Posted: Aug 27th 2008 8:14AM (Unverified) said

Well, in regular RPG-games I almost ALWAYS end up playing a bad guy, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he ends up being an orc, or something like that - it mostly means that I'm a human (or at least a human-like) character who is just bone-fide EVIL.

So that actually also answers the other question - I cannot plat a character that hasn't at least a little human resemblance - that's why I couldn't play a Greenskin in Warhammer for example.

And to answer the last question - in MMO's I've always ended up playing for the good side - maybe because I deep down inside want to be able to identify myself with the character.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 8:16AM (Unverified) said

Oh, I actually mean I almost always end up playing humans in MMO's, because I want to be able to identify myself with them - not because it's the good side! Damn...

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 8:41AM (Unverified) said

I almost always play on the side of light and honor. Heh. I always start a bad buy but never get into it. WAR has me thinking differently. I can't wait to try out some of the destruction classes.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 8:48AM (Unverified) said

I'm mostly a goodie I'm afraid to say and although I have had my share of bad chars almost all of them outside of one or two CoV villains have gotten shelved.

One of the big motivators there is that everyone else I play with leans toward goodliness (hey, it's a word!). Started out as an undead shadowpriest in WoW's beta, everyone went alliance at launch. Was spreading teh evil in Freeport long before friends decided to roll in Kelethin. And so on.

Pretty I can't call any of my characters though, so at least I've got that. Or.. haven't got that either.. /cry

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 9:01AM (Unverified) said

I usually play a good guy human because it fits my RSI better (Matrix reference ;) ). But then it's really annoying hearing about how only kids play good.

If in one of these games the only way to be a human was to be on the evil side I think I'd be a little more challenged.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 9:18AM (Unverified) said

I always like to play the most inhuman thing I can. That doesn't always mean evil however. (Tauren for instance) I'm a human in real life. Why pay a monthly fee to be what I already am? I can't wait to roll my Black Orc in WAR. WAAAGH!!

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 9:18AM Heraclea said

I wish it were possible to play evil - or more precisely, *chaotic* - characters. Whether you are "good" and pretty or "evil" and ugly, just about every game turns you into an errand runner for various authorities. Good or evil, you're all workin' for The Man.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 9:43AM (Unverified) said

Very, very rarely do I play a human. It's a chore to be one in real life most of the time, why would I want to continue that? As to good/evil, my character is usually a bit more neutral and I tend to play classes that are close to nature (druid or shaman or variations).

For WAR, when/if I play it, definitely going to dark elf caster class. I did look at the Bright Wizard class but it sounds incredibly dull and besides that, I'm ready to move to the dark side anyway. Have to still be pretty though, definitely. :p

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 9:57AM (Unverified) said

As most posters noted above, I'm also leaned to the good side of the universe. I'm a nice guy in RL and I find it easier to identify with my character and being nicer to players all around.

However, I do enjoy PVP and can't stand watching a Horde (of my level) charaacter strolling through my alliance plains.

On the human note, I usually don't play humans; most of the time, I'm a dwarf or an elf or something completely different than a human, but good and beautiful.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 10:56AM (Unverified) said

I usually play a dwarf so I end up on the "good" side more often than not. My guild also usually chooses the good usually but just because we choose the good side doesn't mean we won't cut your head off if you get in our way:)

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 10:27AM (Unverified) said

I am inclined to playing the "good characters" more but not necessarily the humans. In Fable I played the evil line while in NWN2 I played every race except the humans. In GW, all characters are humans so the choice is irrelevent and in WOW I played a dwarf.

As for the importance of the characters being "pretty," for me it is a question of how cool they look. I find that in war, the Chosen and DOK look much cooler than the other classes. The Highelves look like preaching dolls with their long hats!

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 10:20AM Jeromai said

I play uglies! In the cool monster vein, that is, not Tauren female sort of ugly. :)

The scarred, the huge, the misshapen, the green, the ones encased in mech armor, the ones with fangs or fur, the freaks.

They're not evil, they're just...misunderstood.

Of course, they'll all say that, be they the ones with a heart of gold, or the ones who'll say anything to cut someone's liver out and eat it.

Humans are just so visually uninteresting in a game. Plenty more variety out there in real life.

Monstrous outside, human inside is so much more fun. (Let's not forget humans are capable of both great good and great evil.)

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 10:35AM hundred said

I am also with the others that NEVER play humans in MMO's. mostly for the same reasons too. I have to be a human every day in real life and i'd rather get into the mindset of some weird race with their own made up lore instead.

traditionally i've played with the good guys too just because i find it taxing to always be thinking in evil ways. with WAR it may be different though. It brings up another good question, will you pick your character based on race, or on the class you want to play. i'm thinking i may break from my traditional good guy character because i'm thinking i want to play a squig herder.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 10:40AM (Unverified) said

I play a good human in real life. So when it comes to gaming I look for the bad.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 9:23PM (Unverified) said

Almost always play short races.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 11:45AM Anatidae said

Ack! Michael! What a dirty trick! Throwing a poll out there to see if you can win the bet!

I still think WAR is going to draw in more Destruction players. I don't think it will be the 2:1 ratio others are predicting, but I still think that it will be close to 1.5:1.

To answer your question - I usually play the side that is least chosen. I love being an underdog. Goes with classes too. That or I will find a class that is a big challenge.

Like in EQ I played a dark elf enchanter, kept the wood elf illusion on me at ALL times and lived with them. Of course, every now and then my gig would be up and since spells don't work on the boat that made it hard to travel discreetly. Still, it was a fun thing to do.

For WAR, I had a lot of fun with all the classes, but I really liked the Black Orc. The way you can protect party members is really cool. I don't think most tanks in the beta really tried to be a true protector over DPS. I did and still I ranked very high in PQs. I didn't get as many kills in Scenarios but our team won every time. It is almost like being a healer in the action.

My backup is a Rune Priest. Again, it was fun to help my fellow dwarves and I liked how many of my healing spells were instant casts so I could heal on the move. Not that much DPS at all, but I did find with patience I could take down a target if I had enough time and they were sloppy players in the least.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 12:04PM (Unverified) said

In my case while playing wow, I play whit the good guys... FOR THE HORDE!!

...the alliance are the evil.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 7:35AM lpetersson said

Same here.

I like the way WoW has turned the usual good/evil divide upside down and made the Orcs/Trolls/Minotaurs the good guys and the Humans/Dwarfs/Gnomes the bad guys...

I play Horde in WoW as I tend to prefer to be the good guys...

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 12:06PM FluxDF said

Good guys almost exclusively.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 12:12PM Durinthal said

I like gray characters, the ones that regularly do things both noble and cruel. Unfortunately, it's hard to do in most MMOGs these days since everyone's usually split down a party line like the US Congress. Again, I'll have to refer to MUDs for inspiration.

My favorite character that I've played was a thief that very strongly supported loyalty to and honor of the (thieves') guild, often silencing those that revealed trade secrets. He never stole from healers, though, and often slipped them an extra gold or two without them noticing.