Posted: Aug 10th 2008 7:35PM (Unverified) said

A very good presentation of the game and the Q&A answered a couple of questions I had. This game is at least 2 years away so things are subject to change but I think Cryptic knows that alot of people are hoping they make a great Star Trek game. And its nice to know Champions will be out in April 2009, did not know that one.

Posted: Aug 10th 2008 7:40PM (Unverified) said

Well, I couldn't disagree more on the art direction part. You guys must be into more drab and realistic looks, right?

EVE is pretty, but played out. Just a lot of Nebulae and spaceships. STO looks like it has some diversity of environment, and that's what the tired old grindfest of EVE online needs for competition.

Posted: Aug 10th 2008 8:12PM (Unverified) said

I'm not asking for a lack of colors. What I would like to see is a bit more visual fidelity in the vein of Star Trek as most of us have come to know it.

The visual style overall isn't bad. I just wish that I couldn't tell this was the same engine that Champions Online is running one.

Posted: Aug 10th 2008 11:54PM (Unverified) said

I think the more stylized look is fine.

When a studio goes for a stylized look color tends to get more attention (not always but generally).

A lot of studios that aim for a more realistic feel to the graphics tend to do this: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=224

More realistic graphics are fine but they appear to more difficult for studios to get them right. They usually end up with a very drab world.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 2:00AM (Unverified) said

Looks fantastic to me. And unless I'm mistaken, looks like some of the interpersonal combat was from a Klingon's perspective.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 2:08AM (Unverified) said

Too cartoonish.. :s Not even as good Eve IMO MMO Newz

Posted: Aug 12th 2008 9:54PM Haggs said

I thought the graphics looked awesome! I wasn't that excited about STO, but this video might have just converted me.

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 11:36AM (Unverified) said

It's way to early for me to pass judgement. We're still in the "we'll promise the world *cough*tohypethegame*cough*" mode for Cryptic. As it gets closer to launch, I'd like to see how the game looks and what options are finalized and avail. But, just by the looks, I'm intrigued. And that's saying alot! B/c I'm smart enough to know Star Wars > Star Trek!

Posted: Aug 11th 2008 4:32PM (Unverified) said

The engine does look.. familiar yeah, but it's early I suppose (I wonder if there'll be fan photoshops *snicker*).

As for visual comparisons with current titles.. well, EVE can be pretty stunning. I'm not entirely convinced we'll see anything like that elsewhere any time soon, even with the slew of space MMOs coming out. It's also a game whose mechanics are kind of different from what we're used to though, doubt that's what they're going for here. Either way, CoX was always gameplay over graphics, I'll give em a bit.

I heard the words "infinite exploration" and had a hard time keeping a straight face, but if they manage to catch that "feel" with original planet and space settings as shown so far..

Remains to be seen if they pull it off of course, but as announcements go, they had Spock! :O

Betawatch: November 15 - 21, 2014

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 8:00PM

The Stream Team: No more Landmark tour deaths!

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 3:00PM