Posted: Sep 12th 2008 9:16AM (Unverified) said

Blizzard is going to copy what ever works best for their game and what subscribers want to keep them coming back.

It's been there business plan and its how they built their game by taking the best aspects of other MMO's. Their innovation was not from creating something new but attempting to improve upon it.

It's a great business plan any many gaming companies are scrambling to catch up.

I will be playing WAR because of the one aspect that WoW lacks, the feeling that I'm making a difference in the MMO world as a whole through both PvE, PvP by way of Realm vs Realm.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 10:00AM SgtBaker said

But the "making a difference" in WAR is just smoke and mirrors - you don't make permanent impact to the gameworld, you can just control it for a while before it resets.

For that really hardcore "making a difference"-feeling, try EVE - where player alliances really make difference in the game world.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 11:30AM Lethality said

Yup, I can't really see the WAR endgame having very much longevity at all.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 6:22AM (Unverified) said

Pve>pvp transfers are a slap in the face to people that got ganked constantly leveling to 60 then 70, and they are paid transferes a slap to my pocket. Wow pvp and pve are repeative, kill a boss 50 times, do av 1000 times. WoW has becoem the elitist players game , if you can dedicate majority of your life to raiding you can maybe see emd game content, and [people buying arena ratings and points ruined esport for me and many others.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 9:25AM Norvak said

I do not have any PVE chars only PVP, but it wouldnt change how I feel about WoW and WAR. Warhammer is a different game all together IMO. Ive been playing WAR for about a month now in Beta, and I have a totally different experience online then I do with WoW. The only thing that really sticks me to WoW is all the time ive spent on my chars.

I figure we will have 2-3 months of WAR before WotLK comes out. So why not try them both.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 9:27AM (Unverified) said

It is 50/50 I believe. WOW is a great game but it is very very stale now. I played it for a long time and even quit a few times too, but it is just too "blah" anymore. It is like they drained the fun out of the damn game.

I think many of the things Blizz is doing out of worry, and the stale factor of WOW. I have PvP, and always have yet the PvP in WAR is fun, and with Public Quests and such it just out-funs WOW.

I also like the fact that it is NOT Disney-looking, and it is mature and gritty. Without Warhammer there would be no Warcraft or Starcraft as both were massively "borrowed" wink wink from Games Workshop.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 11:06AM Trippin Ninja said

After playing WoW since launch I will finally be setting it down for something new. Im totally diggin' WAR and plan on subscribing. I will play WoW when the expansion comes out but I will just pick one of my 5 level 70s to level up and do some 10man content as an alt to my WAR main. I doubt I will seriously pvp in WoW ever again.

The PVE to PVP transfers are too late for me. I originally leveled on PVP and moved to a PVE server to raid but the guild eventually fell flat. So at that time I switched factions and leveled two more 70s on a pvp server. Now that I have two horde fully leveled with epic mounts I have no ambition to knock the dust off my ally warrior and warlock thats stuck on a PVE server. Not to mention I have over $250 in transfers already from moving multiple toons around. Blizz really needs to throw us a bone and let us move all our toons on a server for a fee instead of just one.

While Im on the subject of WoW trying to keep players Id like to mention that I hate that they have no benefits for veterans. I have been subscribed since I started in Nov 2004 and it would be nice to have a little something to show for that. Even something small like a title or non-combat pet. A beta invite before everyone else and their grandma gets one would be nice too. Im pretty sure damn near every mmo has vet rewards except WoW. Come on Blizz! Show your old school players some love!

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 11:23AM (Unverified) said

I don't understand why Blizzard feels that have to "own" the MMO market. They are already an extremely dominant force, that offers things nobody else can.

I almost see this as unnecessary act of desperation. Mythic has created something they are a little fearful of. I know they are a business, and they need to make money, but it's a little selfish to think they need MORE of the market.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 11:51AM Crsh said

They're Vivendi's top cash cow, need I say more?

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 12:37PM Bluefyre said

Might I suggest you never run your own business. If you think making changes to retain market share is a bad thing, your business will fail in 1 year.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 6:10PM Ayenn said

"it's a little selfish to think they need MORE of the market"

Acti-Blizz is a large corporation. the goal of large corporations is to make as much money as passable. It's not selfishness, it's corporate greed. They will do what ever they need to to take your money.

And don;t think for a second they are concerned about your desires in game play. They will only give just enough to keep your attention and not much more.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 7:00PM (Unverified) said

Um, any smart business man will tell you that staying on top is a good thing. The business world isnt like a daycare where little Timmy "needs" to share his toys with "Tommy". Competition creates better products, and thats why things need to evolve for the better. WAR should observe if WOW's stunt works or not, and learn from it. Its the evolution of business. Just think what the MMO's will be like in 10 years, hopefully much better considering that other companies will always look to blizzard on how they did things right and what they did wrong. But in any aspect, being top dog is apart of the game, sharing is a sure way to end up looking on craigslist for a new job.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 11:28AM Lethality said

Blizzard is a smart company... and they have many aces up their sleeve since they've been around so long.

They did this simply to add value to their subscribers, and offer ALL players the full value of the game. It wasn't to "keep" PvP players... it was to help keep "PvE" players by adding value.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 12:05PM (Unverified) said

Considering the fact that world PvP is virtually non-existant in WoW these days, why not allow something like this? Frankly their only argument against it was rediculous considering THEY are the ones that destroyed the purpose behind a PvP server themselves.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 12:26PM (Unverified) said

It has absolutely nothing to do with WAR. This change came after we (the EJ forums community) complained about recruitment difficulties at the endgame. Raiding guilds on PVE servers were having a horrible time trying to attract new recruits because no one from a PVP server would be willing to transfer to a PVE server and risk getting stuck there. It essentially cut your recruitment options in half.

Once the guild (and there are many, many) cannot effectively recruit, it dies and people cancel their accounts. Blizzard realized that the "increased difficulty" of leveling up on a PVP server had largely passed into myth with the advent of so much endgame content. Rampant newbie ganking is only a serious problem when there's nothing to do at endgame.

TLDR version: PVP server people wouldn't transfer to PVE servers to avoid getting stuck there. PVE guilds were dropping like flies, costing Blizzard thousands of accounts per month. This fixes the problem by allowing people to transfer anywhere to join guilds.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 10:09PM Crsh said

Cute, but naive. The many "valid" reasons to allow PvE to PvP transfers were shot down by Blizzard themselves for a long time. They had their own reasons, some of which I agreed with.

Comes Warhammer's launch, Blizzard can't put patch 3.0 live in time, let alone its own expansion. And out of the blue, PvE->PvP transfers happen, a truckload of extra beta invites are sent out, etc. Desperate measures?

I'm not convinced Blizzard is *scared* of Warhammer, they just do what they do when a hyped-up MMO comes out: they kick it in the shin. And step on its feet. And eat its cheese burger.

They don't need to be scared of them yet, as a new MMO has a lot to prove to become a threat; we all remember how well AoC went a few months ago. Hype, lots of players rush to it, and the game can't even keep them busy for 3 months; result: they flock back to WoW.

Posted: Sep 13th 2008 2:39AM (Unverified) said

Correlation != Causation

Trust me, I am right about this.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 12:56PM UndeadAreGo said

That's a little conceited to try and take the credit for the switch, especially since every forum, guild, etc. has been asking for the same thing since transfers started.

I do think that we are going to see a lot of changes coming to WOW in the next year as the result of WAR, but it only makes sense. With so many other good games available and coming up, WOW either has to fade into memory, or fight tooth and nail to kick out the competition. It'll take a while before the crown is overtaken by anyone, but it will happen someday.

Posted: Sep 12th 2008 4:41PM (Unverified) said

Smoke and mirrors?

Are you serious?

In WoW, you kill a boss. As far as anyone who isn't in that raid is concerned, he's still alive. He'll be back to you by Tuesday midnight.

In War, your actions will have consequences for the entire server in determining the balance of the realm war. Your losses and victories help determine if your ENTIRE FACTION will suffer defeat or victory.

Sure, it will reset even if you lose your capital city. But your actions DO matter to the rest of the server, if only a little bit.

Ultimately of course all MMOS are smoke and mirrors. None of it matters. But in terms of a game where your end game actions impact the game itself, WAR has WoW beat by a long mile, especially with WOTLK comes out, when 10 man guilds will be killing the same bosses as 25 man guilds, and everyone will be draped in epics whether they pvp, do heroic 5 mans, 10 mans, or 25 mans. And War doesn't have to beat EVE here; it has to beat WoW. EVE might be a great game, but most people will never find out because they'll be asleep after the first hour of mining.

Posted: Sep 13th 2008 7:28PM (Unverified) said

OK looks like Toxic agrees that WAR offers no innovation in terms of "making a difference" to the gameworld, since the only response he can offer to the claim that EVE _does_ offer such innovation is "but.. but.. WoW DOESN'T!"