| Mail |
You might also like: WoW Insider, Joystiq, and more

Reader Comments (6)

Posted: Sep 25th 2008 4:56PM Graill440 said

  • 1 heart
  • Report
Hmm, 300,00 on one server is a simple untruth, lie whatever you like to call it, i am sure "they" have a different terminology and way of substantiating that 300k on on server statement.

These folks would lead you to believe that 300k players are on the eve server, most reasonable folks understand what they "meant" to say, like any politician they mislead to great lengths to get those folks not in the know to jump on the bandwagon.

If not for the statement and it's intention, WHy did CCP state it the way they did, this is to quell any arguments that may rise, they did it on purpose, there may indeed be 300k plus or minus a percentage registered to play from multiple accounts from the same folks that may come close or slightly over 300k but in reality CCP can show its own server records

...............and the number is only low double digits playing at peak times, to this day, avg number is around 9k to 13 k, quite a bit different from the intended reaction they wanted from their misleading statement.

let me fix it for them:

CCP has slightly over 300k subscribers registered to use the EVE server, this includes cancelled accounts and free trials, a large portion of these are from multiple accounts from the same user. At peak times we reach double digit numbers in the low 30k to 50k range. due to double digit peak time numbers lag becomes severe, be careful out there.

Posted: Sep 25th 2008 5:51PM Cyron said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
Most companies that put user statistics out there comment on their total users, not making distinctions for one person using multiple accounts, and often including trials.

So yes, though the comment is somewhat misleading, it's not really any more or less misleading that similar stats given out by other massively multiplayer games
Reply

Posted: Sep 25th 2008 5:31PM Wgraves said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
Its all based on 42... no wonder its soo wonderful.....

@possum, stickler much? BTW when I say my city has 300,000 people in it, how many of those are actively interacting, I know its higher % than eve, but a very similar concept. Today peaked at 30,000 according to the server chart, and >10% concurrent interaction is pretty good in any game.



Posted: Sep 25th 2008 5:38PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
While you're right that eve doesnt have 300k online at the same time, you're wrong about the rest of your post. Most of the time there is about 30k people online, with no lag worth mentioning (unless you're in one of the few highly populated systems) and the 300k is active subscribtions.

Posted: Sep 25th 2008 6:38PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
I too would like to say that the case has been misrepresented. The 300k does not include canceled accounts. It is the number of active accounts. No, they are not online all at the same time. Average server load is somewhere around 10% of subscriptions at any given time.

Posted: Sep 25th 2008 8:25PM (Unverified) said

  • 2.5 hearts
  • Report
@possum: Even if only 10-15% of those 300,000 *active* accounts are online at any one time, the other 90% still have their skills quietly ticking away, market orders up, mailboxes running - and could show up in the game world at any time. So just because only 10% is 'running hot' at any one time doesn't mean the remainder is forgotten about.

Take the 'city' analogy: maybe you won't have more than 10% of people driving on the roads at any one time, but the city still needs to cope with the needs of the other 90%.

Go read an EVE quarterly economic report - you'll see that CCP's playerbase figures only include active, paid account (and not the extra two characters on most accounts). And so what if some people have more than one account? It's not like people with two accounts require any LESS server power than two accounts owned by different individuals (especially if the multi-account holders are dual-boxing).

Featured Stories

Engadget

Engadget

Joystiq

Joystiq

WoW Insider

WoW

TUAW

TUAW