Posted: Aug 16th 2008 7:31PM (Unverified) said

I've read that a few times through, but I'm not sure what his point is. It starts off with a statement I could agree with, but kind of staggers off in random directions from there. Could be Gamasutra's editting though, they're getting good at making everything said sound confllicting.

Is this available online somewhere? Would be interested to see his reasoning, more of a "oh it's that MUD guy talking about games again" vibe now.

Posted: Aug 16th 2008 7:46PM (Unverified) said

Ok, read 18.. Basically he's saying that the quality of gaming specific training and research at universities is bad because gaming itself isn't respectable and too modern for them still, am I right? The gender comment still doesn't make much sense to me, seems to me it's more of a sociology question which we should ask less of I thought.

I'm all for more game development specific skill development courses, but if you're going to make a university study something it seems the obvious thing other disciplines will be involved, whereas the more vocational specific training is in (semi-)private hands. This isn't so different for, well, any other profession I'd think though.

Posted: Aug 17th 2008 12:59PM (Unverified) said

Recursive>Is this available online somewhere?

Yes, I've put it at http://mud.co.uk/richard/DIS.pdf .

Richard

Posted: Aug 20th 2008 6:03PM (Unverified) said

Ah great, thanks.

I don't understand why the movie example isn't used in the article, I liked it better as a point. The whole university thing though.. well I'm still sort of the opinion that's just how universities are, though it'd be great if there were some more game development specific career options available.

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 7:24AM (Unverified) said

test

Posted: Aug 18th 2008 7:24AM (Unverified) said

@Massively: Guys, your comment system seems to be somewhat broken. It seems to eat my submissions at times (50/50 chance).

@Richard: You might want to outline your blog entry, regarding the gender swapping in MMOs. As it stands now, it's somewhat confusing for those who haven’t read the Guardian article and its review:

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014