Posted: Sep 18th 2008 8:23PM (Unverified) said

Let me make a case for not playing it right now...

EA screwed up the distribution. Thousands of pre-orders still are not even shipped or going to ship any time soon.

Mythic went and changed their policy from allowing pre-orders until Sept 22nd to register retail copy to cutting the pre-orders off Sept 19th at 7am.

So EA screws up, Mythic changes things, and the customers lose.

This is the new EA? This is a company that wants to compete with Blizzard?
They are failing miserably.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 8:39PM RanWitScissorz said

My pre-order came in yesterday, no interruption in service for me or anyone else at my gamestop!

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 9:26PM (Unverified) said

They cut off the grace period? :/ That's.. not cool. Hope you get in again soon.

Totally missed that, you'd think you'd see it on a news site somewhere *whistle*

Posted: Oct 2nd 2008 8:21AM (Unverified) said

I'm currently boycutting any EA product but I frankly wouldn't be so hard on them here, anyone who played DAOC knows that mythic is perfectly capable of fucking things up themselves.

Just look at their overexcited marketing bullshit, who falls for that? They're behaving like a spolied fat kid who's begging his/her parents for a candybar and the only correct answer is NO.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 8:42PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
WAR, for the casual gamer? He's kidding, right? On top of the adventure levelling, there's a whole PvP levelling system, a guild levelling system, and that doesn't count the crafting levels and the factional levels. I've heard it would take a 'hardcore' gamer 2 years to cap all the levels... meaning a casual gamer can NEVER do it.

If I had a dollar for every time an MMO developer lied through their teeth, I'd fund my own MMO.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 9:21PM (Unverified) said

Gameplay wise it has a strong casual appeal, there's xp for everything, but those other systems seem mostly there for those keeping score.

And I salute anyone who can stay awake long enough to max out crafting.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 9:49PM (Unverified) said

A game being casual friendly doesn't equate to fewer areas of content. WAR, so far, as a newbie, is relatively easy to get into - find something to do - and get out if you need to.

That's what casual is all about, bang for your time buck. Not fewer things to do.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 10:23PM (Unverified) said

I don't think that's what he means by casual-friendly. He's probably referring to the fact that you can pick up and play any time and even if you just play for 10 minutes, you can generally get something out of it.

You don't need to farm mats all week so that you can raid, then spend an hour organizing the raid, then another 5 hours raiding for a chance at a piece of loot.

Just about everything in WAR simply involves logging in, choosing to solo or join an open party, and just play until you feel like stopping.

You can do that in WoW, but a lot of the time you end up getting practically nothing out of it unless you join up for a lengthy gaming session (i.e. raiding) and stick it out for at least a couple of hours.

I know it's not that black and white, and that there are quicker things to do in WoW, etc, but I think there is still a distinction there between the two games in terms of the general approach.

I still love WoW, and plan to raid in Wrath, but I also really like WAR's pick up and play, no strings-attached feel.

Posted: Sep 19th 2008 3:11AM (Unverified) said

Like a casual gamer would care if it takes him longer than a hardcore gamer to reach the endgame. As long as it's fun, and not a waste of time (ie. finding groups, etc.) or have long commitments like 6 hour raids: then it's indeed a good casual game.

Posted: Sep 19th 2008 6:38AM lpetersson said

The reasons you give are partially the reasons why it is for the casual gamer...

There is so much to do and ways to do it.
And most of the things that made WoW so tedious and boring have been removed.

I consider myself a casual gamer and I'm happy with all the stuff I can do while still getting something out of the game.
I'm tired of quests? I'll go PVP and level up...
Tired of PVP? I'll go do some quests... Maybe I'll spend some time in the local PQ areas...

So far the game fully lives up to Paul Barnetts enthusiasm... :-)

Posted: Sep 19th 2008 9:15AM (Unverified) said

You do realize a casual gamer won't be trying to be max level. Hence the word casual in his description. They just want to have some fun. Which you can do in WAR from a very early level. At level 10 you can do lots of open world RVR, keep sieges, PQ raids, there's a TON of stuff for the casual player throughout the whole leveling process, much more than any other game has delivered.

Posted: Sep 19th 2008 9:25AM (Unverified) said

As a casual gamer, yeah, I like Warhammer so far. Now, I'm a casual gamer, I've only managed to get an hour or so of game time in, maybe it changes later, but right now the major win for me is I don't spend ages wandering lost around the map wishing the quest NPC gave clearer directions. Not only are the directions actually clearer than WoW's IMHO, you get "around here" indicators on the map. Secondly, the giant book of achievements means I'm achieving something regularly, even if not levelling.

Will I ever see the end of the game? Probably not. Last MMO I got to the end of was CoH, and really that's not because I haven't tried others. However I have countless hours of non-tedious gameplay ahead of me, from the looks of things so far.

Posted: Sep 19th 2008 10:42AM (Unverified) said

I believe you are an idiot.

Casual players want to have fun. They are not so concerned with "TEH LVL CAP!!!ZOMG"

WAR is probably one of the best games for the casual MMO player I have ever seen. Scaling PVPand public quests all let you jump right into the fray and actually let you have an impact, regardless of what level you are. Kill quests can be completed without even gettign the quest first, and quest markers point you in the general direction of where you want to go, minimizing "I can't FuCkiNg find "Bobo the gnome killer" time.

In summation: U'RE DUM

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 9:16PM (Unverified) said

Yeah Mythic's chosen some "interesting" partners to deliver their product, which is a shame, because it starts out different enough to be enjoyable. His point here about not wanting the same thing forever is not really making a case for his game in the long run though.

There's more world pvp in WAR which is good, but it's mainly quantity and others will latch on to the idea. Besides that, the PvE encounters (so far anyways, tier 3) are kind of.. shitty and the PQs aren't going to be much help at cap (kill a hundred rats you've killed em all). So.. if I don't want the same thing forever, what's there to stop me switching back when WotLK arrives?

Maybe if they get those cities in in time it will diversify PvP enough to be interesting in the long run, but just now he's only convinced me he'll help me kill my time 'til November.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 10:19PM eggmanjr said

Its bizarre that they are allowing those that pre ordered from the ea store to keep playing. Although you have to contact them by email for details, real secret squirrel stuff. So mythic supports they're own store being late but not they're other partners? Very inconsistent treatment, they should treat all they're customers the same if you ask me. Of course maybe the service from EA is sooooo bad they had to make an exception.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 10:35PM (Unverified) said

I should think the exodus of infuriated players from WOW would give them a boost at just the right time. Shamans and Hunters are fed up and wanting another option.

Posted: Sep 19th 2008 6:22AM (Unverified) said

QQ some more.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 10:39PM (Unverified) said

"He's also subtly (or not so subtly) dismissive of games that require major time commitments from their players, insisting on WAR's friendliness for the casual player."

....If that is true I will be somewhat happy. I like the idea of shorter instances, being able to log off in an instance and restart later, exp & achievements galore, and a deep crafting system. Heck, I can sink a ton of time into an MMO but I hate being forced to do so. We shall see!

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 10:50PM Graill440 said

listen to the folks here, most are spot on, warhammer IS NOT a casual gamers experiance, though a blast to play for those that can get in and not dropped.

my ce still hasnt arrived from gamestop, they say it is the fault of ups, i just chuckle, the blamegame starts and its a rough first day for mythic.

Posted: Sep 18th 2008 11:15PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Come on. WAR is saying why they should play over WoW. It's damn near a WoW clone. I've played both. It's a WoW clone. Mind you I can't stand WoW anymore and don't play it, but it's a WoW clone.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories