Posted: Jul 23rd 2008 10:16AM (Unverified) said

Age of Conan's character creation is fairly decent also.

I have to say that this game looks... Bad. Just seeing those insanely over the top asian themed armors makes me feel sick.

Something about these Asian culture themed mmos is just not even remotely appealing to me, as I have unfortunately played a few. I'm sure this appeals to kids in their "i want to be a demi-god" stage of their adolescence though.

Sorry if I offend ;)

Posted: Jul 23rd 2008 2:29PM (Unverified) said

You don't offend, but there is a definite flavor that comes with these types of games. AoC looks gritty and gross to me, this game looks gorgeous. But in my case, even as an American, I had already played and beat Final Fantasy 1-6 before I touched any western MMOs like Ultima or Forgotten Realms. You probably have a different story.

Eastern and Western RPGs, while sharing many traits, are also very distinct, and have specific looks and feels. It's a matter of taste.

Honestly, I think this game will fill a current gap in Eastern MMOs in Western/European countries. Unless you play Lineage, FFXI or one of the free-to-play Korean MMOs, there's really not much to pick from. And I've already tried most of those. I hope this will introduce something new, lest I go back to Phantasy Star Online/Universe.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2008 10:46AM Arkanaloth said

I think Aios artstyle is amazing and simply stunning.. I'm *GREATLY* looking forward to it's US release. Western mmo's typically have a pretty deep character generation system.. AOC, EQ2, Vanguard.. etc... This factor is typically missing in korean and other asian mmo's but it looks like Aion's really trying to rebel against this stereotype..

as for the armor style of most Asian mmo's, I guess it could only appeal to people who appreciate a more artistic and sublime flair.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2008 2:03PM (Unverified) said

i'm with NuZZ. The style is beyond tired.

Posted: Jul 28th 2008 12:24PM MrMT said

To be honest, it looks like a million variations on pretty elves to me.

I am yet to see a character customisation that rivals City of Villains; that was so much fun.

Where are the pot bellied, the weird, the bizarre, the fantastical, the ugly, mishapen, etc?

Posted: Jul 31st 2008 1:09AM (Unverified) said

Definite FF feel to it, awesome detailing on the characters. I'll tell you I can't get enough. Looks like there is anything from natural to goth, and I am sure with enough determination, MarkT, I'm sure there's some combo you can do to make the characters look pot bellied or at least bizarre. :) Thumbs up for finding this awesome vid.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM