Posted: Aug 17th 2008 8:32PM (Unverified) said

Processed materials on the auction house is also a great way to pay for your mount at Level 35. From what I've observed most servers seem to value hides and metals over wood, so it may be worth focusing your efforts on those. If you gather while questing as soon as you're able you probably won't need to do any dedicated gathering runs.

If you're going in blind a good starting point in any MMO is raw materials for consumable items. Especially items that directly affect gameplay, health and mana potions being the staple of my gathering efforts in WoW when I was playing a few years ago. The consumables market may be flooded though and it's worth checking out before you put any time into gathering.

Another option would be to track down rare spawns and kill them, they drop shards which are used in crafting.

Posted: Aug 17th 2008 9:32PM (Unverified) said

Go grind mobs that drop 15 or so silver a pop along with reputation items (sell on auction house) and vendor junk. Boring but quick.

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 2:26PM (Unverified) said

Silver is usually a good bet. The prices stay pretty high, and even a lowbie can gather it.

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 1:38AM (Unverified) said

The housing information is rather inaccurate. As of the Book 13 update you do not lose your house.

From the Book 13 release notes http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Release_Notes_Book_13_Official#Of_Special_Note:

When housing upkeep is overdue, instead of foreclosing on your personal or kinship house, we "lock" the house. While your house is locked, you are denied the benefits of home ownership, including entry, access to storage, decorations, travel skill, and vendor discounts. However, your house and all the items it contains will be held for you indefinitely. You can unlock your house at any time by paying a restoral fee via the housing maintenance UI.

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 3:55AM (Unverified) said

yep

no more losing the house, my neighborhood is full, all but maybe 2 houses bought out, and I'm pretty sure only 3 of the houses bought are not locked out due to payment

everyone left and now our hood are dead

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 11:47AM Softserve said

I enjoy housing, but it's really just little more than a money sink. Every week I have to think about spending a bunch of silver on something I barely ever go to.

I might use it more often if there was some sort of ability to invite people to it easily. Say I could mail them an "invite" that will instantly bring them there like their map does. Or there was a mustering horn or something there.

Otherwise expecting people to take a few horses and spend a bunch of money to come look at what I have done is just not worth it to them. As of this point, no one else has seen my house but me and I feel like it kind of defeats the purpose.

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 12:20PM (Unverified) said

I've found that selling unprocessed ore nets me more coin than turning it into ingots first. Yes, a stack of fifty silver ingots sells at auction for a bit more than a stack of fifty silver ore. But it doesn't sell for over twice as much. And that's how much it would need to beat the price of unprocessed ore by to make the ingot-making worth it, as it takes two ore to make one ingot. Two stacks of fifty ore selling for 320 silver pieces beats one stack of fifty ingots selling for 450 silver pieces every time.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014