Posted: Aug 13th 2008 6:20AM (Unverified) said

I found the swordmasters to have a very neat class mechanic with the stances, but I find them to be... how shall I put this... feminine? I'm more of an endless slaughter/carnage type of monster, rather than a graceful/honoralbe killing being.

However, therin lies the problem. The Dark Elf DPS class is female only and I can't bring myself to play as a girl as stated above. I've expressed my curiosity as to why Mythic chose to make some classes ONLY available to certain genders and to argue lore is, frankly, nonsense. The reason why the original lore 'might' have been developed that way is because at that time it was socially acceptable to descriminate b/t the genders, as WAR lore is quite old.

Back to the topic, the DE's have another issue with no tanks in the early part of the game, leading to interesting public quest runs and low level instances. Yeah, they'll eventually get help from the other Chaos factions, but the beginning will be a real pain.

As much as I loath pretty-boys, I might roll a HE Whitelion and try to NOT be the fragile looking, pretty boys HE's are associated with.

My vote: High Elf

Posted: Sep 1st 2008 9:58PM (Unverified) said

I'm sorry, but have you ever read any Warhammer fluff? If you had, then you would know that certain gender 'problems' are perfectly fine. Witch Elves are female... because they are. Only females are trained to be them. What's your problem with that? Also Sorceresses should be female only, not entirely sure if they are or not.

It would be like having a female Knight.... er please say there isn't, cos thats just wrong. I must admit i havent taken much notice of what classes can be what gender, I think i shall have a look though.

And Lore is everything. Take away the Lore and you have a totally independent game with Warhammer's name... something Games Workshop wouldn't stand for. Neither would I. :D

Posted: Sep 1st 2008 10:04PM (Unverified) said

Oh, I forgot to say I'm playing a Dark Elf, Sorceress.

And I realised that I also said Knight, I meant Witch Hunter... though a female knight would also be wrong.

Posted: Aug 13th 2008 6:25AM (Unverified) said

Mythic didn't make WoW, they made DAoC; a MUCH MUCH MUCH better PvP game, with balance CENTERING ON RVR.

Unlike WoW, who though to add PvP balance later and fundamentally screw with most of their classes to make the effort to balance both.

Another thing about DAoC was there were 3 COMPLETELY different factions that they were able to balance for the most part. (nothing's perfect)

I think MYTHIC is highly capable of balancing classes for RvR, whereas BLIZZARD has shown they take iterations and are still learning how to balance for their PvP systems.

Posted: Aug 13th 2008 6:27AM (Unverified) said

and that was @Brian!'s post, sorry for the confusion and off-topic'ness...

Posted: Aug 13th 2008 1:01PM (Unverified) said

They already have bended some lore (in the TT Maleketh, the DE leader, forbids any male Sorcerers because of a prophecy of a male using magic to kill him - so male Sorcerers are pretty out there to begin with). Witch Elves are brides of the god of murder Khaine - kind of difficult to be a male bride (well okay, only in some states - but that kind of male would be so similar to the female model it wouldn't make a difference).

Opening up Witch Elves to be M/F is just too much. Warhammer has an extremely deep, rich IP to pull inspiration from - but only as long as you use that IP and don't try to twist it for the sake of being 'PC'. What harm is there in making a MDPS class that's female only? If you want to go MDPS so bad there's still the Marauder (male only).

In fact, if you look at the Destruction side it is overwhelmingly male in comparison to the Order side. Black Orcs, Gobbo Shamans, Gobbo Squig Herders, Marauders, and Chosen - all male only (okay - so Greenskins are technically completely lacking in sex being fungal in nature, but noone can argue that they are overwhelmingly male in appearance).

Compared to Order which has no sex locked career.

It just seems silly to have a game which is trying to reproduce the TT lore if you take that game's lore and toss it out the window.

Posted: Aug 13th 2008 11:16PM (Unverified) said

If they had gone and not listed the Dark Elf melee dps as Witch Elf, they could have just used the Assassin.

Rulewise last edition, an Assassin was pretty much a sneaky Witch Elf that could instagib characters. Was pretty fun too =D

But since they're not doing that, it's Shadow Warrior for me.

Why you might ask?

I think it might have something to do with the Shadowlands themed army I've had for a few years...

Posted: Sep 3rd 2008 10:55PM (Unverified) said

I'm all for the side of the Order and, as such, the High Elves are for me. Can hardly wait to lay my hands on some Swordmaster/Shadow Warrior goodness to punt the wimpy Chaos, Greenies and Emoelves out of the face of the world ^_^

Posted: Sep 5th 2008 1:09PM Chriskovo said

Come on orc have got to be the best most entertaining area and side to be. Just trying to understand the quest can be fun as hell with them all talking like low brow Englishmen. :P

Posted: Sep 11th 2008 2:01PM (Unverified) said

I have a small bone to pick with some of these comments.

The Warhammer Univers and the Dark Elves have been around a lot longer than "Emo" has been a word.

That being said, I'm on the fence as well, but I like the Dark's classes a little better. The healer melee (Disciples of Khaine) class looks really fun.