Posted: Aug 25th 2008 11:50PM (Unverified) said

Brian is so wrong. He obviously also doesn't know his history.

I've talked to at least five people who aren't in the Beta and interested in WAR, most are more casual, all interested in Order, some because their girlfriends wouldn't want to play Destruction.

Empire will by far be the most popular, and Order will be at least even with Destruction in three months, if not more popular on some servers.

And as someone who has played, I've seen things happen both ways, Destruction kicking Order butt, and Order kicking Destruction butt. It just depended on what server I was on.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 1:17AM (Unverified) said

Couple of things... First off, I played order in preview weekend, and though I like destruction better, and will roll there to be with my friends, I found the order classes to be more enjoyable overall. I played a shadow warrior and they are godly... Hit lvl 20(w/ mount and everything) in preview weekend.

We did a lot of Open RVR(as opposed to scenarios) and I can honestly say that with the exception of one encounter with one guild Order rolled chaos every time that I saw. Even PUGS were that good. You had the T2 human warcamp right by the T2 chaos warcamp and there was often a pitched battle right in between the 2, cause anyone who died respawned right by the battle...

I am curious how people know the pop from preview weekend, since /count didn't work... but in general order FELT more populous...

As for lag.. please also remember that this is beta and they have a huge amount of debugging and metrics running behind the scenes on your client... the release client will be lighter. That being said I never had any lag from RVR...

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 1:20AM (Unverified) said

Also, regarding the question of how the population imbalance affects it... In closed beta I played on 2 servers, both with approximately the same ratio... I played one on each side. And the only difference I found was that order had scenarios popping more often. Although even for destruction the wait was never too long.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 1:36AM (Unverified) said

A few comments on a lot of new questions that have arisen, or questions I think I can answer better. First, let me answer the lag debate - their is none. Ever. I have been in massive keep battles with multiple warbands (for WoW-heads, read "Raids") on both sides. These were a blast, and if there was ANY lag, I sure didn't notice it and it didn't affect me and my constant barrage of aoe bombs.

As for the other big debate: there is no question in my mind that destruction will out-populate the servers on average, but the important key is the affect this has on gameplay. I won't lie - it will have an affect - but one that is self-balancing. You see, I stopped playing my destruction class and rolled an order class, and I never looked back. The reason: I was able to jump into rvr scenarios that much quicker, was able to level renown (which is something few have talked about) MUCH faster with order as a result, and was able to afford better gear much sooner.

By the way, Keep battles are an absolute blast. I have not been one for pvp, but this game has me hooked. A small band can go a long way in defending a keep from a large invading force, and there are always 6 keeps at each tier from which to choose to attack (and jumping between zones is a breeze). Notably, you will be amazed at how easy it is to find and join a group to take or defend a keep on either side.

As for balance, I haven't seen any issues yet. I'll admit, when I first fired up the game I thought I saw glaring imbalance issues. But since then I have played nearly every class on both sides of the fence - the characters and their progression are often almost identical. I had a bright wizard and a sorceress - they're the same character, progressing in almost exactly the same way. If anything my sorceress had an advantage in how difficult it was to tell where that massive damage was coming from. In 99.9% of the cases of supposed imbalance, the "overpowered" characters were people that had acquired the "rrX" gear (renown rank X) - the best gear for their level - and chose wisely (you have some options for increasing key attributes - more damage, hp, or toughness). By choosing toughness, pvp players stay in combat longer and often seem nigh impervious to damage. Healers, such as Rune Priests are exceptionally hard to put down. This is true of both sides, but because there seem to be more destro players, there seem to be more complaints about order being overpowered.

I hope I don't sound like a fanboy here (especially an Order fanboy, as I myself was really hoping to roll a Chaos Warrior). I typically don't like pvp, and all I kept hearing about was how this game was pvp-centric. I actually was pulling for Age of Conan to be the mmo of the year. For better or for worse, though, this game has made me a believer. I have noticed a tendancy lately with reviews to focus on a very small portion of the game and miss out on a lot of important facts. This is not due to lack of diligence on their part, but the short cycle of play most previewers have been given. Keep that in mind - we've only seen a small slice of the game, but it's still managed to amaze.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 9:45AM (Unverified) said

Hate to say it but he's right, Destro will rule the day. However I think alot of people who initially went Horde in WoW are going to go Order in WAR.

I like Destro chars more, i like the look more, I like the mechanic more. However most of the vet players don't like going with the masses. We'd rather be outnumbered and still win. At least that is what my group is doing....oh how I will miss my greenskin.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 10:20AM Damn Dirty Ape said

I think your group may be acting a bit hasty in choosing order because it will have the lower population.

In fact, the more I think it over the more I would be willing to make a fun bet with someone that 6 months from launch order would outnumber destruction.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 10:30AM (Unverified) said

Perhaps Pirate. I think Destro might rule the game for good to be honest. Once people start on a server they can't switch which means they'd have to either delete their char or switch servers.

Plus all the pepes who were noobs to MMO's when WOW came out will remember that the experienced player went baddy and ruled pvp initially and do that. Just my feeling. I haven't played a goody in an MMO in a while anyway so I'm good with it.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 11:33AM (Unverified) said

these race balance discussions are humorous to say the least.

it's the same thing everywhere. destro people don't want to admit that their side is beyond overpopulated so they spin tales of this person, that game, all the sites are wrong, etc.

being in beta from early stages and visiting the same sites as everyone else i can tell you that in closed beta order is always totally outnumbered. on every site destro guilds recruitment threads outnumber order by at least 4-1 or more. every time more people get into beta destro numbers rise.

but the people who want to play destro in final always have excuses. the bottom line is nothing is going to change on release. order will be completely outnumbered all the time, in every area. this is the way it is, this is the way it will be, this is what the FACTS dictate to be the case.

you can spin it any way you want but there is not going to be a complete role reversal come release so stop deluding people so you can feel better about playing for the zerg.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 4:36PM Damn Dirty Ape said

Deluding people? I'm not sure if you were replying to me or not, but since I am the one who said order would have the highest population I may as well reply.

First of all, why so serious? You seem pretty spun up about it already. It's a serious question because you seem like a beta tester, and you seem awfully mad (or defensive) about the population stuff already and I would be curious to hear why. Has it been a big problem?

Secondly, I have yet to play the game at all and haven't picked a side or class yet. Currently I am strongly considering Black Orc, Ironbreaker, Squig Herder, and Sword Master. What I play will largely be dependent on whatever my friends decide to play, and none of them are in the beta either.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 1:35PM (Unverified) said

One factor that some people are missing is overall faction class/race/gender availability. The fact that there are limitations based on lore is cool, I can certainly appreciate what they were going for.

With greenskins not really having a gender but basically appearing to be male, Chaos limiting class options to 2 for females leaving Dark elves as the primarily female race option but not allowing one of the key roles to be played by them by not having a tanking class they are pushing female players towards Order.

If a female wants to paly a tank, either casually or as a main, and wants the benefit of drawing on thier existing toons for gear/monetary support, then they will naturally tend towards order unless they are willing to play a male toon.

Now the ratio of female to male gamers is fairly low, it is not low enough to make this an inconsequential factor and could skew the numbers towards Order for the simple fact of gender/Class role exclusion.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014