Posted: Jul 28th 2008 9:39PM (Unverified) said

Best MMO ever.

OK, probably not even close, but for me back in the day I was in love with this game. If you never played it or if at the time you were only interested in long, boring EQ raids you will probably never understand this games appeal.

But for the lucky ones who played this game in the beginning we got to experience a brilliant game in the early days of MMOs.

Posted: Jul 29th 2008 7:25AM (Unverified) said

For giggles I read the dev tracker on the AC site. Apparently the AC servers are getting hardware upgrades. Maybe it will see some sort of basic graphical upgrade?

I still rock this game for a couple weeks every half year or so. It's so different, and so big.

Posted: Jul 29th 2008 9:38AM Greenimp said

AC was my first real mmo. I had played a few no-name ones prior to AC, but I spent my 11th, 12th and freshmen year of college playing this game till my eyes bled.

I attempted to go back and play again a few months ago... It's weird how dated it felt. After a couple years of playing newer MMO's, the graphics and movement made me cringe.

All the same, I've never been able to replace the fun and addiction AC provided. I doubt I ever will.

Posted: Jul 29th 2008 11:34AM (Unverified) said

I absolutely loved this game. The class free character development has never been done since which is a real shame. I still mention this game as my favorite of all time, no other game has ever been just so simply FUN since. That's the thing with most modern mmo's, they all have the same carrot on a stick system. After you get over the first couple week "glow" of em they all seem exactly the same with a few minor tweeks. Asheron's call is still a favorite, I still have the original game disk from when it came out because I havn't had the heart to throw it away. Sort of like a picture of that one girlfriend that didn't break your heart hehe.
The graphics are the only reason I do not play it still, if they would update em enough so I didn't feel like I was playing a Lego game I would dump all the rest of this grind grind raidalution crap im playing now and be back in a heartbeat. Hell re-release the game! Just don't AC2 us again, I was pumped up about the expansion till I heard the tie job mention how they had "totally reinvented the game!". Don't reinvent, just update. Punch your marketing guy in the mouth if he doesn't like it cause he has no idea what hes doing anyways.

Posted: Jul 29th 2008 12:13PM Softserve said

The game honestly does sound interesting. I play LotRO and every so often the developers mention this or that was inspired by AC... for example, the world event stuff going on currently.

I would really have liked to have gotten to try it back in the day. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an obvious trial, but it's also so hideous that I don't think I could get past that.

If they were to revamp the engine I would seriously consider it.

Honestly, I just wish Turbine offered an all-access pass already. Then I could also play DDO and not feel like I'm blowing tons of money.

Posted: Jul 29th 2008 12:21PM (Unverified) said

Trial is right on the left of the homepage, but if you actually wanted to try it you'd need to just tell yourself that you're going to suck it up and do it despite the graphics.

Just since we're getting all nostalgic, the best part of this game is the "guild" system. You can swear allegance to someone (your patron). XP you make gets passed to this person (no detriment to you). One person can have up to 12 people under them. As a vassal, you have a direct chat channel to your patron (/p) and him to you (/v). The person at the top of this chain is the monarch. The monarch can buy a guild house (Actual land occupying houses, no instances!) and you can recall there anytime to hang out with others in the guild.

Posted: Jul 29th 2008 1:40PM (Unverified) said

I actually really loved the patron system. The family I was in was pretty huge, and since we were on the pvp server it was important that the guys at the head of the snake be on allot to provide us cover while we did crap. I still remember a ton of very pleasant hours spent with the family patron running around out in the middle of nowhere. God I really miss this game all of a sudden!
I will never forget when I left for a business trip and came back a month later, a couple of my vassals had gone recruitment crazy and when I logged in it was like a 30 second steady woosh of levels I gained offline from the xp chain hahaha. Took me forever to decided where to put all the skill points ;) The system worked so very well because it made the higher level players more invested in helping the lower level ones out. The better you did the better they did, and after about 100 every little trickle of xp made a huge difference!

Posted: Aug 25th 2008 5:26PM (Unverified) said

My first mmo also, i very much liked tons and tons of content/changes made on *shock* monthly basis, i remember camping of first set of houses like idiot for 7 days, very good skills/leveling system, XP chains, damn
tuskers, Aerlinthe (spelling?) island, feeling of achievement when you made your first composite bow etc etc. Sadly and probably game of this quality will not
appear again.