Posted: Aug 24th 2008 8:43AM (Unverified) said

This probably won't be a popular response but...Only if the puzzles are simple. For me, moving forward and seeing what's around the next corner is the fun part. If a puzzle stops me up too long I find it annoying. If I want challenging puzzles I would get a puzzle game. So, a simple challenge is fine because it makes me feel like I've ticked off another thing and lets me be on my way.

Posted: Aug 24th 2008 10:05AM (Unverified) said

I don't see why not, it works for D&DO. As long as they are the more action type puzzles and not the adventure game style puzzles.
The trick would be there would have to a lot of this type of content and extremely variable to keep from being repetitive and predictable. Are MMORPG devs up for that sort of thing? IMHO, no. They can't get past "kill 10 rats" as a standard for "quest" yet.

AoC, not so sure whats going to "save the day" for them.

Posted: Aug 24th 2008 10:14AM (Unverified) said

I loved the traps/puzzles in DDO. The problem, hinted at in the original post, was that since I and my adventuring partner tend to play casually, we found it difficult to group with people who had not done a dungeon before; if we did then nothing was surprise and the enjoyment of figuring out the traps/puzzles was lost. This was especially true of DDO, I think, given the lack of content which led to people repeating dungeons a lot (and the fact that many dungeons couldn't be done with just the two of us).

Posted: Aug 24th 2008 11:17AM (Unverified) said

I like the fights themselves to be the puzzle. There are some highly successful MMO's out there where the majority of their boss fights are just high mitigation, high hitpoint dull endurance fights.

If there's a puzzle, let it be something you have to do during a fight. Like make the snake's eye something you have to split up to do, having to shoot the eye but force a tank to be at the boss to take advantage of action.

Posted: Aug 24th 2008 11:19AM (Unverified) said

The previous comments hit the nail on the head for me.

I love puzzles but when I want to hunt or dungeon crawl I'd rather not spend extra time trying to figure out how to get back to killing.

How about we leave the puzzles for questlines and not hunting?

Posted: Aug 24th 2008 2:04PM wjowski said

Some Real Difficulty'd be a nice change of pace for MMOs, I think.

Posted: Aug 24th 2008 6:12PM (Unverified) said

Sort of depends for me. I like me a good boss fight puzzle as mentioned above, and the traps in the AoC video actually looked sort of like they "fit" (ie didn't break immersion, though I wonder what you're going to do without a ranger), so then I'm all for it. The use of them to spice things up should be somewhat moderated for me to enjoy them though, I'm not playing a puzzle game after all.

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 6:02AM (Unverified) said

Puzzles in MMOs really just don't work unless you've got randomised dungeons, and only diablo does that.

Traps on the other hand, are a fantastic idea, and i've seen it done in many an instance. I
t helps keep everyone awake on their toes and not turn it into a complete tank and spank snoreathon.
You would probably find the quality of pug groups increase too!

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 7:28AM (Unverified) said

Unless the puzzle contains some kind of random element, the re-playability of the content becomes boring. If one person posts the solution, the majority of the people that cba, simply skip over it. For puzzles to be successful in an MMO, they must contain random elements.

Traps are awesome.

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 8:51AM (Unverified) said

The problem is people view leveling as a grind. Its a means to an end. Not an experience in it self. Even though puzzles and pitfalls could be a lot of fun I think most people would just get annoyed.

Posted: Aug 26th 2008 12:48AM cray said

I'll second Crimson Starfire's comment that puzzles need to be random for it to be worth doing. Traps are good too, and there can never be enough of these as it helps keep gamers on their proverbial toes.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014