Posted: Aug 11th 2008 8:36AM GenBanks said

High Elves for me, I've always found the Dark Elves (and the Dark Eldar in Warhammer 40K) kind of tacky, even in the tabletop game... too many spikes and purple colours.

However, I probably won't be creating either, I have my eye on a Dwarf Ironbreaker or a Goblin squig herder... or possibly a Chaos zealot :D
I might change my mind when I see the game in person though.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 8:50AM (Unverified) said

The combination of high speed and aggressiveness makes me choose Dark Elves. More over, the look increadably good and nasty.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 8:55AM (Unverified) said

I'm a fence sitter! I can't decide. Traditionally I go with the forces of good in these games BUT Warhammer Online has me thinking twice about going to the dark side.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 3:52PM Ghen said

hehe I'm pretty much in that position, just opposite. I'm normally a bad guy because they seem slightly more mature but these elves look purdy.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 9:16AM (Unverified) said

I am new to the Warhammer universe and becoming a fan of Destruction (epically the Greenskins as I am long time fans of Orcs). However the Shadow Warrior looks great also. I can or see many alts, of both sides, on two servers.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 9:56AM Jeromai said

I want to play a White Lion, therefore the decision is moot.

Unfortunately, I need to play a bunch of greenskins and a Chaos Chosen a lot sooner than a White Lion, so I'll be going Destruction first.

Perhaps another server later for namby pamby goodiness...with a big axe and a sharp-toothed feline.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 11:14AM (Unverified) said

To be honest, that whole "I'M EVIL! EEEEEEEEEEVIL!" thing would get to me after a while. Ultimate Emo.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 11:44AM Valdur said

I`m playing a Empire(Warrior Priest) but the White Lion looks an interesting class to play,I guess I've found my alt.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 12:30PM (Unverified) said

I love my orc. Thats about all I can say till they lift the nda lol.

Posted: Aug 13th 2008 6:18PM (Unverified) said

actually, you can't even say that lol.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 1:38PM Anatidae said

Whatever the reason, the huge crowds are going Chaos in WAR. They *say* things will be balanced, but I doubt it.

WoW made Horde the "one to be" in PvP for a long run of imbalances. I don't run WoW anymore, so I don't know if Horde still hold that slight edge, but for years the average PvP winner would be Horde unless it was open world where they were just overrun by alliance 3+ to 1.

Even known it is a different game, I can't help but to believe that Chaos is going to have a combat advantage over Order in WAR.

Thus, I will go High Elf if I want to join the underdogs, which is what made Horde so cool in the start of WoW. Or maybe I will go dark elf just so I can be on the winning side because it seems the majority of mains will be evil with the alts being good making the chaos side much more skilled due to gameplay time.

Hard choice there.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 2:11PM (Unverified) said

You can't have toons on both sides on the same server.

Posted: Aug 13th 2008 6:16PM (Unverified) said

Horde really never had an inherent advantage other than the one that comes from being more aggressive and confident from the beginning. There's something about playing a hulking beast that makes you feel like you can crush the pretty elf guy, no matter if there isn't any real advantage. There are a couple battlegroups where Alliance wins 3:1 rather than the other way around. It's quite funny playing horde on those servers, hearing everyone complain that Horde can't win AB... it's like Bizarro WoW. Everyone has a goatee there too.

Oh and to answer the question, I plan on playing both High Elf and Dark. :) Whichever turns out to be more fun, I'll stick with it.

Posted: Aug 14th 2008 4:33PM Anatidae said

Barth,

Horde did have an advantage. Warstomp, a stun, is a good example. Especially early on when there were no diminishing returns. You could be chained stunned for quite some time from a pack of taurens. The Undead have resist fear, which is also an advantage in PvP.

Basically, in every MMO I have played, Stuns/sleeps/holds/fear are almost always the main tool to win a match. If a team has access to these tools and the other team does not, then the stunning team can win with far less skill.

After all, in PvP you can't kill anything when stunned. You just take damage while the opponent heals and deals it out. When you can't stun back all you can do is run.

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 7:33PM (Unverified) said

WoW balanced the population out eventually. Horde were still better at pvp though but it was the maturity level/organization not in game imbalances

Posted: Aug 21st 2008 11:24PM Anatidae said

True, in WoW horde did eventually level out and the imbalances were fixed. Just early on Horde had a slight advantage. They also had the advantage of teamwork as Horde could always find an Alliance to fight but Alliance had a hard time finding horde (like as in long queue times).

It is interesting that this came up, because now that I can talk about WAR, there IS in fact a weight to destruction so far. At least with the CE people in the closed beta. We will see what preview weekend and open beta brings. Also the Road to War shows a weight to destruction as well.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 2:10PM (Unverified) said

I wold probably choose High Elf, mostly because at launch, the Dark Elves will only have 3 classes, with no tank, and the High Elves will have a tank and all 4 classes. I wouldn't want to be a clothie on the side with no tanks!

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 3:21PM (Unverified) said

Plan to play a Disciple of Khaine, so Dark Elf. Next in line would either be a Chaos Zealot or High Elf Archmage.

Posted: Aug 12th 2008 4:32AM (Unverified) said

Shadow Warrior for me. Although when I do roll Destruction on another server I will be trying some Dark Elf characters. Not sure if my g/f will like me playing a Witch Elf though :-\

Posted: Aug 12th 2008 8:33AM (Unverified) said

Like others have said, I normally would go with the "good side" (always played Alliance in WoW, eventhough I know that technically they're not the "good side" :P), but despite some of the emo-ness of the Dark Elves, they seem to have a more unique look to them.

Although I agree, I believe the majority of people (kids) will probably role Chaos.