Posted: Aug 4th 2008 10:24AM (Unverified) said

I'm OK with this. I rat in 0.0 space and it really pisses me off that some of these guys in cruisers outrun me constantly.

Posted: Aug 4th 2008 11:02AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for a great article which brings me, the eternal CareBear, up to speed with the nano nerf situation.

As you've explained, the modifications seem intelligent and designed to bring back some balance into the game, as well as some fun for PvPers.

Awesome feature mate!!

CK

Posted: Aug 4th 2008 12:25PM Wgraves said

this may also bring back sniper frigs and cruisers as you might have more that 5 seconds to fire before an enemy can close 100KM.

Posted: Aug 5th 2008 9:18AM (Unverified) said

Is it just me, or is this whole "speed" thing somehow **wrong** for a space game?

I mean, I understand that's how EVE works. And, I guess in a games where "mining" asteroids might be better describedas "farming" asteroids, I shouldn't complain.

And, I love EVE.

But there's no atmosphere in space. Ships don't have a speed limit (other than the speed of light). Smaller vessels with a higher engine-to-mass ratio should have a higher **acceleration**, and that should give them a combat advantage. But **speed**? Newtonian Mechanics just doesn't work that way.

Perhaps that would be unplayable. And, yes, again, I agree that EVE is fun. But the physicist in me cringes at the misconceptions about how things work in space promulgated by EVE's *wildly* incorrect model of space motions.

Posted: Aug 5th 2008 12:12PM Brendan Drain said

I was of the same mind when I started playing EVE, the lack of newtonian physics and collisions was disappointing. Things like realistic physics are often sacrificed in the name of better gameplay. It might feel wrong to begin with but the game would be a lot worse off with realistic newtonian physics. As you said, it could be totally unplayable.

Posted: Aug 6th 2008 12:54AM (Unverified) said

I'm not convinced it *has* to be unplayable.

Back in my Amiga days, I played "Frontier" (Elite II), which *did* use Newtonian Physics. Combats were fun, but kinda spaztic and not as much fun (nor as easy to grok at least at the basic level) as combats in EVE.

I think it would be difficult to make it playable, but I wish they'd tried :) (Or maybe they did?) The notion of a speed limit in space at nonrelativistic just *bugs* me.

A playable solution would probably have something similar to the "fly by wire" system that was in Frontier, although better and more effective than that, and other in-game computer-assiseted autopilot functions to help you cope with the physics instead of playing each EVE combat like a game of Lunar Lander, but... well, the real physics would be there, and that would make me happy.

Posted: Aug 7th 2008 8:17AM Wgraves said

when i am trying to look for a fluff answer to this problem i usually just go with the concept that over a certain speed the ship can no longer handle properly or other systems(communications, ship structures in a high g turn) may be affected, limiting the speed. im not sure what these would be but it makes me happy.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014