Posted: Aug 1st 2008 4:18PM Crsh said

"People like the illusion of choice"

Oh grats, really.. His role-model must be The Merovingian from The Matrix: Reloaded.

Weep my friends, weep.

Posted: Aug 1st 2008 4:27PM Mystal said

What I got out of the gamasutra article:

"I don't really know much about designing games, but neither do most people. So I mostly focus on keeping people motivated, and when people question my design decisions I find a reason to dismiss them and their concerns."

Paul is like a bull in china shop. At some point in WAR's life cycle he's going to make a very bad decision, and he's going to make it a lot worse than it has to be through sheer stubbornness. That worked (one time) for Brad McQuaid so I guess it can work for Paul Barnett too.

Posted: Aug 1st 2008 5:23PM KaTing said

This guy would be right at home working at Wal-Mart, where they make everyone do a cheer every morning. If you're late for the cheer, or you don't do it enthusiastically, your manager notes this.

Posted: Aug 1st 2008 6:58PM (Unverified) said

"I hire less talented believers over talented heretics every time. Three-star ability with five-star drive is how you want it. The other way around leads you to hell."

Couldn't agree more. This comment shows that he understands something about people that so many do not. It's not the person with the most talent that goes on to succeed, it's the person who worked the hardest at what they were trying to archive, learned from their failures and had the tenacity to continue.

Posted: Aug 1st 2008 7:02PM (Unverified) said

Lol what the hell? :D He contradicts himself in half his statements. And the heretics bit was hilarious!

Will you marry me Paul Barnett?

As for illusion of choice.. well, that won't be a WAR problem, will it?

Posted: Aug 4th 2008 11:14AM (Unverified) said

I'd also like to point out something Paul Barnett wrote, where he clarifies what was said during his speech.

Definitely worth a read, and it does shed light on what the Gamasutra piece (my source for this post) wasn't able to include in their summary of his talk.

For what it's worth, I thought his example of the 'heretic' was great. Take that word away and his ideas still ring loud and clear -- it's better to have people onboard who are passionate about what they do than others who (despite their talent and years of experience) bring negativity to the table.

Posted: Aug 4th 2008 6:10PM (Unverified) said

We-ell.. I think the word heretic was an.. interesting choice. And you can't just have the dreamers either though, sometimes you need a bit of a heretic to keep things going forth.

> If you have ability but an unsalvageable poor attitude (a bad fit for the company) then better to let them go

This I can agree with.

As for the rest.. He still strikes me as a bit of a McQuaid (but Brad did have his moments of genius so I can live with that), but if it was just a compilation of comments that does explain the weird way that thing was written.

Phew. There is still hope.

Posted: Aug 1st 2008 10:59PM Anatidae said

I only have one thing to say to Paul...

Where the hell is my beta invite? Seriously... I'm waiting here! Look me up, I'm the one living on Brooklyn St in Portland. I dying here in MMO mediocrity. Save me!

Brian!