Posted: Aug 18th 2008 6:32PM (Unverified) said

I enjoyed hellgate. Sure it was a tad repetitive at times but it was really the most fun fpsmmo (or whatever the given acronym is) I have yet played. It was fast and explody just like I like it.

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 7:30PM Triskelion said

I liked it too, I was in the beta and the beta testers and we all kept submitting the same bug reports and telling them what we felt needed to be addressed. They pretty much ignored us, then the game went live and none of the bugs were fixed, all of the issues in beta were still in retail - yet everyone at FSS, and the die-hard fanboys, swore that FSS had a secret internally tested client that was vastly superior to the beta client.

The game went live and all of the gripes that testers had in beta were now being discovered by retail players so the frustrations mounted. Then FSS was double billing subscribers for zero content and features, and they even screwed that up. Yet again, everyone walked around whistling like everything was fine.

Am I glad the game failed? No, I think HGL had a lot of potential. Am I glad that Roper and his team got bitch slapped? Yes. Roper and crew kept blaming the gamers for their unrealistic expectations and the fanboys screamed that we all needed to be patient. In the meantime the ship was taking on water. I don't like that they tried to deceive us, tell us the truth - it may piss me off but I can manage that. But when you lie I have no tolerance for it.

Posted: Aug 19th 2008 6:40AM (Unverified) said

I was in the beta too...I know exactly what you mean. It was so frustrating.

I'm so glad I didn't choose to subscribe.

On the upside, it does have offline single-player mode. Now if only there was a way to download my level 22 character to play offline..... :P

Posted: Aug 19th 2008 4:53AM (Unverified) said

I remember weeks before release, Bill Roper on 1UPYours talking about how the beta build that pre-orderers were testing was really old, and how great everything was in the newer build. That's not "open and forthcoming," IMO.

I canceled my pre-order after playing the beta for a few hours, thankfully.

Posted: Aug 19th 2008 11:23AM agemyth said

Awesome interview from 1UP. Well worth the read.

Posted: Aug 19th 2008 11:48AM Triskelion said

I'm still pissed at 1UP - or Games for Windows Magazine, I had to read online that the magazine was discontinued. I never received a credit, I had to call and track them down to find out what was going on. I boycott all Ziff Davis products now.

Posted: Aug 20th 2008 6:12PM (Unverified) said

Compelling insight in what the hell was going on over there. Hope they find their way back into the industry soon, to create cool things again after these lessons learned. Best of luck to you guys and props for doing the right thing by your employees.