Posted: Aug 25th 2008 8:39PM (Unverified) said

Biggest over-reaction in game dev ever.

People can still put that work on their resume, they can still put Mythic as references. No HR at games studios actually sit there and read credits to see if someone's telling the truth.

I'm sure it's all about the context in why they left etc anyway - not just "you weren't on the team when we shipped the game".

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 9:19PM (Unverified) said

QQ much?

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 8:56PM (Unverified) said

I think she might work for Blizzard. >_>;

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 9:54PM (Unverified) said

Ok this is bad its indeed disrespectful to not credit all those who worked on Warhammer Online. It does not really mater of the gamers read it or not. Like if they do not give everyone credit they take credit for someone else work!

This is the start of the bad news Mythic.

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 9:58PM (Unverified) said

Actually, she works for 38 Studios.

And she is right on point.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 12:49AM (Unverified) said

Agreed, I hope this moves the IGDA to set an industry standard where everyone is credited.

Fact is, when you apply to a lot of these game industry jobs it is one of their requirements that you had worked on at least X amount of AAA games, and sometimes even credited in those games. I can see how not being credited would be pretty aggravating.

Whether they left the team or not is irrelevant, and you shouldn't look down upon them for leaving either. Life situations change, new opportunities crop up,etc. You can't fault someone for making a decision like that with their life, which seems to be the opposite of the tone Mark's interview with MTV last week.

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 10:09PM (Unverified) said

It definitely looks shady to be cutting people from the credits. I've never gone job hunting with a game developer, but I'd think maybe if you claim you worked on something this high profile they might try to double-check that you're not making it up. This almost sounds like they're trying to get even with people who left the project.

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 11:33PM Nadril said

I haven't even paid any attention to this whole fiasco, who exactly did they leave off?

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 11:50PM (Unverified) said

Why look, Dass posting more WAR hate. I'm shocked. :P

It isn't cool what Mythic is doing. They should add a credit area for people who didn't stay until finish, call it deserters. And put how long they worked on stuff.

Maybe they should do that with everyone, show how many hours they worked on the game.

*sigh* Over-reaction. So many of us don't get the credit we deserve at our jobs. Join the rest of the world.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 12:52AM Anatidae said

I work in video production and we NEVER get to put our names on our pieces. Imagine if every commercial you watched on TV had a credit line at the end, haha.

So, should Mythic credit the individuals who did the print marketing for the game? How about the people who work for the ISP that will host the thing? Someone had to make those people food, lets make sure to credit them too!

Credits are nice and all - true. But they are a fabrication of the movie industry where an actor's fragile ego needs boosting least they fall apart like broken glass (Tom Cruise anyone?)

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 1:16AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Well I wouldn't give credit to someone for walking out on me during a vital part of the production of something. If some said "Hey This doesn't look like its going well I quit" I would leave them out of anything involving credit. In all likely hood these people didn't even do all that much and left and got angry because they didn't get credit for what ever they have done.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 3:08AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for sharing with the rest of the group, Magnus.

They probably worked their ass off 12h/day, and they may have got a job elsewhere and didn't leave because the game wasn't doing well - obviously it was doing very well. They deserve the acknowledgement. Mythic seems very bitter they left and of course it's bad for the team, but maybe they didn't do enough for the developers and brought it upon themselves. The management create the work environment for the developers. Think about it.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 8:55AM (Unverified) said

Well, I guess we all speculate too much over news. Can we really have any serious conclusions without word from some of the uncredited employees?
I work with mobile games and most of the team is uncredited in this industry (I got credited only once in my life =P).

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 10:45AM (Unverified) said

IGDA is right to make this assertion. It is unprofessional not to give full credit in some form. People deserve credit for their work. How is this debatable?

We do not know the details but if someone worked on a project they deserve credit. It is not only poor form to deny those efforts but potentially criminal as Mythic would be taking credit for work that is not theirs.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 10:54AM Nadril said

The problem with this statement is we don't know the entire story. We don't know WHAT those people worked on, for all we know the people who haven't been mentioned may have not had any of the material they worked on actually put into the game.

Again I don't think we know enough to be pointing fingers here. I think it's being blown way out of proportion.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 7:15PM (Unverified) said

ALSO, it's not like this is the first time this has ever happened? Does anyone really believe that Mythic is the only company ever to not credit people who weren't there throughout the entirety of the project? Or that WAR was the first game with this issue? To try and crucify Mythic for this is absurd.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 11:10AM (Unverified) said

Idle speculation is idle...

1 - We don't know the full details. It could be there were hard-working contributers that left two months ago that didn't get credit, or it could be a couple of guys that spent half the day in the breakroom and left six months into the development pipeline. Odds are a little from collumn A and a little from collumn B.

2 - It may be poor form, but it's definately not criminal. In the software industry (any part of the software industry, not just gaming) you sign an employment agreement up front that says all work you do is 100% the property of the company you do it for. As a developer/coder you don't own any of that work, you get a paycheck and that's it.

I'm lead to understand that this is pretty common in the games industry. Considering you've got projects that last 3-5 years, that's a very long time with a massive staff list to keep track of. People would come and go on a project that long, it's just a fact of life. There's definately a line to be drawn or the credit list would be insane (joe blow worked on one program for three weeks and then left - does he get full credit?). I kind of like the idea posted above about putting in a list of "deserters" along with how long they were on the project, but that's definately in a perfect world. In the real world you've got people trying to do things like clean up code, add last minute polish, push PR events, and everything else at the last minute. I doubt the credit list exactly has top billing on the 'to-do' list.

Is it right? No, not necessarily - it really depends on the circumstances which we've already established just can't be known by us. We could be correct in saying that there's some shadiness going on. Or, Ms MacLean might be a tad overzealous. We simply don't know.

I doubt this is anything new though, and it could simply be that the industry's workers are tired of not getting credit for their efforts. They might have chosen Mythic as their line in the sand, or maybe Mythic took it to another level.

Too many questions, not enough details or answers.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 11:18AM Solaxo said

While I am all for getting credit where credit is due, I see the point of Mythic's standpoint...it helps drive team focus, and honor those that stayed committed to this project.

I understand though why people might be stiffed to not see some credit to their work....but I am assuming that they still got a paycheck, and can add this work to their resumes.

Could be worse :P

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 3:16AM (Unverified) said

I noticed that IGDA was spelled IDGA twice here. Am i missing something? Do I win something for pointing this out?

But yes, having worked for a company as a programmer during certain time frames, i believe, means more than the actual credits anyway.

And even so, the people you have worked for is not what matters, it's what you can do for the company you are applying to that matters.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly