Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 7:13PM wjowski said

And as always SOE is five years behind everyone else.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 7:33PM Kamokazi said

If you're referring to the voice chat, quite a few major MMOs do not have it. If you're referring to the coin weight, it was a conscious decision to keep it in, and I'm kind of sad it's gone (even though I haven't played in years).

Although I didn't agree at the time, some of my best memories are from the overly time-consuming aspects of EQ. Camping Stormfeather for 40 hours straight? Awesome. Hitting 65 after 3 years and 1 level cap increase? Epic. Getting the Shattered Emerald of Corruption after 2 years and uncounted PoH runs? Legendary.

Coin weight reminds me of selling some of my first valuable items in East Commons. Getting cash from players with higher STR that didn't bother them, but slowed me to a crawl...hehe. Kind of annoying and amusing all at once, going to the FP bank at half walk speed.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 8:54PM (Unverified) said

The weight change is too bad; on Rallos Zek I would carry as much copper as I could, and upon death and subsequent looting, whoever picked up my stuff would almost always be immediately encumbered and thus an easy target for whoever else was around.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 11:31PM (Unverified) said

That is hilarious that EQ still had weighted money. One of the worst things about that game was taking your bank toon out of the bazaar only to realize you could not move without a SOE! Also I remember one time my friend had so much money on him he took a step outside the bazaar and when he went down one stair he died. Funny stuff, still can't believe people still play that game.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 11:57PM Teiraa said

Weighted coins are a little thing that add to immersion. Sad that they are gone. I actually wish more games had this feature (but I do also realize that many players prefer the easy route over immersion).

Posted: Sep 4th 2008 11:46AM (Unverified) said

When you think a game couldn't possible go more downhill, they strip even more stuff from it that made it what it was.

Posted: Sep 4th 2008 1:10PM wjowski said

Weighted coins was a pointless, frustrating time-waster from a game renowned for it's pointless, frustrating time-wasters. I'm glad it's gone and look forward to the day when other such EQesque conventions get the stake through the heart they so richly deserve.

Posted: Sep 4th 2008 12:29PM ymiris said

It's funny things like the weight of coin and the death penalty made me leave EQ after 2 years, but now it's fond memories and wishing the newer MMO's would make death more meaningful.