So those of you headed for Hotlanta for four days of geeky fun, fire up your printer, grab a cup of coffee and get those highlighters. (Or just bookmark us on your Blackberry, general smartphone, or iPhone!) We're going to run down a listing of the events on the MMOG track for this year so you have the most up-to-the-minute schedule information available. All you have to do is join us after the break for a full run-down of panels. Also be sure to check both this post (and the comments, we're sure) for some great tips and tricks from Dragon*Con veterans on how to make the most of your D*C 2008 experience.
First things first, we'll start off with a quick note. For those of you who have never attended Dragon*Con, be prepared; Dragon*Con is enormous. With record crowds of well over 40,000 attendees last year, the organizers have had to expand into a fourth hotel just to accommodate all the new guests and panels planned for this year's event. There's very little sign of it stopping its forward momentum anytime soon, either. That said, here are some basic tips that will save you a lot of hassle in your planning for Dragon*Con
- Make sure to keep a snack and a bottle of water with you at all times. Panel lines will often be long. (Pro tip: keep the empty bottle and refill. There are water fountains in several locations.)
- Pre-print some cards with your name/email address/website on them. You will inevitably meet cool people who will want to know how to get a hold of you.
- You need sensible shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking. We can't stress this enough, especially with panels spread between four hotels this year.
- Bring either a geeky costume or a camera with lots of cards/film for pictures -- or both! Trust us, you'll be glad you did. Oh, and don't forget a power strip. There are never enough outlets in your hotel room.
- Look at the overall Pocket Planner for this year and try to map out what you absolutely must do. Realize that short of cloning yourself several times, you will not get to everything. However, If you plan well, you can generally hit many of your "must see" events.
- Interested in meeting people? Be sure to check the Party listing for some of the open-door parties!
- Not sure what types of hotels, restaurants, parking and the like are in the area? We recommend checking out this handy listing of guides on the Dragon*Con community. (Also a good place to meet fellow con-attendees if you're new.)
- Looking for crash space? Check with the fine folks over at Dragon*Con Rooms.
- Forget something and don't want to pay hotel prices for it? Want some take-out food, but don't want to go get it? Check out the insider's secret weapon, Zifty. (Note: they don't run after midnight, and they don't deliver alcohol.)
- Be prepared for the schedule to change at a moment's notice. This always happens. We will do our absolute best to note any MMO track changes here, so be sure to bookmark this post!