Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:25PM (Unverified) said

Yikes. Sounds like they pushed this one out as early as they could, to take advantage of VWC and SLCC. Definitely does not sound ready for prime time. It does explain why the viewer team has been chomping at the bit to get some new stuff out. They must be under pressure to introduce this code intot he main viewer!

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:11PM (Unverified) said

So... download a client to enable a token to let Vivox grab your friends list. Then create another account and download another client and let it download your friends list for 10 minutes every start up. Then wait for all your friends to do all that, too. And then you'll get functionality almost as good as what you already have on Skype or MSN!

Phew! I was worried the process might be complicated or roundabout. I'm so relieved.

P.S. Pass me an ice weasel, will you?

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:13PM (Unverified) said

Note also, that the online help for SLim apparently isn't for SLim, but for Vivox Connector. It seems likely that SLim is largely a stripped down version of that software.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:18PM (Unverified) said

Bloody pointless

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:29PM (Unverified) said

I think Marianne nailed it: it's not ready, but they really really wanted to announce it at VW2008SLCC. There'll probably be a useful version sometime in the future. :) Gosh, I love the software business...

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:31PM (Unverified) said

You can actually IM somebody not on your list - enter his nick in the field on the bottom.

Oh, and TG-MG chat works, too.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:32PM (Unverified) said

We tried the ad-hoc messaging with a dozen different names. SLim said that none of those names were valid. We checked them. Several times.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:49PM (Unverified) said

Well, I shall have a try, but honestly it does sound rather terrible at this stage. Surely a lightweight client could have done this much better, and been open-source as well?

And where, perchance, is the fabled "Jabber to SL bridge" - or am I showing my age by even mentioning that?

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 5:51PM (Unverified) said

I haven't heard mention of the Jabber-IM bridge since the beginning of 2006.

On the whole, unless you're using voice, SLeek seems to do all of this rather better.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 6:32PM (Unverified) said

I was expecting something similar to sleek, SLMessenger, Second Messenger or even SLIM (a product very similar to Second Messenger/SLMessenger that was available from SLExchange over a year ago but whose developer left SL due to health reasons) which all have the advantage of not requiring either you or the people you want to talk to running a special version of the SL client or creating a third party user account (I note that you can't use SLim to talk to someone not also using SLim or the SLim enabled viewer, but does the person who talk to also need to create a SLim account as well?)

I'm also a little wary about this SLim enabled client as it seems to be sending far more account information (e.g. friends lists) to a third party outside of LL - at least until LL releases the source code and we can see what it is up to!

Matthew

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 6:20PM (Unverified) said

Well, after the special viewer sat there for ten minutes before even popping up a window, leading me to force quit it twice, and after logging in and turning voice on for a little while, and then trying to sign up for an account and having Javascript popups telling me I hadn't put in a valid email address when I had, and then finally ticking and unticking boxes enough that it said I had signed up - or at least, that it had changed my options - and then trying the SLim client itself (a horrible-looking piece of work) and it telling me via error boxes including error numbers! that I had the wrong credentials, and then it telling me that it didn't even recognise my email address...

...I have given up. This really _is_ rubbish, I'm sorry. A beta is one thing, something apparently pre-alpha is quite another. I hope that LL have not paid Vivox any actual money for this.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 10:22PM (Unverified) said

BREAKING NEWS!

Vivox is opening it's client and server code and releasing APIs etc... The curmudgeonliness of the SLim client may be a thing of the past once clever folk get their hands on it.

The move to opensourcing may explain why the system is such a pain to use currently, as allowing an opensource client/server framework would need more security handshaking to ensure the purity of it's precious bodily fluids than a closed system.

This may well be a wonderful move as it would allow voice and comms interoperability between open grid projects and SL main.

Pity about the demo tho:P

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 8:45PM (Unverified) said

They Came. They Saw. They Ran Away. The http://secondlife.com/SLim/ URL was dead when I tried it. I guess they just wanted to say it got out then pulled it.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 8:47PM Otenth said

And now http://secondlife.com/SLim/ is gone. Good riddance. I thought it said (a few hours ago, when I downloaded the whole shebang at work) that voice did not yet work. FAIL. Of course, none of the instructions on the page matched what actually happened when I ran the two apps.

I was able to IM someone not on my friends list, who may have been in SLim at the time. This was before my friends list loaded. I was later able to IM with an alt (on my friends list) running the trunk viewer on the same machine. But neither SLim nor the trunk showed correct presence, and it took a couple tries for the IM to go through. I had a successful conversation with me once it went through, however.

I also went to the help menu and was sent to the Vivox Connector help pages, which were of no help, of course.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 9:02PM (Unverified) said

I thought that one of the main benefits of SLim was that it was a lightwieight client that could be utilised without having the process-hogging overhead of an SL viewer running - doesn't sound to be the case unless I read things wrong.

You still have to be logged into SL to use it ? Sort of defeats the purpose if so.

Posted: Sep 4th 2008 8:15AM (Unverified) said

Well, if it worked, at all, it looks as though it would be teh sux0r. But, it doesn't. Didn't like my email, my password, never sent an update, and so far as I can tell, simply does not work.

Way to co-brand your rep, LL! Good luck there, bunky, yer gonna need it.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 9:21PM (Unverified) said

Looks like someone at LL saw this article and realized they left the barn doors unlocked. The SLim URL redirects to the homepage (as others have seen), and now we get a nice blog post:

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 11:10PM (Unverified) said

Doh! I finally get home only to be redirected to the second life home page. I wanted to play!

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 11:32PM (Unverified) said

"you are out in the cold darkness. And then the ice-weasels come" is the new "Eaten by a grue"!

Posted: Sep 4th 2008 11:14AM (Unverified) said

You need to understand, this is not really an IM to SL grid bridge. It is essentially a separate IM network and client that just so happens to pipe the chat through the viewer UI, that's why the people you want to talk to also have to have the new firstlook viewer. This is something that LL easily could have added to the viewer without Vivox, they could have just integrated open source Jabber code into the viewer and had you put in your GTalk or Jabber credentials into the preferences. I guess that it seemed like a quick feature win that didn't require LL to do much work to get out the door.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014