Posted: Aug 21st 2008 12:52PM J Brad Hicks said

This is character customization? Oh, good, just what the MMO industry was breathlessly waiting for: yet another game in which your character looks exactly like every other character of the same class with the same equipment. Congratulations, you've managed to come up with the first Warhammer game, in the entire history of this intellectual property, where you can't customize your own figures.

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 1:21PM (Unverified) said

Come on Massively, don't wuss out now. We want videos of every class, should at least fill another week of "exclusive preview content".

Oh btw, in case you still cover other MMOs as well, there's a certain other trailer out.

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 1:20PM (Unverified) said

These videos demonstrate character "Creation"... a level 1 character. I agree the creation process has a low amount of customization compared to some other games out there, but your face, eyes, hair, etc... are only a piece of the character "Customization" process.

1) Mythic has created 24 unique armor sets for each class, as well as random pieces to go alongside those.
2) They also have an armor dye system in place to help you appear different.
3) And they also have a trophy system, where you slowly unlock the abilityt to wear up to 5 trophies on your person across 18 or so possible slots. Trophies give no bonuses and are won by completing various objectives, or being a master crafter, or whatever.

So even if 2 Bright Wizards are standing next to each, and just happen to have the exact same armor on, one might have dyed their armor green with red highlights, where the one next to him might have orange armor with blue highlights. And then they'll each likely have a completely different set of trophies on display in entirely different slots on their person. Guild hearldry also appears on some of your armor pieces (and on mounts) so that will help further differentiate characters.

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 1:38PM (Unverified) said

maybe you guys didnt notice but theyre just hitting the random button. and also im sure your clothes change quickly in the game thats just starting garb. dont throw yourselves off of the bridge just yet guys, the end of the world IS NOT nigh...

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 2:53PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, but ideally I would be able to create a character to my LIKING, or even my likeness, to be really able to identify with that toon. Some might want it to look the way they think would be cool or whatever. I definitely dont want him to look like 50 others.
E.g, I have a scar on my cheek (in RL), sure seems fit for a game like this as well, dont you think? I would also like and option for body type too (not everyone needs to look like a reserve Arnold Schwarzenegger, you know (e.g. maybe I want a hunchbackish and really thin and mean looking mage, you know...).
Ideally I would have the option to add piercings, tattoos (I do have those in RL) and other stuff (and from what I have seen and know this would be fitting quite well into this world as well. Some classes seem to have some options but most have way to little and none has enogh.
The way it is now it is only a very, very small improvement over WOW and from what I can see even a step back from AOC, or LOTRO. And it might sound strange, but I do RP and so to me it is important to be able to have my character the way I want him to be and that is most likely not the way 1 million others think is cool.
So, all I can say is, that there is yet another disappointment about WAR.

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 3:31PM (Unverified) said

How come my post is not showing up anymore?
Anyway, short summary of what I said:
Character creation in WAR has way to little options. Another disappointment.
To bad, I was hoping for (and actually expecting from a game coming out in 2008) that it would have a lot more options. And for all the fanboys out there, I am NOT talking about clothing here, but face, body type, piercings, tattoos, hair, scars...

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 4:47PM (Unverified) said

Deal with it! Because we don't have all the extra crap like how much your eyes slant and how big your nose is. We can have epic 100+ rvr battles with little to no slowdown.

They made the right choice.

Posted: Aug 27th 2008 10:38PM (Unverified) said

yah like Xolis said you are asking them to have this game render millions of possible character features at the same time...first off if its too customizable no computer on the market today would even run the game let alone the load it will put on the server..so sorry people...you gotta deal with some moderation lol

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 9:02PM (Unverified) said

No, you are the one to deal with people complaining about the lack of substance, because that is what it is!And adding a few more bits here and there would not cost that much. 6 bits make for 64 choices of something. 6 bits is nothing! Even with 400 players this would only make for 300 bytes of data. You should be able to get more than 20 times as much data over a 54 Kbit modem every second. With that many characters on the screen there are a lot of other things that come into play anyway. And then noone needs to see all details of a char if they are 600 m away. These can be gradually loaded by priority (stats first, then mst visible details, down to the least visible ones, which can have quite a delay even), but I am sure I do not have to tell you that.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2008 10:25AM Kyoji said

Skipjack, what the heck are you talking about? quit playing armchair developer.

I do agree to an extent character creation is a bit lacking, but I'm also familiar with how much gear and misc. can affect the appearance of your character. New characters are supposed to look dull, bland and just like everybody else, because in the game world you're nobody. Not till you start getting places do you start to stand out from the crowd.