Posted: Aug 27th 2008 11:06AM Haggs said

Wasn't it City of Heroes who first introduced this system to the MMO industry?

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 11:22AM (Unverified) said

Actually in AoC the system works the other way round, high level players can apprentice lower level player to bring them up to a higher level.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 11:33AM (Unverified) said

Yes, Haggs, to my knowledge Co* had the sidekick/lackey system first. It also has the benefactor/malefactor system that allows the higher level player to drop their level down and continue adventuring.

Still, those systems are incredibly valuable regardless of which game they're found in. I do wish Co* received recognition for it though.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 11:34AM Anatidae said

Haggs,

Yes, City of Heroes has this years ago and it is great. It works both ways, you can lower your level to match your friends or you can raise his level to match yours.

EVERY game that has leveling should do this. I can always play with friends in CoX. Really, if CoX just had less boring zones and more compelling adventures, I would be hard pressed to play any other game.

Man, I would LOVE to see a blend between CoX and WAR. That would be a friggen awesome game.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 12:03PM FluxDF said

I thought there was already a similar system in place called "Mentor"?

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 3:06PM Mystal said

FFXI already HAS (or at least HAD) a system like this. If you recruit a friend you both get a special silly looking hat. If you're both wearing your silly hat, the higher level character is temporarily de leveled so he can group with his recruited friend.

I wonder what's different about this version of the program other than S-E just attempting to get their name into the press?

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 7:32PM fanguad said

I'm a FFXI player, and this is one of the things that has bugged me from day one. I have a friend who got me into the game, but we could never really play together because by the time I joined, he was 10 levels higher than me. The Mandragora Hat thing that Iconic mentioned was cool, but only available under very specific circumstances - and you couldn't get one to play with just anyone either.

Honestly, I was starting to get bored with FFXI, but this might revive the game for me. Some of the most fun I had was in the mid-levels, but you can't stay there forever. Combine that with playing with my friends at any level, and this is a definite winner.

Posted: Sep 13th 2008 6:55PM (Unverified) said

lol a little bit more playable for the masses even though people in japan fiend this thing and many people like it better than WoW because it has better graphics, cooler jobs and races and you can run all of your jobs on one character for a nice variety. Its not mostly easy as shit like WoW but it is a very fun game game if you have the patience to get into it. I must admit the game isnt as fun now since its like 6 years old and alot of people left the game just last year.

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale