Yard! So many things they can do.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 9:17AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 9:50AM (Unverified) said

Sorry, but Lord of the Rings isn't High Fantasy, it's Low Fantasy ;)

Everquest for example is High Fantasy :)

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 11:00AM aboutblank77 said

"The Lord of the Rings is seen as the quintessential high fantasy tale that all others either emulate or studiously avoid"

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 9:52AM Evy said

Yes and no. I'm looking forward to seeing more MMOs that are not fantasy-based, but I'm not sick of fantasy. I do want to see more variety. I'm especially looking forward to the World of Darkness MMORPG currently being developed by White Wolf/CCP.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 1:53PM (Unverified) said

That right there is the MMO I've wanted since I found out what MMO's were.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 5:07PM Evy said

Same here, Tasogare. I actually applied for a job with them when I found out about it. Sadly there wasn't a place for me at the time. They were looking for interns and game designers. I wasn't financially able to take an internship (need more money to live, hehe) and I don't have the experience to be a game designer. Maybe in a few more years, when they're closer to production, there will be a place for me. :)

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 10:32AM Softserve said

Most people do seem to consider Lord of the Rings high fantasy, not low.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 11:02AM (Unverified) said

Not enough high profile magic used. Tolkien, Leiber, and Howard are dark (low fantasy).

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 3:31PM wjowski said

"Low" fantasy refers to fantasy settings which feature moral ambiguity (A Song Of Fire And Ice, for example), as opposed to clearly delineated black-and-white moral positions (such as...well...Lord Of The Rings). Proliferation of magic and fantastic races has nothing to do with it.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 10:58AM (Unverified) said

I would LOVE to see different options BUT I bet I would always return to the high fantasy setting. Elves forever!

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 11:12AM (Unverified) said

While I will say that I am tired of it, truth to be told if someone makes an INNOVATIVE high fantasy MMO, then I'll probably play it. We've yet to have a true next generation fantasy MMO. We're still stuck in the WoW generation there.

Posted: Sep 26th 2008 11:27AM aboutblank77 said

I hate this question. I'm not tired of fantasy in general, I'm not even tired of high fantasy specifically. It's the SAME high fantasy over and over that gets annoying.

I can certainly imagine a good number of settings for games that would be considered high fantasy and not contain a single elf, have not a beard of dwarf, and have neither dungeons nor dragons anywhere in sight.

Fantasy is NOT as well explored a genre for mmos or games in general as people seem to believe. It is a vast and fruitful genre of undiscovered opportunity, and yet people continue to go back to the same goddamn well for 'inspiration.' Now that's dry and everyone is all "okay guys we're done here. Let's go to space."

I have nothing against sci fi, but I strongly object to the idea that 'fantasy' is done.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny